Dynadot

new gtlds .88 cent domains : How many are you buying?

Spaceship Spaceship
Watch

offthehandle

.Top Member
Impact
just like most of you, I got the email from .whatever registry today about the big .xyz sale. It suggests registering phone numbers, number sequences, IOT appliances, anything really anything. Billions of combinations. Lol.

Last edited:
•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
upload_2017-5-31_22-36-21.png

•••
This really cheapens the tld, and like bargain bin stuff instilling the same sort of customer mentality of disposable email addresses. Disposable .xyz domains. I read the website, I love promotions dont get me wrong, no matter how goofy- look at the Geico commercials, great stuff. Strange promos and marketing if done right is great. But for the ad to state "it's the new dot com", is hilarious.

Last edited:
•••
if unregistry believed in them they would buy them with all the money they have. the fact that a domainer is dumping them on other domainers is quite telling.

the domain industry is becoming a joke.. look how far we have come from 2010.

domainers chasing the next once in a lifetime opportunity after another offered to them by salespeople.

do they really believe these domains are an innovation? they have not innovated anything. .tk with free domains could be called innovative.

about 95% of what is reported or discussed today is just noise about lottery tickets.

Last edited:
•••
.COM = AM Radio
.XYZ = Bitcoin

Frank Schilling is the new king, of shitty domain analogies.

Brad

Last edited:
•••
They need a rebrand to like Whateveregistry.com to Whateveregistry.xyz

Last edited:
•••
•••
I just g'd it. There is a boardgame called SnakeOil!

"In the Old West, the wily snake oil salesman had a special talent, getting the most skeptical customers to buy the most dubious products. Now it's your turn! Invent your own zany two-word products – Rumor Mirror! Burp Balloon! – and sell them to all types of wacky customers. If the round's customer buys your product, you win!"

•••
As of today, total number of registered domains is about 330 M, after so many years.

To think that this 1 B domains will all be registered is outlandish, even at $1 / year a pop.

If there are still outstanding domains of this "class" out there, there is no scarcity, even artificial.

So they will never be worth more than $1 each (they will not appreciate in value)

JMO.

•••
As of today, total number of registered domains is about 330 M, after so many years.

To think that this 1 B domains will all be registered is outlandish, even at $1 / year a pop.

If there are still outstanding domains of this "class" out there, there is no scarcity, even artificial.

So they will never be worth more than $1 each (they will not appreciate in value)

JMO.

right. they can only be worth more than regfee if there aren't any free domains left.

•••
•••
•••
I have 1 .XYZ domain and plan to keep it this way.

•••
•••
If they offered these promos on renewals, then people would be tempted to keep names instead of letting them drop.
Yeh, I was planning on renewing some of my xyz for a dolla. . . Ik @DNGear will think this deal is a lifesaver :tightlyclosedeyes:

But no I don't agree that reggae 9N.xyz in 2017=buying btc in 2010, as frank proudly states. . .

•••
I don't want to dump all over this promo, but it concerns me. The agenda is to sell a whole bunch of numbers to speculators. Is this because the underlying premise is that they might have some small value above reg fee, since now 5 months have passed without an expected landrush from china? Or maybe there was on the 4 and 5N's? So now a fire sale to get rid if them? These are not NNNNNN.com, which of course even they have dubious values. Now I see the follow up email disclaimer from the subject promoter, which brings even more concern. As tradition at the beginning of most all professional auctions I've attended, the first words before... the first gavel strike were always "Caveat Emptor". Let the buyer beware. This should come first here as well.

•••
I think of end users want them, let them have them. But for domain investing purposes, over 1 billion possibilities, don't see how it makes sense.

•••
•••
None.

I'd rather buy a roll $1 scratch-off tickets instead of regging hundreds of one-dollar domains and hoping 1 or 2 of them pop before the year is up and I have thousands of dollars worth of renewals to pay.

Easier, quicker, funner.

Last edited:
•••
Last edited:
•••
XYZ started its life with controversy (the free XYZ domains matching the .com in one's NetSol account) and has been carrying the torch since. Non-news.

But one more thing: domainers are only a tiny part of its target market. They pitch XYZ domains all over the world, to non-domainers. It's as if we're locked inside the bathroom of a mansion, screaming out. :)

Last edited:
•••
Thanks for the insight, I didn't study or read all the history, but it appears really to be quite a mess. Like a huge oil spill, you can never restore it back to pristine quality, no matter what you do.

•••
Daniel Negari is really a fun guy in person, and so is Frank Schilling. And everyone is in this industry for the money, that's the bottom line. Some of these campaigns appear to be outrageous. Waiting to see the eventual drops from last year's penny promo for .XYZ domains. It will be brutal.

•••
•••
That drop isn't it in a few more days? June 5th 2016 was the spike according to ntldstats.

•••
Been watching him shaft domainers for at least a couple of years now, and each times he pulls a new stunt like this it's a further breach of trust against the domaining community from one of the once most respected figures within the industry. It's great that people are calling him out. Hopefully he'll take heed.

•••
  • The sidebar remains visible by scrolling at a speed relative to the page’s height.
Back