IT.COM

domains WTF is .xyz?

Spaceship Spaceship
Watch

Lox

____Top Member
Impact
If you’ve visited a crypto company’s website recently, you’ve probably visited a URL ending in “.xyz” instead of its cheugier counterpart, .com. From fintech Block, formerly known as Square, to venture firm Paradigm, to blockchain startups like Mirror, .xyz has become the go-to URL ending for many web3 companies. But what does it mean, and why has it caught on in the web3 space?

.xyz, released to the public in 2014, first surged in popularity one year later when Google parent Alphabet decided to use it for their rebranded website. The internet behemoth had run into an increasingly widespread problem — the .com URLs for their brand were already taken, with BMW’s fleet management division using alphabet.com and American Broadcasting Corporation at abc.com.

So Alphabet decided to open up shop at abc.xyz, which presented an “unlimited branding opportunity” for its “futuristic company,” Daniel Negari, .xyz’s 30-year-old founder and CEO, told TechCrunch in an email. Now, .xyz may be one of the top five top-level domains (TLDs) in the world by traffic, according to the company’s own DNS data.

Read more (techcrunch)

Last edited:
•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
•••
•••
i have less than 150 xyz names, none* of them are single words, already sold 3 of them in the last 1 month. And currently .xyz names have better traffic rate than other extensions that i'm holding.

Last edited:
•••
Sorry, I'll just stick to .com. I got sucked into the .mobi hype and look how that turned out. That's not to say that some people won't have success, good for them. The average person doesn't know .xyz, .io or .whatever and probably never will. That should tell you everything you need to know IMO.

•••
Sorry, I'll just stick to .com. I got sucked into the .mobi hype and look how that turned out. That's not to say that some people won't have success, good for them. The average person doesn't know .xyz, .io or .whatever and probably never will. That should tell you everything you need to know IMO.
The .mobi hype was driven by domainers, while the current trend of .xyz is driven by end users. Very different.

•••
Hype or no hype?
- Get in and out on time and don't be greedy
- Don't fall in love with your name
- If you make profit - sold and don't look back

I own 50 LLL.com and over 200 LLL.net and LLL.orf 10-15 years ago. If I hold until now I am a millionaire but I don't look back.
Look at what you can do now and forward...

•••
I own 50 LLL.com and over 200 LLL.net and LLL.orf 10-15 years ago. If I hold until now I am a millionaire but I don't look back.
Look at what you can do now and forward...
Oh I feel you. I remember buying and selling 3 Letter .COMS in the early 2000's at todays 4 Letter prices.

There's always new money to be made in new extensions. While the majority fail, there are some that take off, even for just a bit.

•••
If .xyz sells for so much, .tv's should sell for millions.
no
.tv sounds related to TV or entertaintment.
.xyz sound like Abc- everything.
I would prefer xyz

•••
with all respect to sellers and buyers i think a large percentage of domain buyers(or at least name bidders) are developers. and for me as a developer thats like joke:
maps.xyz($1660), domaining.xyz($185), webcam.xyz($390), payment.xyz($2400) ....many more like this...

and on the other hand daily $xxxxx sells:unsure:

•••
•••
No need to apologize. There is a handful here on NPs that are permanently scarred by the Great Mobi Misconstruction and holding on to that dead example as if it's the Holy Grail of All-Encompassing Reasons Not to Leave Your Parents Extension. The world has not moved on from that, so no need to worry either. :/

•••
No need to apologize. There is a handful here on NPs that are permanently scarred by the Great Mobi Misconstruction and holding on to that dead example as if it's the Holy Grail of All-Encompassing Reasons Not to Leave Your Parents Extension. The world has not moved on from that, so no need to worry either. :/
In many ways, the extension really doesn't matter once you go away from .com, .org, .edu, .gov (maybe there are a few more). Yesterday it was .mobi and today it's .xyz. Each extension tries to convince you there's a reason why it exists and you should buy it.

The odds that any of these extensions take on wide spread adoption is slim to none. Like everything, some will make money and others will not. Good for anyone that can be successful, whether they invest in .com or any other extension.

•••
XYZ on fire this year
also i think 2022 wll be much better!!!
xyz is here to stay !!!

•••
In many ways, the extension really doesn't matter once you go away from .com, .org, .edu, .gov (maybe there are a few more). Yesterday it was .mobi and today it's .xyz. Each extension tries to convince you there's a reason why it exists and you should buy it.

The odds that any of these extensions take on wide spread adoption is slim to none.
That's are some interesting takes, but the rationale is way off base.

I haven't seen you around the forum much, so welcome your activity, and I encourage you to look beyond what you think you know and tear down those walls preventing an embracement of some damn good new stuff that's come about the last few years!

Good luck to you.

•••
I haven't seen you around the forum much, so welcome your activity, and I encourage you to look beyond what you think you know and tear down those walls preventing an embracement of some damn good new stuff that's come about the last few years!

