IT.COM

discuss 3D Showcase, Discussion, and Confirmed Sales Sightings

Spaceship Spaceship
Watch
Impact
Just curios how the market is for these domains right now.

Last edited by a moderator:
•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
This is supposed to be about sales...if you don't have any sales to report
please don't post for the sake of posting ;)

This whole page has nothing to do with the title, get it back on track!

That was answered. What is being discussed :loosely: is

"Just curios how the market is for these domains right now."

I think we're seeing disagreements because the simple fact is.... no one with what they regard as a "decent" name is selling - they are waiting. So the market is HOLD.

We hear much of "offers" but not of sales.

At some point the scales will tip back down because 3d will be an assumed add on. PS3 and Microsoft area already releasing Kinect and Move. Games have been "3d" for years. Not to mention that 95% of 3d is driven in one market segment: TV. TV hardware is on the decline... so the argument is that you get 3d phones... or 3d Laptops...

Well there is Movies.. but the novelty HAS worn off.

I don't search for Hi Def Phones - but that was a recent selling point. You search for Android/iPhone/Blackberry or brands. Same with HD TVs - you ASSUME they are HD now - soon TVs will be the same. When every TV is a 3D TV - then what? The technology is not a HUGE change - it's a simple add on.

The danger that many have is that they do a search for something like "Touch 3D" and see 1000's of answers... but miss the point that the results are:

No Touch 3d screens, or HTC Touch 3D... or Multi Touch 3d Screen...

The 3d qualifies secondary object. Even so the market seems to have offered GilesColey more than I would ever deem it worth. Congrats to him :)

So the market is... probably not at it's zenith for good or misunderstood names...and will quickly fall off because 3d will not remain a worthy differentiator. GilesColey seems to have the best set of names I've seen. I would expect him to have the best idea of the market.

I think overhyped. Frankly. I'm already looking to sell my 4d names.

•••
Two years ago there was no 3D sales thread because there was no market to speak of.

3D domain sales this year are perhaps 3,000% higher than 2 years ago. That's a market! And a growth rate few other name categories can match.

Saying most 3D names reg'd during the buy-boom will not sell is fine. Your right, but no one is saying most will sell.

Throughout history every 'boom market' has had its "naysayers". Like in the Gold Rush days of the old American West. True, most who hitched their wagon to the dream of striking it rich never did find gold.

And, looking at it through the narrow naysayer lens, the Gold Rush was a failure because most domains did not pay-off.

However, looking at it through a wider lens its clear the Gold Rush was a great success because it established a market eco-system where there was none. It "settled the west".

Miners / Domainers who did not find gold took what they learned and applied it to other (speculative) fields like oil, timber, ranching, merchandise, scouting etc..

Likewise, the exposure and experienced gained by some 3D domainers will likely lead to business in other areas of graphics, websites, marketing etc..

In addition, the narrow naysayer lens is blind to the value of legacy. From the California Gold Rush we get everything from blue jeans, and 'Westerns', to the added value of land that was once a miners / domainer's 'grub stake'.

The recent resurgence of 3D has seen the (legacy) value of old 3D movies increase and has made the millions of 3d photos taken between 1840 and 1910 highly collectible.

Who's to say that 3D domains reg'd in the post Avatar 'Gold Rush' won't have more value than ones reg'd a year later?

Yes, just as the first settlers out west got the best ocean front property, most of the best 3D names were reg'd years ago. Nobody is arguing that.

But even late arrivals, who bought inland -even ghetto, properties, own a piece of the dream. They may not ever sell it for a nice profit. But its not always only about money, its also about community. About identity. Engagement. About "getting a shot".

Yes, we are in this biz to make money. But I think we all have names that we renew each year because that's who we are.

You don't have to open your naysayer lens too wide to see that.

•••
That was answered. What is being discussed :loosely: is

"Just curios how the market is for these domains right now."

I think we're seeing disagreements because the simple fact is.... no one with what they regard as a "decent" name is selling - they are waiting. So the market is HOLD.

We hear much of "offers" but not of sales.

At some point the scales will tip back down because 3d will be an assumed add on. PS3 and Microsoft area already releasing Kinect and Move. Games have been "3d" for years. Not to mention that 95% of 3d is driven in one market segment: TV. TV hardware is on the decline... so the argument is that you get 3d phones... or 3d Laptops...

Well there is Movies.. but the novelty HAS worn off.

I don't search for Hi Def Phones - but that was a recent selling point. You search for Android/iPhone/Blackberry or brands. Same with HD TVs - you ASSUME they are HD now - soon TVs will be the same. When every TV is a 3D TV - then what? The technology is not a HUGE change - it's a simple add on.

