IT.COM

330K .eu doms to be cancelled as UK pulls out of EU

Spaceship Spaceship
Watch
Impact
The European Commission has announced that UK residents will no longer be able to register .eu domain names or renew existing domain names after Brexit.

https://ec.europa.eu/info/publicati...nited-kingdom-and-eu-rules-eu-domain-names_en

Approximately 320K domain names will be cancelled. This is not as bad as it sounds as most of the UK registrations are probably owned by non-EU warehousers using UK front companies rather than by UK residents. In any case, it is a loss of approximately 10% of .eu domain names for the ccTLD.

Regards...jmcc

Last edited:
•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
1. Dropcatch party, woo hoo!
2. All these businesses will have to acquire other domains somehow. BUY MINE.

•••
1. Dropcatch party, woo hoo!
2. All these businesses will have to acquire other domains somehow. BUY MINE.
Not really, :) The .EU ccTLD is a third or fourth choice TLD for UK registrants. Most will already own a .UK or .COM domain name. The incompetence of the European Commission, its advisors and Eurid led to the .EU flatlining in the UK. Many of the .EU registrations that Eurid claimed where from the UK were from large scale non-EU speculators were owned by UK based front companies that were owned by non-EU residents.

This wasn't domaining. These players just hoovered up hundreds of thousands of English language keyword and business domain names and almost all of them lost domain names in subsequent ADR (the .EU version of UDRP) proceedings. Things were so bad that people were filling out registration details with valid US addresses complete with zipcodes and an EU country and Eurid was so incompetent that it didn't even bother deleting these iffy registrations. The scale of English language keywords and business names being warehoused and blatantly cybersquatted was so bad that it effectively killed the ccTLD in the UK.

The real powerhouse of .EU registrations is Germany. The problem is that the number of German registrations has been falling for the last few years. There is a kind of an East/West break in .EU support. In the post 2004 accession states, (the countries that joined the EU from 2004 onwards that are typically referred to as the Eastern EU countries) in the East are quite pro-.EU and it is more favoured than .COM. The countries that joined the EU prior to 2004 (the Western EU countries) tend to have far more registrations in their local ccTLDs and a lot of legacy .COM registrations. In terms of domaining, the .EU might have a few high profile sales from time to time but it is difficult to sell in comparison to .COM or even .UK or .DE domain names. The problem with selling .EU domain names in the EU is that it is a group of countries with approximately 27 languages so a good English language keyword domain may not fetch as much as the .COM equivalent. Selling to an EU country with a non-English national language puts one into competition with local domainers who have been in the business for years and it is necessary to know the market and the language for these kind of sales.

There may be a drop, but there will not be a party and there are ways around the EU regulations. Losing 10% or so registrations will be a big hit for the .EU ccTLD.

Regards...jmcc

•••
•••
More EU countries may also exit earlier or later, as many political analysts suggest... I myself asked some European friends - "who are you"? And what I heard was - "I am French", or "I am German". Nobody told me "I am European".

So EU bureaucrats might consider removing any and all restrictions from dot EU tld instead, to simplify the things, for now and future. Indeed, there is no Soviet Union on this Earth anymore - but country code .SU still exists and has live websites. All are happy...

European bureaucrats are however very busy regulating other things related to all daily life aspects. According to EU lawmakers, for example, cucumbers have to be "practically straight" and bent by a gradient of no more than 1/10.

So there is no evidence that they will make Dot EU free and open to all. Good for .uk/.co.uk which is where current UK-based .eu owners will likely migrate...

Last edited:
•••
So EU bureaucrats might consider removing any and all restrictions from dot EU tld instead, to simplify the things, for now and future..

- disagree
- can you register free .us or .ca domains ... !? No!
- .eu is for EU residents! Dot ;)

•••
Since the dome of internet, I've never seen .eu domain for UK business or private use, if fact most of the brits unaware of .eu existence

Last edited:
•••
European bureaucrats are however very busy regulating other things related to all daily life aspects. According to EU lawmakers, for example, cucumbers have to be "practically straight" and bent by a gradient of no more than 1/10.
And to show how important the .EU was to the European Union, the morons in the European Commission gave the .EU to their buddies in the Belgian ccTLD registry so that they could make an abject mess of things. So from a competitor to .COM, it went down the toilet and has been floating along on brand protection registrations ever since.

Regards...jmcc

•••
I once incorporated in the UK to register domain names in extensions that are restricted to EU/EAA entities. ie .it .fr. A few .eu in the bunch, but very very few.
True story.
Bye bye UK.

•••
I once incorporated in the UK to register domain names in extensions that are restricted to EU/EAA entities. ie .it .fr. A few .eu in the bunch, but very very few.
True story.
Bye bye UK.
Going to be a bit of a headache for the EC over Northern Ireland. :) Technically, people there are able to avail of Irish and UK passports.

