IT.COM

discuss A "premium" domain for a standard price? How it works?

Spaceship Spaceship
Watch

owuha

Impact
Welcome

I noticed that i can find domains that are free but have the suffix "premium". This is the case for many companies like OVH, Namecheap, Porkburn and much more.

For each of them the price of the domain is a bit different? How does it work? What does this price depend on?

What's more interesting is that I found an interesting premium domain for 300 USD on the website internet.bs at a normal price (about 50 USD)? Is it possible? Maybe an error? Or maybe in general internet.bs is a suspicious company (according to the opinion on the Internet)?

How do these "premium" domains work? Will you introduce the principles of the same "premium" domains in many operators? Thanks for help !

•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
•••
Getting premium domain at cheap prices are not just common only if the seller does not know the value, just be careful

•••
How does the premium domain work? Well, the registrar registers a generic keyword domain for $8 and labels it as a premium domain, makes a listing on all domain marketplaces and if there are no offers in a certain time limit, they offer it at an auction.

When a domain registrar labels a domain name premium, they may have to support the domain registration for a number of years out of their pocket, so the auction is a way to offload some of that expense.

However, be mindful from who you buy a premium or even a basic domain name. To this day I have not done any business with internet*bs and I can not confirm if they are a reputable company.

Better wait a bit for more feedback from forum members.

•••
Better wait a bit for more feedback from forum members.

Thanks for reply.

Pls tell if this provider is ok ? i mean internet.bs.
There is so many bad revievs on the web. But on the other side they are registered on ICAAN.

Or mby this is just mistake ?

Really i want to buy one good domain 10x cheaper but im not sure they are not scammers etc. Im afraid about my funds and about my privacy ( i wrote about them they can ask for KYC without any reason so it is horrible in my opinion)

•••
•••
Hi, we are definitely not scammers (.bs means the Bahamas)

You have a lot of negative comments. Generally, it does not look good. I'm surprised that you have licenses. Additionally, you take documents from your clients! What is the law?

Do you want to tell me that they have such "restrictions" in Bahamas? Kidding me?

•••
We only ask for documents from customers if we have some concerns about their activity. 99% percent of customers would never be asked for this. It is for proof of identity.

Last edited:
•••
some of these premium are sold on several markeplace that have a partnership
and the price can be quite different from one to another,
usually the best price is where the domain is registered

•••
The very problem with even your own question is clarity and meaning.

The term "Premium Domain" actually has multiple definitions both subjective and technical.

You really should clarify what you're asking by listing the specific domain in question.

Here are some (probably not all) meanings of "Premium domain"

1- For ngTLD domains, most new domain extension registries have set aside sub-sets of domains that they consider and have labelled as Premium. Which means that the TLD registry charges the registrars (like internet.bs and GoDaddy) a higher amount for these domains, who in turn have no choice but to charge more for these domains than they do regular domains.

The higher "premium" charges could be:
A) A one time initial price with regular renewal prices.
B) A fixed same higher price for both initial purchase and renewals.
C) A premium higher initial price, plus higher than normal renewals.

Note that these "premium" amounts differ for each ngTLD and often times there are even multiple different premium pricing tiers for the same ngTLD.

Each registrar always markups up their prices on top of their base wholesale cost from the registries, so prices certainly could be different between different registrars, but it's important to remember that the decision to make a particular ngTLD domain "Premium" is a decision made by the registry and NOT registrars.

2- The various domain aftermarkets also use the term "premium" with various segments of domains .. usually nothing to do with the actual quality of domains.

For example, GoDaddy aftermarket effectively labels all non-auction aftermarket domains as "Premium". There is no quality control or minimum requirements to get the title "Premium" in this case.

Another example is right here in the NamePros sales forums where sellers tell people the domain they are selling is "premium", even if 95% of the time the domain is completely worthless.

Another form of this 2nd definition of Premium, is when domains listed at Sedo or Afternic or similar reseller platforms go into syndication on various partner registrars. In some of those cases there may or may not be a further markup. Basically meaning that if you list your domain at Sedo, their MLS system makes the domain available at multiple registrars who take the price given to them by Sedo, and then also sometimes put an extra amount for their own profit.

At the end of the day you really need to ignore the term "premium" if trying to assess the actual quality of the domain, as most of the time the "premium" label is completely arbitrary and more a marketing gimmick.

If a ngTLD domain is available for hand registration and labelled "premium", then it's the registry, and usually nothing to do with the actual registrar where you are buying the domain. So there are fixed base amounts already set by the registry, however, additional markup amounts can vary between registrars, particularly for higher priced "premium" domains. So definitely shop around between registrars, but at the end of the day a "premium ngTLD" will always be more expensive than "non-premium ngTLD" domains.