The danger that many have is that they do a search for something like "Touch 3D" and see 1000's of answers... but miss the point that the results are:

No Touch 3d screens, or HTC Touch 3D... or Multi Touch 3d Screen...

The 3d qualifies secondary object. Even so the market seems to have offered GilesColey more than I would ever deem it worth. Congrats to him

So the market is... probably not at it's zenith for good or misunderstood names...and will quickly fall off because 3d will not remain a worthy differentiator. GilesColey seems to have the best set of names I've seen. I would expect him to have the best idea of the market.

Deafaultuser..You bring up some good points..

The 3d qualifies secondary object. Even so the market seems to have offered GilesColey more than I would ever deem it worth. Congrats to him

Can you clarify what this bit means for me? Not quite sure..thanks

Appreciate the comments on my names, I have been buying these names for a while and I believe I got in a little earlier than some on this thread and I believe that's why I managed to get some decent names. I bought some from the existing owners before 3D names became a subject of discussion on these threads so the owners weren't really aware that they could have potential further down the track. I never spent more that $200 on a name. 3DRecorder.com and 3DRecorders.com were hand-regged as I just thought they would be released in a few years time and I guess I got lucky.

I really think all the naysayers need to have their say, providing they make sense and present a decent argument. What annoys me is if the same argument is put forward every post. Lets rather keep this thread on topic or will just be closed down again.

Members like defaultuser, Snoop, DubDubDubDot and sdsinc all make valid points and I think a lot of people here need to appreciate the views and listen to their advice as they have been in the industry a lot longer than a lot of other members in this thread (me included) and we can all learn something from their comments, even if it means people are just a bit more cautious about what names they run out and register, especially the newer members who are learning. If all they saw was how great 3D names were, they would run out and register 3DHikingBackpacks.info and waste their money, so getting a nice balanced view is important.

Important: Dont sell your 3D names too early!!!

Good luck all

Last edited:
•••
Members like defaultuser, Snoop, DubDubDubDot and sdsinc all make valid points and I think a lot of people here need to appreciate the views and listen to their advice as they have been in the industry a lot longer than a lot of other members in this thread (me included) and we can all learn something from their comments, even if it means people are just bit more cautious about what names they run out and register, especially the newer members who are learning. If all they saw was how great 3D names were, they would run out and register 3DHikingBackpacks.info and waste their money, so getting a nice balanced view is important.

Well said Sir :tu:

•••

If 3d capability can be added for close to $0 it will be added, I think the issue that that people may not really care about the technology long term. The fatigue seems to be already starting. Do people really want to wear glasses and have 3d images jumping out at them? Maybe for the occasional novelty movie but I think that is about it.

GilesColey seems to have the best set of names I've seen. I would expect him to have the best idea of the market.

Agree, only portfolio I've seen where the owner seems to have names that might actually be in demand.

---------- Post added at 07:04 PM ---------- Previous post was at 06:57 PM ----------

Two years ago there was no 3D sales thread because there was no market to speak of.

3D domain sales this year are perhaps 3,000% higher than 2 years ago. That's a market! And a growth rate few other name categories can match.

Well you said there was no market two years ago so claiming 3000% growth is hardly impressive. Have noticed very few sales myself. Real number need to be talked about.

Throughout history every 'boom market' has had its "naysayers". Like in the Gold Rush days of the old American West. True, most who hitched their wagon to the dream of striking it rich never did find gold.

And, looking at it through the narrow naysayer lens, the Gold Rush was a failure because most domains did not pay-off.

However, looking at it through a wider lens its clear the Gold Rush was a great success because it established a market eco-system where there was none. It "settled the west".

Miners / Domainers who did not find gold took what they learned and applied it to other (speculative) fields like oil, timber, ranching, merchandise, scouting etc..

Likewise, the exposure and experienced gained by some 3D domainers will likely lead to business in other areas of graphics, websites, marketing etc..

In addition, the narrow naysayer lens is blind to the value of legacy. From the California Gold Rush we get everything from blue jeans, and 'Westerns', to the added value of land that was once a miners / domainer's 'grub stake'.

The recent resurgence of 3D has seen the (legacy) value of old 3D movies increase and has made the millions of 3d photos taken between 1840 and 1910 highly collectible.

Who's to say that 3D domains reg'd in the post Avatar 'Gold Rush' won't have more value than ones reg'd a year later?

Yes, just as the first settlers out west got the best ocean front property, most of the best 3D names were reg'd years ago. Nobody is arguing that.