Regards...jmcc

•••
The only time I've seen E.U in use is in the UK is in political commentaries or Haulage-companies.(very popular) I'm sure it's more prevalent on mainland-europe But you'd need to look outside the English language to find them

•••
More EU countries may also exit earlier or later, as many political analysts suggest... I myself asked some European friends - "who are you"? And what I heard was - "I am French", or "I am German". Nobody told me "I am European".
Just because the UK did a stupid move, doesn't mean that other countries are going to do the same.
If a country is part of the EU doesn't mean it looses its identity.
Regarding the "who are you" question, I'm not sure if translated incorrectly or if you really asked that question.
By who are you, you ask the person to identify him/herself with his/her name. I was never asked "who are you" with the intention of where am I from.Passing over this, considering the question "where are you from", you may get even from the USA citizens answer like "I'm from New York/California etc", Does that mean there will be an end for USA?

•••
This is not as bad as it sounds as most of the UK registrations are probably owned by non-EU warehousers using UK front companies rather than by UK residents.
If they want to keep the domains they just need to transfer the registrations to a front company in another EU country.

•••
If they want to keep the domains they just need to transfer the registrations to a front company in another EU country.
There are indications that some of these warehousers have moved countries already.

Regards...jmcc

•••
Obviously the featured article in 'The Register' has given rise to a number of internet discussions - and some pretty fiery ones here in the UK . I wonder if the EU registry has actually sent out notifications to the UK based registrants as yet. because that is likely to bring it into the mainstream news.

considering all the negotiations over the UK/EU relationship is still in negotiation . Teresa May (our PM) is definitely going to say "This is putting the cart in front of the Horse" once again by European bureaucrats

Last edited:
•••
Indeed, there is no Soviet Union on this Earth anymore - but country code .SU still exists and has live websites. All are happy...
It is managed by Russia as the successor state of the USSR and ~99% .SU usage - Russian registrants.
And I'm sure that they also pay "something" to ICANN to not delete it...
For example, former Yugoslavian .YU was deleted completely.

•••
I wouldn't call returning sovereignty to our shores 'a stupid move'. I'm looking forward to the day when we make our own laws again and control our own destiny. This quote in a report in The Register is a little reminder why the British public voted for brexit.

'Even more remarkably, EURid made it plain that it was not consulted over the plans or even informed what they were before the news was made public. A statement on the registry's site begins: "Yesterday afternoon, EURid, the registry manager of the .eu TLD, received the link to the European Commission’s communication concerning Brexit and the .eu TLD."

•••
Worthy to note that .eu was recently opened to EEA countries, which means that in addition to EU countries Iceland, Norway and Liechtenstein can register .eu. But the UK has indicated that it will be leaving the customs union and the common market. Had they opted for the Norway model, they could have remained in the .eu zone ;)
Not saying this is a big loss though.

•••
Almost all these British regs, except domainers, are just defensive... so negative impact is minimal for them or even 0.
Regarding domainers - the same... because .EU aftermarket is weak... just another fetish TLD like .asia

•••
Almost all these British regs, except domainers, are just defensive... so negative impact is minimal for them or even 0.
Regarding domainers - the same... because .EU aftermarket is weak... just another fetish TLD like .asia

yep, the haulage-business, and anything that is a high-public-profile as a European operation, may be only ones with genuine concern out-there. I always viewed the EU for English words as a domainers mistake.

still you know what our Parliament is like, give em something to bite - and blimey it's like the day of the dogs

Last edited:
•••
Brexit Good for Brits, may be bad for Germany, they lost one big country to dump their product without import tax. About .EU not worth it. It represent 28 country but not mainstay in any of these country. Best domain extension in Europe is .de followed by co.uk . I remember how EU sidelined in climate talk between USA, India and china, simply because they declare their commitment weeks before negotiation. Their response to crisis is standard, predictable and they more care about being righteous even if its against their own citizens interest.

•••
Just shows how rigged the system is. Go .com or go home!:) Dot com covers the globe.

•••
there will be no brexit
so this is a "storm in a glass of water"

•••
Dot com covers the globe

I checked various UK-based websites - and it appears that most if not all are in .co.uk (not even .uk).
Why did I check? As the result of planned brexit, British Pound went down - and I immediately found that a lot of things online became cheaper in UK from my point of view (outside UK). So I started purchasing more online in UK - DVDs for example, I also maintain 2 hosting accts in UK, etc.

Which makes me think that the arguments of those who support brexit are indeed correct - UK-based production and import may go up in a long run, which should be good for any independent economy (finally, independent again... but after the brexit). Less import to EU? Well it would be a problem of EU if they do not want to receive quality British products and services, and the world is not only EU.

Last edited:
•••
•••
  • The sidebar remains visible by scrolling at a speed relative to the page’s height.
Back