Domain Empire

45 days or 60 days? When transfer adds a year...

Spaceship Spaceship
Watch

aww

Established Member
Impact
I've seen conflicting advice on different registrars. Is it the 45 day mark or the 60 day mark that you get an extra year on your transfer? Is this up to the registrar or the registry?

I've never tried to cut it so close but I am dying to get some names out of GoDaddy and into eNom, thanks for any advice...

•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
usually it is 60 days but do check with the registrar

maybe the 45 days you are referring to is the grace period which in which a domain had expired?

•••
Not sure if I understand the question. When you transfer a domain to another registrar, you always get another year added to the registration regardless of when you transfer it.

The restriction is you can't transfer domains within 60 days of registration.

•••
does this mean that you can cut it as fine as 2days before initiating a transfer request. Again, this is because I am also dying to get some names out of GoDaddy

•••
Straight from eNom's help center (I guess I had to answer my own question ;) )

Why wasn't an extra year added to my domain's registration period when I transferred it to eNom?

If a domain is transferred less than 45 days after it has expired and been reactivated, the extra year will not be added. This is a technical limitation put into place by the Registry.

This rule applies to all Registrars whether you are transferring to eNom, away from eNom, between any other two Registrars, or even between eNom accounts.

If you transfer to eNom, we cannot issue a refund for domains that transfer within the 45 day grace period. As the gaining registrar we are charged for that transfer.

It is suggested you wait until 45 days have passed, and then transfer your domain to ensure you receive the additional year.

•••
Originally posted by bensontwenty
does this mean that you can cut it as fine as 2days before initiating a transfer request. Again, this is because I am also dying to get some names out of GoDaddy

It depends on the registrar. I've successfully transferred a couple days before and unsuccessfully transferred as much as two months before when they ignore the transfer request (NSI, of course). Most times you will be successful with 30 days before the expiration date. Some have individual policies against transfers within 30 days, yet I've successfully made a couple transfers after the real expiration date (but don't count on it).

I once did a transfer just a couple days before the expiration. Just before the transfer was made, the old registrar charged an automatic renewal, that didn't get picked up by the new registrar. I had to threaten a charge-back to get a refund from the old registrar, because the new one wasn't going to credit the money and couldn't add the time without paying the registry.

I think the 60 day referred to is that you normally can't do a transfer within the first 60 days of an original registration.

•••
  • The sidebar remains visible by scrolling at a speed relative to the page’s height.
Back