Dynadot

advice A good strategy for new domainers

NameSilo
Watch
Hey guys and gals,

I am not active much on NP anymore but from time to time I like to share a tidbit of advice to new domainers.

1. List your domain names everywhere

• afternic
  • sedo
  • epik
  • unimarket
  • list for sale through your registrar if they have a marketplace etc.
The more places you have your names listed the more eyes will be on your names.

2. Transfer your domains to a registrar that supports DLS..

Good example of this and my fav is Afternic DLS. If I buy or win a domain at say dropcatch.com, the domain is then transferred to namebright.com.

Transfer your name from namebright to godaddy, namesilo, dynadot etc. These registrars support the sedo and Afternic "DLS"(Domain Listing Service).

Your domain names become visible at all of the afternic and sedo partner sites. Afternic has over 700 partner sites, so if someone searches your name, it comes up in search results with a BIN price instead of saying the name is unavailable.

Hope someone takes something from this.

Cheers

•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
Thanks @JudgeMind for sharing resourceful strategy for every new comers.I’m in the phase of learning into Domaining.
Regards
DpakH

Last edited:
•••
Thanks for the post on an important topic @JudgeMind.

Why do you not have DAN/Undeveloped on your list? I would think that is an obvious choice as well.

Also if it is a brandable type name the brandable marketplaces should be considered.

Just as a further aid expanding your line re registrar marketplaces, a few are GoDaddy (although Afternic combined), Epik, NameSilo, Namecheap, Dynadot. What others are out there?

Thanks again,

Bob

•••
Would you guys add Flippa?

•••
The pricing now on Flippa (although a bit better than it was, they seem to keep changing it, now I think $10 per domain to list) makes it not worthwhile in my view as a place to sell domains unless you feel really sure it will sell. I prefer venues where you only pay if the name sells. If I was selling a web based business (i.e. domain+content) I would definitely consider them. I might consider them for certain types of names, but have not used their service. Their promotion feels to get your name noticed are fairly significant as well. But I have not used them. I have names at DAN, Sedo, Afternic, Epik, Dynadot, Namecheap, NameSilo personally, and sell occasionally on NamePros. I also use my own website.
Bob

•••
I guess I am already following your advice. I have all my names of my small portfolio listed on Sedo, Afternic, Dan while on epik market only epik names are listed. some are at squadhelp. Some are Afternic Fast Transfer and some are in Sedo MLS. Some have epik landers, some have dan's, some have ns3.afternic nameservers and sedo mls ones have forwards to the Sedo offer pages.

•••
It seems to me that almost independent of where you list, it is where you have the DNS pointed that it is most likely to sell. That is it seems much of the sales actually come when someone guesses your name and wants it and finds it that way, as opposed to search on sites (this is presuming you are not talking selling to other domainers).

I have not yet personally used them because at first I had very few brandable names, and since then spend all my time on NamePros rather than getting names listed new places :xf.eek: but despite the commissions I do think the brandable markets make sense, particularly for those with a good eye for domains but don't like to do the actual selling directly.

Bob

Last edited:
•••
The pricing now on Flippa (although a bit better than it was, they seem to keep changing it, now I think $10 per domain to list) makes it not worthwhile in my view as a place to sell domains unless you feel really sure it will sell. I prefer venues where you only pay if the name sells. If I was selling a web based business (i.e. domain+content) I would definitely consider them. I might consider them for certain types of names, but have not used their service. Their promotion feels to get your name noticed are fairly significant as well. But I have not used them. I have names at DAN, Sedo, Afternic, Epik, Dynadot, Namecheap, NameSilo personally, and sell occasionally on NamePros. I also use my own website.
Bob

Thank you. Yeah I have a domain I really believe in. Might consider Flippa for that one only in my portfolio at the moment.
When you said "DAN" , an abbreviation for ?

Thank you

•••
Thank you. Yeah I have a domain I really believe in. Might consider Flippa for that one only in my portfolio at the moment.

Thank you
DAN = domain automation network = DAN.com

•••
Yes DAN is the newish name for Undeveloped. They are still smaller (they have about 5 million listings) than Sedo and Afternic in listings, but growing more rapidly. They have sold more than $100 million in domain names, and have no listing fees, good landers, offer payment plan options for sales over $495, an easy interface, and they are fantastic in doing transactions and pay really fast. Their commissions are competitive with no minimum. If you bring the lead yourself the commission is even lower.
Bob

•••
Thanks for the post on an important topic @JudgeMind.

Why do you not have DAN/Undeveloped on your list? I would think that is an obvious choice as well.

Also if it is a brandable type name the brandable marketplaces should be considered.

Just as a further aid expanding your line re registrar marketplaces, a few are GoDaddy (although Afternic combined), Epik, NameSilo, Namecheap, Dynadot. What others are out there?

Thanks again,

Bob
if I added everything there would be nothing for us to further discuss :)
Thank you Bob

•••
Not a good choice in my opinion, at least not for new domainers that are getting started with a low budget. Flippa can still sell names for you, but only the best names will do really well at flippa. Flippa has changed immensely over the past 4-5 years, it was at one time (during the Kevin Fink reign) a great place to sell domain names.

•••
•••
I have a question, let's say for example I buy/reg domain on godaddy but change my nameserver to Dan and list domain on Dan with lander. And If domain gets sale on Dan, would that sale be consider on Dan or Godaddy ?
Reason I am asking because when I refer report completed domain sale here on NP, majority sale I could see on Dan and Afternic, also sedo, but when I refer daily sale on Namebio then majority sale at godaddy, sedo and others and never seen Dan or afternic.
Am I missing something? Happy to learn.
Thanks.