Also note that the premium list for each ngTLD can change over time, as can the initial and renewal amounts. These are all arbitrary decisions from the different registries who own the ngTLDs in question.

===============

You have a lot of negative comments. Generally, it does not look good. I'm surprised that you have licenses. Additionally, you take documents from your clients! What is the law? Do you want to tell me that they have such "restrictions" in Bahamas? Kidding me?

@owuha ... You are making a lot of negative insinuations again internet.bs clearly without being very informed yourself. I've never used them, so can't vouch for them either way if they are good or not, but I heavily recommend you stop being so negative against a company before you've fully informed yourself.

Last edited:
•••
Welcome

I noticed that i can find domains that are free but have the suffix "premium". This is the case for many companies like OVH, Namecheap, Porkburn and much more.

For each of them the price of the domain is a bit different? How does it work? What does this price depend on?

What's more interesting is that I found an interesting premium domain for 300 USD on the website internet.bs at a normal price (about 50 USD)? Is it possible? Maybe an error? Or maybe in general internet.bs is a suspicious company (according to the opinion on the Internet)?

How do these "premium" domains work? Will you introduce the principles of the same "premium" domains in many operators? Thanks for help !

I think you mean you are going to a registrar and searching for a .com name and seeing it market as premium. What for example Name.com is telling you is that the domain is already registered but it's someone who has activated sales through an MLS at Sedo or Afternic, so Name.com wants to show you where you can buy it so they can get a commission on the sale. And these don't always look the same, on Name.com they might list it with a buy it now like if you search resett.com, or make an offer and a link to Sedo like Jozie.com.

The bottomline the registrars are looking for a commission, they denote premium so you understand it costs more than a standard registration fee.

•••
Ok guys thanks for this good info.

One thing is unclear.
I was thinking about xux.tv domain and it's everywhere as a premium. However, I noticed that probably all 3 letter tv domains are marked as premium.

After all, it's a white day robbery. All for money , money , money..

•••
Again @owuha .. I highly suggest you direct your calls of robbery to the correct target. If indeed 3L .tv are premium then you have no business making the negative statements you made against @Internet.bs and you should indeed apologise and/or retract your negative insinuations as well as be careful to actually do some investigating, research and to inform yourself in the future before being critical of others. (Your frustrations should be directed at the .tv registry itself .. aka the actual owners of .tv .. aka Verisign on behalf of the nation of Tuvalu)

There certainly is a lot of negative things and scamming going on in the domain industry .. and it's fine and actually encouraged to report the scammers and cheaters ... but it hurts everyone when false and uninformed complaints are made! :(

Last edited:
•••

One thing is unclear.
I was thinking about xux.tv domain and it's everywhere as a premium. However, I noticed that probably all 3 letter tv domains are marked as premium.

There are hundreds 3 letter .tv (without vowels) dropping on Dynadot for basically regfee. I wouldn't call any of them premium.

•••
xux .tv isn't worth hundreds to reg. But there are others that may be.

•••
There are hundreds 3 letter .tv (without vowels) dropping on Dynadot for basically regfee. I wouldn't call any of them premium.

really u cant find it ?

first serve searching and for example:
gea.tv - premium - Wa Ta F*..

mea.tv...
zea.tv..

etc ?

•••
really u cant find it ?

first serve searching and for example:
gea.tv - premium - Wa Ta F*..

mea.tv...
zea.tv..

etc ?

Sorry. I don't understand what you are telling me. Please explain why I should find xux.tv, mea.tv, zea.tv on which platform?

•••

One thing is unclear.

Verisign who runs the .tv registry does make 3L.tv a premium registration. Now if you can catch it expiring on Dynadot you won't have to pay the premium, the original registrant did. So you can reg an expiring name for Dynadot's lowest price same with Name.com. But if it drops then Verisign will make it a premium registration.

•••
Good gentlemen, tell me please where the cheapest way to buy such a "premium" domain is.

•••
Good gentlemen, tell me please where the cheapest way to buy such a "premium" domain is.

Wrong question. You need to ask where is the xxx.tv registered, so you can participate in where-ever the domain is being auctioned off as an expiring domain, by examining the policies of the registrar. ie: does the registrar auction of the domain themselves (ala Dynadot) or do they send their expiring domains to GoDaddy Auctions (ala GoDaddy + a lot of other registrars).

•••
  • The sidebar remains visible by scrolling at a speed relative to the page’s height.
Back