Dynadot

question A plan for contacting end-users.

Spaceship Spaceship
Watch

greggb

Established Member
Impact
So, I purchased a few two-word .coms related to some well-known industries. I think they're pretty good, but of course I would :) Today I created a script that finds a ton of websites with specified keywords, along with a contact-management tool. Then I started sending off emails.

It's kind of weird for me, because I hate selling, and in fact I've always felt bad when trying to sell something to someone. I'm a lousy salesman. I've read that the key to doing well in domaining is in being a good salesman, but I really don't think I have that in me.

I'm thinking a better approach, given my personality and abilities, is to put a lot of lines in the water and wait for a fish to hook itself. It has to happen sooner or later, right? Someone has to see that domain and decide it's worth the price I'm asking. I've given BIN prices to these domains with the option to make an offer. I'm only asking $299 on one, and $199 on another, and I'm not sure about the 3rd. But the point is that, from the perspective of the buyer, they can have these domain names at an affordable price without all the hassle of negotiating. According to Sedo, domain names with affordable BINs sell 40% more often than those without, by the same logic.

I figure every other day I'll send out 5 new emails for each domain, and one day someone will whip out their credit card and buy it.

Is there anything wrong with that plan?

Thanks

•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
5 Emails per day is not enough. You need to think like business man.

•••
•••
Spammer send at least 10k emails a day. We just need to send out at least 50 Emails a day.

•••
I am doing a lot of research on outbound marketing and contacting end users. It seems there are 2 types of approaches, 1st blasting personal emails to related/similar sites to email addresses that are found by using Whois. This seems to be a good method since the more people you contact the better your chances of getting a response.

I thought this too but further research shows the importance of dedicating enough time towards finding the right contact within a company that may be interested in buying your domain name. By finding the right person to contact you will need less emails to send out and will actually get a response.

I am curious Kate what is your approach or preference?

- Will

•••
The first and most important thing wrong is your script that finds websites with specified keywords. I should be expecting your spam email soon, I guess.

•••
Good luck with it mate.

But do you filter the database that your script fetches? I mean emailing every site your script finds isn't going to be a good way to go and you will be wasting your time and energy without seeing any result.

My advice, like @Willox Perez have said, try finding the right contacts and then email them. And try to personalize your emails so that it can pass spam filters.

•••
  • The sidebar remains visible by scrolling at a speed relative to the page’s height.
Back