They've been here since 2007. You've been here since 2016.

Ever noticed how people who spend so much time here racking up thousands of posts have sigs?

•••
•••
.xyz is a top level domain which is, like the TLD .com and like all other TLDs, technically (hierarchically) top - but, unlike the TLD .top, not also literally (semantically) top.

•••
i first though xyz is about 3d axes then when i googled it, well according to Wikipedia & gen.xyz
x refers to Generation X (people born from 1965 to 1980)
y refers to Millennials (1981 to 1996)
z refers to Generation Z (1997 to 2012)

and according to TechCrunch Negari defined .xyz as “the first truly generic domain extension with no inherent meaning,”

2010-2020 is called Generation Alpha btw

•••

The odds that any of these extensions take on wide spread adoption is slim to none. Like everything, some will make money and others will not. Good for anyone that can be successful, whether they invest in .com or any other extension.

I’m amazed at how you legitimately are comparing .mobi to .xyz

Maybe those 10 years you’ve spent here have piled up a lot of dust in your home and you unfortunately cannot see through the windows anymore

I’m curious if you know what flowers.mobi sold for to Rick Schwartz at Moniker in 2006 - ($200,000) and as a legitimate investor, what do you think of what he spent ^ and what he sold it for ($6,500) when he didn’t need to sell the name / he had plenty of money, so why sell and take a 96% loss ?

The next year, 2007 - Jim McCann the CEO and Founder of Flowers.com was the keynote speaker at TRAFFIC in Las Vegas ^ “cough” why ?

Rick sold flowers.mobi to Anunt Patel for $6,500 and then Anunt “supposedly” sold the name in 2011-2012 for $5,000 to you guessed it

1800 flowers

Does none of that sound fishy ? and tell me how detrimental it would be to a domain extension if a well known domain legend acquired a new .extension and sold it at a 96% loss in a short period of time ... I rest my case

Everyone would immediately sell their .whatever names and trash talk it and voila - the new .extension would grow less and less popular till its eventual “no value zone” ...

Did this happen w/ .xyz ? no ...

~

Now tell me who owns

abc.xyz

block.xyz

facebook.xyz

apple.xyz

amazon.xyz

microsoft.xyz

eth.xyz

Do you think it’s safe to say they know something about the web3 that you don’t / otherwise why buy these names ... even if some of them forward to the .com extension

Last edited:
•••
Maybe those 10 years you’ve spent here have piled up a lot of dust in your home and you unfortunately cannot see through the windows anymore
Actually quite the opposite, I see more clearly because of those years. Maybe that's why I'm still on this forum.

I’m curious if you know what flowers.mobi sold for to Rick Schwartz at Moniker in 2006 - ($200,000) and as a legitimate investor, what do you think of what he spent ^ and what he sold it for ($6,500) when he didn’t need to sell the name / he had plenty of money, so why sell and take a 96% loss ?
Who knows why for sure unless you know Rick which I don't. As with all investments, maybe it was time to take the loss and move on. Then again, maybe it wasn't the loss you think it was. He probably used the loss as a tax write-off.

As for the rest of the comments, sorry but I don't really follow the web3 or crypto stuff, not really my thing.

•••
I bet on my portfolio against portfolio of Swetha that i will not sell a single .xyz with $9888 in one year
Its only person who sell at high prices .xyz ( only exception is Nomad .xyz ) but the rest are in range 0-1000$ ..sorry but this is not a sale , to sell a .xyz with 200$ ( as example ) ..this is not a strong indication that .xyz will have a future ..i think will be like .biz ..but maybe i am wrong
I will let know NP members when i will sell a xyz 🤫

Last edited:
•••
Actually quite the opposite, I see more clearly because of those years. Maybe that's why I'm still on this forum.

Who knows why for sure unless you know Rick which I don't. As with all investments, maybe it was time to take the loss and move on. Then again, maybe it wasn't the loss you think it was. He probably used the loss as a tax write-off.

As for the rest of the comments, sorry but I don't really follow the web3 or crypto stuff, not really my thing.

Well you might wanna look into Web3 and what it is and while you’re doing that, look at crypto currency valuations “start and finish” - and you might wanna start being aware of what’s going on around you, so that you can actually catch onto the next big thing, wether it is .xyz domains or the next big crypto

Bitcoin was worth $.01 in 2010 ... 12 years later and it’s worth what ? $37,500 a coin

Polygon (MATIC) was worth $.023 one year ago and now it’s $1.60 ... that’s a 63,000% ROI within a year ...

ETH who signed a deal with .xyz / now have garnered .xyz “THEE ONLY ACCREDITED BY ICANN DNS” extension the ability to use the extension as a crypto currency wallet address ... instead of typing out a long string of #’s ... that’s quite frankly amazing ^ as the web3 advances the value for premium .xyz names will go up ^ there’s no if’s or and’s about it

•••
•••
  • The sidebar remains visible by scrolling at a speed relative to the page’s height.
Back