But even late arrivals, who bought inland -even ghetto, properties, own a piece of the dream. They may not ever sell it for a nice profit. But its not always only about money, its also about community. About identity. Engagement. About "getting a shot".

Yes, we are in this biz to make money. But I think we all have names that we renew each year because that's who we are.

You don't have to open your naysayer lens too wide to see that.

Please...lets end the useless analogies. It isn't a compelling argument to say 3d could be like the gold rush or could like the first settlers, it could well be just like the Titantic, so lets debate on facts not crazy comparisons.

•••
i thought only the idn's brought the crazies

seems some serial offenders here as well , i think i'll bail out at this point ........can only piss into the wind for so long

•••
Seems that the sell time is debated as much as the sales. I think we will have a much clearer view in 6 months time, once the drops are taken out of the equation and the market becomes more mainstream.

•••
I have received a good amount of offers on my 3D domain names. Some are pretty decent ones too but as Giles said, Iam not ready to sell some yet.
I did sell about 7 as of now and 4 were private sales that are not on that list from Domain Tools. Most of my leads have been coming from who is searches and my parked pages.
Regardless of what people say interest is growing in 3d domains. My parked page views are more than double from about 4 months ago.
The 3d growth is still speculative but all in all I like the direction it has been taking.

•••
Regardless of what people say interest is growing in 3d domains. My parked page views are more than double from about 4 months ago.
Depends how much we are talking ? 18 UV/month against 9 the previous month ?

•••
talk about 'Get a Life'!

.. so...umm...
.. yeah - DestinysWeb.com is mine - what exactly is the problem with this?

(For those that don't know, that's a site that talks about 'Future Domains'... 3d Domain Names being one of the topics covered, as well Holographic Domain Names, Solar, Telepresence, AR., Robot Domains, Cloud Domains.. etc..)

all the content and articles are handwritten by me.. all the graphics you see?..created by me.. nothing was stolen or hijacked (or even hotlinked for that matter)... it's all original (regardless if it appeals to anyone or not) - all mine ... so where is my crime?

because i 'tweeted' about it on my 3d domain names twitter acct?? .. seriously?? ... haha .. imagine that - someone tweeting about another website of theirs on twitter (the GALL!)... would you feel better if i added a 'DBA' on top of all my future websites so that you know where they came from?

(and for all your issues with me - WHY in the world would you possibly be subscribing to or even viewing any of my tweets? You make me feel like Howard Stern - the more people that hated him listened to him more than those who actually liked him)

There are a handful of people on this thread alone that know of DestinysWeb - no grief from any of them.. matter of fact - nothing but good things from those people - so what gives? Because i chose 'privacy' when i regged the name?... seriously?... that makes me 'pathetic'? Maybe you need to revisit that definition because running around the internet checking out people's who.is info for no apparent reason and crying on the boards about your finding's is right in line with the actual meaning.

Also.. if you notice.. there's not ONE name for sale on destinysweb ... not a ONE... there's not even a LIST of domains on that site - how can this have possibly upset you this much? because of a tweet?... are you kidding me guy? I mean, c'mon!

I guess maybe now would be a good time to tell you that i actually have a couple of other sites out there with my domain names listed on them..(OOooh!)
iWebDomainNames.com being one of them
i also have another site i am planning on building out named 'FuturisticDomaining.com' that i would love to have up some time in the next year too... i mean.. if this is all OK with you, of course.

For whatever strange reason, you have taken a keen interest in me, my ventures and my business... you were one of the ones who ripped my youtube video a few months back and now you're ripping a pretty good, informative website regarding domain names and HOW or WHY they would be valuable.

Whether or not you agree with 3d Domain Names or Future Trend Domain Names... I am at least part of my own movement in TRYING to make OTHER people (NOT just domainers) AWARE of DOMAIN NAMES!... you may not like what i am offering, and seriously, that's just fine - hate away all you want - but you can't say i'm not at least TRYING to get the message out there... somehow.. someway... what do you do dubdub?, other than B1TCH, rag and complain about every - EVERY - EVERYthing??

Either way .. i am not trying to hijack this thread.... i just wanted to clear the confusion and be allowed to defend myself from this completely unprovoked flaming. (i mean, c'mon .. this is my FIRST post in this thread for crying out loud - how do you just go out of your way and start ripping me??!)

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

(exhale) :)

As for 3d domain name sales.... :)

I've done ok, to be honest.