•••
You mean Uniregistry, for sure?
Uniregistry's market place is called UniMarket I think.

They now go by Uni also, and I see they also own UNR.com

I think the best choice for newbies is Epik, take advantage of Rob's generous $6.49 transfers, free $2 in your pocket per domain, integrate a BIN/Make Offer/Lease into your lander, low cost renewals, this will help newbies preserve burning of funds, good payout options on sale. Doesn't hurt that you can usually get the CEO of a company to answer your email in less than 30 mins either.

Godaddy has a great aftermarket in their premium listing, and they spend a fortune on ads, so for sure, but leasing can really help close sales, even if defaults are high, you keep funds, and get the name back, not a bad deal. Namesilo also offers leasing, but their terms are limited, Epik has some interesting ideas with down payments, and think it over type plans.

Dan is pretty good in how they are trying to do things differently, have to give them credit, they are thinking outside the box, and making a lot sales on their platform. Their downside is they don't own their own registry.

At the end of the day the domain is going to bring the customer wherever, but option of payment options, and trust within the platform, and it's brand will help close sales more effectively, and quickly.

Not telling anyone to do anything, but just letting people know the best way to make it in this business is to stay lean, and keep moving domains.

Last edited:
•••
I have a question, let's say for example I buy/reg domain on godaddy but change my nameserver to Dan and list domain on Dan with lander. And If domain gets sale on Dan, would that sale be consider on Dan or Godaddy ?
Reason I am asking because when I refer report completed domain sale here on NP, majority sale I could see on Dan and Afternic, also sedo, but when I refer daily sale on Namebio then majority sale at godaddy, sedo and others and never seen Dan or afternic.
Am I missing something? Happy to learn.
Thanks.
As Dan and Afternic does not share their sales report with Namebio, you do not see Dan and Afternic daily sales.

What you see as sold at GoDaddy, these are mostly reseller price at GoDaddy expired auction.

•••
I have some questions, hope I'll get the answers from experienced people here
I try to reg two domain names on sedo and then sedo redirected me to the site Network Solutions.com, so i reg those name over there at the price of $5 each. Now I thought that, that website is the channel partners of Sedo for registration process only, and my domain name will appear on my Sedo account after registration. but I think I did some mistake, as my names are only on Network Solutions website. Is is good place to put domain on sale or if I want to put that name on auction on Sedo, so how can I do so. and i read somewhere that I have to wait 60 days after regs. guide me on this issue
thanks

•••
I have some questions, hope I'll get the answers from experienced people here
I try to reg two domain names on sedo and then sedo redirected me to the site Network Solutions.com, so i reg those name over there at the price of $5 each. Now I thought that, that website is the channel partners of Sedo for registration process only, and my domain name will appear on my Sedo account after registration. but I think I did some mistake, as my names are only on Network Solutions website. Is is good place to put domain on sale or if I want to put that name on auction on Sedo, so how can I do so. and i read somewhere that I have to wait 60 days after regs. guide me on this issue
thanks
I think you will have much better chance to get an answer if you post your question in the Beginners section, and not hijack some totally unrelated thread.

•••
thank you @JudgeMind for your advice I wish I'd have seen it earlier before I register my domains at Namecheap which doesn't support DLS. now I guess I have to pay extra money for transfer..

•••
Good advice as it is about most exposure and when you look who sold what you will realise power of marketplaces I am always for the type in but getting it out there is another thing. I have voiced my reasoning for choice and happlily pay more for these benefits.

•••
Hey guys and gals,

I am not active much on NP anymore but from time to time I like to share a tidbit of advice to new domainers.

1. List your domain names everywhere

• afternic
  • sedo
  • epik
  • unimarket
  • list for sale through your registrar if they have a marketplace etc.
The more places you have your names listed the more eyes will be on your names.

2. Transfer your domains to a registrar that supports DLS..

Good example of this and my fav is Afternic DLS. If I buy or win a domain at say dropcatch.com, the domain is then transferred to namebright.com.

Transfer your name from namebright to godaddy, namesilo, dynadot etc. These registrars support the sedo and Afternic "DLS"(Domain Listing Service).

Your domain names become visible at all of the afternic and sedo partner sites. Afternic has over 700 partner sites, so if someone searches your name, it comes up in search results with a BIN price instead of saying the name is unavailable.

Hope someone takes something from this.

Cheers

Thank you for this post. I've been searching for an answer to this. Can you explain why you transfer from dropcatch to namebright and then to godaddy (etc) ? .

What is the timing on this?

I'm missing something? I currently purchase my domains an Namecheap.

Thanks

•••
Thank you for this post. I've been searching for an answer to this. Can you explain why you transfer from dropcatch to namebright and then to godaddy (etc) ? .

What is the timing on this?

I'm missing something? I currently purchase my domains an Namecheap.

Thanks

simply put I move names to Namesilo so I can have them listed in the afternic and sedo domain listing services. Perhaps you misread what I said.

•••
thank you @JudgeMind for your advice I wish I'd have seen it earlier before I register my domains at Namecheap which doesn't support DLS. now I guess I have to pay extra money for transfer..

transfer them before they expire, will add 1 year of registration and cheaper in some cases than renewing.

•••
quite educative, thanks guys

•••
simply put I move names to Namesilo so I can have them listed in the afternic and sedo domain listing services. Perhaps you misread what I said.

Thank you for the clarification. I did misunderstand what you were saying. So much to learn and so grateful for you're taking the time to respond.

•••
Back