Dynadot

new gtlds A $185,000 Bet on .XYZ

Spaceship Spaceship
Watch

jdab

Jamie DąbrowieckiTop Member
Impact
Interesting read on .xyz from NBC.

Young entrepreneur Daniel Negari spent $185,000 in hopes of making the new .xyz domain a household name. Negari said he made his investment back in the first month of business and his new domain is attracting many people around the world wanting to create a new website or new brand.

“I applied for .xyz,” he said. “I figured you end the alphabet with xyz, so you should end a domain name the same way.”

Negari applied for and bought the .xyz top-level domain name from ICANN and now sells off his individual addresses at $8 a piece to registrars such as GoDaddy, which then sell them to consumers. Business is good, and he has sold off about 800,000 domain names since last June, he told Press:Here.

Scott McGrew said that he hasn’t seen the .xyz domain much, but Negari said that it can take several months before users actually put up a site.

“We have sold 30 percent in the Americas, 35 percent in Asia, and the rest all over the world,” he said.

Most are small businesses and first-time domain holders, he said.

Click here for video and source.

•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
very loose definition of the word "sold".

•••
•••
Stuffed might be a better term than sold. Negari is as slimy as they get.

•••
Business must be good if they have to give them away.

•••
Who's going to do the follow up interview with him next year when the numbers plummet from non-renewals?

•••
•••
I thought it was supposed to reach 1,000,000 registrations by the end of the year...

About 200,000 freebies to lay claim to that.

I have seen a mom-and-pop shop using .xyz in Washington though. That's 1/800000.

•••
Really very nice TLD and also lucky coz Google buy domain with this TLD :P

•••
Personally I'm a dot com fan, but I looked into the process of registering a TLD with ICANN awhile back. If I had $185K to spare and a registry platform, its possible I would have given serious thought to investing in being a TLD registry.

Why? There is and will be a lot of money to be made being a registry of a decent TLD.

Clearly this guy had the guts to follow through on his instinct and he will do well going forward.

Well done to him.

•••
•••
  • The sidebar remains visible by scrolling at a speed relative to the page’s height.
Back