I sold a name to the VP of a major, MAJOR company, with a pretty MAJOR product (out now) who sought me out. I am not allowed to "say" who it was.. but if you use a little bit of logic, i will let you all figure it out for yourselves... here's how:
follow my sig link and figure out which one of the crossed out names it was.
Eight Letter Domain... was bought just to put a redirect to the parent.

This was a mini site i made that wound up with page one ranking for the exact term across all the three major engines. (even when including this company's name - i ranked ONLY behind them)

As for as money - i didn't get a lot, no... I was afraid i was 'bordering' on TM rights (even though there is no legal tm on the name), so i tread lightly and got mid $xxx... the name has absoultely no other value to me or anyone else for that matter, OTHER THAN to this company, so i was happy with what i got.

as for the others...
• I have turned down a lot of good/decent/crappy offers in the past couple of months. but yes, interest and offers are definitely rising.

• Page views are up incredibly the past month or so... however.. it seems that there is a google dance happening right now, so i don't know how much of that is attributed to the mass crawling at the moment.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

I still think there is a very valuable sector in the untangible end of this technology... like the obvious - websites.

I think my names, while not as blatant and obvious, and statistically driven by product sales as Giles' great names, have lots of potential and have always been geared towards a 3-d Web and 3d WEBSITE... names like 3dInteraction, 3dDatingOnline, 3dTestDrive, 3dEducation, Streaming3d,...3dRealEstate..etc.. much more conceptual in nature and development dependant.. but some that i think have some big potential.

Point i'm trying to make is not 'look at me and MY names'.. but more the point that the names that i have targeted need/require a much more seasoned 3-d Web to be considered valuable - i'll either be very smart or very stupid for making this decision, but it is what it is now.

3d Computers and laptops and mobile phones and tablets and tv's and camera's..etc.. may not be on everyone's desk at the moment, but they WILL be on EVERYONE'S desk soon enough. most of my names will probably have to wait a bit longer than any of the people who bought 3d product names, but i still think i'll get there. I'm actuallt very excited about the direction of 3d right now (not to mention holographics).

Last edited:
•••
all above seems fair enough to me , boy oh boy i wish i had regged 3dcameras/com , how many of these babies will they sell once mainstream ????

•••
their was breaking news from scientists at the University Of Arizona yesterday regarding development breakthroughs in holographic technology, which allows moving TRUE holographic images to be transmitted & projected with a refresh-rate of 2 seconds. viewable without the need of silly glasses - which have to be worn to view current sterioscopic 3D systems .
though the scientists wne onto say it may be 10 years before the technology is mainstream in our homes.

•••
Guys, this thread is about Noticeable Sales of 3D domains, please stop getting it confused
with all this other stuff. Most of this page shouldn't be here either.

This is my second time posting about this, instead of just deleting it - because you
guys always complain when I do that...so benefit of the doubt here...
you know where this thread is headed and why.

•••
Here is a list of "REPORTED" 3d domain name sales from March 2010 - October 2010

3dtouch.com - $500.00
3d-geeks.com - $49.00
3dmovie.com - €2,499.00
3d-animation.com - €1,888.00
3design.com - $2,800.00
ecran3d.com - €1,000.00
buy3dlaptop.com - $1,000.00
3dweb.com - $8,100.00
3ddvds.com - $2,200.00
3d-templates.com - $2,789.00
3ddigitalart.com - $500.00
history3d.com - $1,000.00
3ddesign.net - $1,400.00
3deep.com - $5,461.00
mp3downloads.mobi - $950.00
3dwebcam.com - $2,500.00
3dating.com - $1,000.00
3d-web.net - $3,000.00
3d-video.com - $2,488.00
3dweb.net - €3,000.00
3dblog.com - £500.00
3dme.com - $1,000.00
3dtvs.info - $1,500.00
s3d.org - $500.00
buy3dpc.com - $1,000.00
freemp3downloads.co.uk - £625.00
3dhomecinema.com - €1,080.00
3dfusion.com - €2,000.00
3dhometheaters.com - €888.00
3derotica.com - $1,500.00
123daily.com -$700.00
3d-x.com - $1,600.00
glasses3d.com - $150.00
3dfearfactory.com -$104.00
3dvlogs.com - $125.00
3dxxx.info $70.00
channels3d.com - $265.00
3dmonitors.net - -$79.00
3dgamesvideo.com - $100.00
3dplayer.net -$85.00
3dconsole.co.uk - $75.00
3dfilmworld.com - $1,000.00
3dsmartphone.com - $900.00
cheap3dglasses.com - $1,000.00
3dmarkers.com - $100.00
cheap3dlaptops.com - £50.00
3dlcdtv.com - $375.00
3digitpicks.com - $19.00
3d-televisies.be - €250.00
3dphones.org - $250.00
3dactive.com - $84.00
3d-player.com - $310.00
plan3d.net - $6.00
3d-map.net - €170.00
3dblurayplayers.co.uk - £250.00
3dnotebooks.net - £130.00
3dcellphones.org - £60.00
buy3d-tv.com - $800.00
3dimmobilien.com - $70.00
3dcellphones.net - $170.00
true3d.com - $360.00
3dpornvideo.com - €1,000.00
3dfit.co.uk - €300.00
playcasino3d.com - $5.00
3dmovies.mobi - $500.00
3dcamroulette.com - $70.00
3dconverter.net - $60.00
3dfashion.com - $500.00
3dmoviereviews.com - $300.00
3d-cg.com - $19.00
3darticle.com - $1.00
3dhu.com - $5.00
3dbluraydvd.com - $5.00
3dplayers.co.uk - £270.00

**All reported sales reported by who.is domain tools:
http://www.domaintools.com/domain-sales-history/?q=3d

Please everybody, feel free to add to this list with sales that you know of

Here's one that i know of (because i LOST it at Snap Names Auctions):
3DPC.net - $375

and i also know that
3dDating,.com sold for $2,500 (?)
and
Travel3d.com sold for $4,000 (?)

(those sales figures might be backwards.. someone correct me on these sales if you can so i can fix this )

- - - - - - -

I just listed *SEVENTY SIX (76) 3d Domain Name Sales from only March - October 2010
That's EIGHT MONTHS of "reported" data
That's roughly TEN 3d Domain Names Sales a month on average
(again - ONLY being Reported)

a little deeper..
Unless i am counting wrong i see THIRTY EIGHT names sold at $500 or more and
TWENTY FIVE of those names sold for over $1,000

those might not be the BIGGEST numbers of all time - but - a WHOLE lot of action for a market that BARELY exists yet

(*NOT counting the unreported sales or any other sales prior to March 2010)

Last edited:
•••
3dmovie.com - €2,499.00

This one is a fake sale, I know it didnt happen...

•••
What made 3D EEP.com and 3D ESIGN.com worth so much?

•••
What made 3D EEP.com and 3D ESIGN.com worth so much?

i'm wondering the same thing

guessing:

both sites are developed (doubt they were sold that way though)

3Design
is a PR 3
regged since 1999
listed in Dmoz
alexa - 1.6 mil
it doesn't have the repeating 'D's' (eg - 3 DD esign) (?)

and
3Deep?
PR 4
regged since 1998
no alexa - no dmoz
also avoids the repeating 'D's'

this should probably taken off that list - this does not appear to be a '3d' domain name .. i think it means more '3 Layers Deep'

?

•••
The sale of 3dwebcam.com was a nice sign that these will be huge! Maybe it went too cheaply.

Last edited:
•••
i'm wondering the same thing

guessing:

both sites are developed (doubt they were sold that way though)

3Design
is a PR 3
regged since 1999
listed in Dmoz
alexa - 1.6 mil
it doesn't have the repeating 'D's' (eg - 3 DD esign) (?)

and
3Deep?
PR 4
regged since 1998
no alexa - no dmoz
also avoids the repeating 'D's'

this should probably taken off that list - this does not appear to be a '3d' domain name .. i think it means more '3 Layers Deep'

?

i'm pretty sure defaultuser is pointing out that neither one has anything to do with "3d"

•••
the other day i saw a couple of nice 3d domains in the drop list.

3dtheatre.org
.com/.net/.us/.info registered
.org/.biz available

3danimals.com
.com/.net/.us/.info registered
.org/.biz available

3dkids.org
.com/.net/.us registered
.org/.biz/.info available

... I don't know if it's of any value at all as I don't think I can specialize in knowing 3d domain values so if anybody out there is interested, try checking it out :) or did i do right by letting em go?

as for the sales, it's pretty good news considering that 1) people who invested are making sales, and 2) we get more 3d entertainment irl because as the trend is showing, we are really getting into the 3d age!

i know 3dDomainNames already mentioned this before, but save yourselves time by not wasting your money on something like 3dmilk :D i really lol'd on that post

good luck guys :)

•••
Saw this one. 3D.ST $1400 @ Sedo.

•••
3dMovie.us is currently $38 on the BIDO block.

•••
3dMovie.us is currently $38 on the BIDO block

lol, I just let that expire? Good luck to the seller

•••
•••
•••
  • The sidebar remains visible by scrolling at a speed relative to the page’s height.
Back