IT.COM

2022 Predictions

NameSilo
Watch

imwangi

Established Member
Impact
2021 has closed with Metaverse and NFTS at the top of the domain market table. If you had a key domain name in any of these niches, I bet you made a pretty penny. I wasn't lucky; but as we know, this business is about timing and chance. Knowing what is trending is critical, but by then all the high value domains are taken. It's therefore important to look into a crystal ball and take a chance on where the market is headed, where the next meta or nft will come from. So, what's your predictions for 2022?

•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
I wasn't lucky either. Then again, I didn't buy any Meta / NFT domains. I'm hesitant to answer such a question, because I could be wrong about something that is almost impossible to predict. You need a crystal ball, or a sign in the sand from god. Blockchain domains will grow in dominance throughout 2022, I am fairly confident in that prediction alone

Last edited:
•••
65% Chance There Will Be a LLLL.org Buyout.

100% Will Happen. Will it Be in 2022?

•••

Do you happen to know the percentage/number of domains remaining to be registered?

•••
I got 4 pure one word Meta/metaverse.extenson
3 Eth.extesion
unfortunately couldnot grab any one word NFT.extension since i was less expert back than.
But I took nifty.tienda & defi.es

•••
Do you happen to know the percentage/number of domains remaining to be registered?

I don't have the current numbers right now, but tens of thousands (out of 456K)

•••

My take (and hope!) is that it will be a LLLL.xyz buyout. Sales for both LLL.xyz and brandable.xyz are growing, I think the next popular niche will be 4letters xyz that some companies will create brands on.

•••
is it possible in the future that companies will be able to buy for example:

shell.shell
nike.nike
Ferrari.Ferrari

sorry if that is a silly question? I am still new to all this. i am just trying to grasp a few things.

Last edited:
•••

Does it mean that any kind of meaningful dot org names too may grow? That is will it follow the dot com path with twowords and brandables?

•••
Posted my 2022 predictions in @Bob Hawkes thread https://www.namepros.com/threads/wh...-blog-post-sought.1260570/page-3#post-8483572.

shell.shell
nike.nike
Ferrari.Ferrari
No question is too bizarre on Namepros. But why would Shell, Nike or Ferrari do that?

My take (and hope!) is that it will be a LLLL.xyz buyout. Sales for both LLL.xyz and brandable.xyz are growing, I think the next popular niche will be 4letters xyz that some companies will create brands on.
I hope you earn profit from your investments, at the same time I hope xyz is banned from the universe in 2022.

Last edited:
•••
I expect a strong demand on .xyz & .ai in 2022. And a growth in .org & .net sales.

Crypto will stay strong but cryptocurrency will decline and NFTs will grow for a while. I expect that AI & Robotics will explode this year. VR & AR will flourish but not that much.

The question is: what is the next big thing after NFTs & Meta?
It is very hard to speculate because there are many candidates, but there is a pattern that can be noticed over the years: anything that becomes a big opportunity for investment explodes in a short time! Think about: cbd, Btc, NFT, Meta.. the common thing about these is that a lot of people and startups took the opportunity to invest in them to make money! Follow the money and you will find the answer.

Last edited:
•••
@Ostrados
VR & AR will flourish but not that much.
Why will V.R. and A.R. not flourish that much in 2022?

" The global AR market size was estimated at USD 17.67 billion in 2020 and is expected to reach USD 26.75 billion by 2021. What is the augmented reality market growth? b. The global AR market is expected to grow at a compound annual growth rate of 43.8% from 2021 to 2028 to reach USD 340.16 billion by 2028. "

https://www.grandviewresearch.com/industry-analysis/augmented-reality-market

us-augmented-reality-market.png

" The number of global virtual reality device shipments was 13. 48 million units in 2020, and it is expected to reach a volume of 112. 62 million units by 2026. "

https://finance.yahoo.com/news/virtual-reality-vr-market-growth-121600692.html

Last edited:
•••
•••
I expect a strong demand on .xyz & .ai in 2022. And a growth in .org & .net sales.
I think we'll see a decline in .NET domains. I rarely see any new projects using .NET - the only thing I see them used for in the last few years is for backend data, where a company will have their main .COM domain and use a .NET for their CDN hosting

Last edited:
•••
What's wrong with them?
Everything. It's not a logical domain name extension. It doesn't help to categorize anything. It doesn't do anything except cause confusion. It will never take off in actual end usage. It's all hype. Smoke and mirrors and shadows. Many people will lose money. Dot xyz is a dud and ten times worse than dot biz. Thank me later when the xyz market crashes.

Last edited:
•••
•••

shell.shell
nike.nike
Ferrari.Ferrari

sorry if that is a silly question? I am still new to all this. i am just trying to grasp a few things.

Apple owns .apple. Google owns .google. I read somewhere that .monster was initially for Monster Jobs. Definitely possible, perhaps with blockchain domains!

Last edited:
•••
I think we'll see a decline in .NET domains. I rarely see any new projects using .NET - the only thing I see them used for in the last few years is for backend data, where a company will have their main .COM domain and use a .NET for their CDN hosting
Quite a few brand new Meta domains in .net went for tens of thousands of dollars in the last year. xyz did far better than biz.

Last edited:
•••

shell.shell
nike.nike
Ferrari.Ferrari

If this happens, I believe it will mark the end of bargaining as a business.

•••
Quite a few brand new Meta domains in .net went for tens of thousands of dollars in the last year. xyz did far better than biz.
Please list top 10 websites in the world using xyz extensions. Real websites people actually use. Otherwise is 100 % hype and thousands of domainers are being duped and conned. Not dissimilar to a standard gutter pyramid scheme in my opinion. Worthless without all the hype. Only two parties will ultimately benefit, a small group of savvy domainers who cash in while it's hot, and like always the registrars and marketplaces. Nobody actually uses xyz domain names. I've never been to one. I've never seen a legitimate company use one. I've never seen one on a T.V. or You Tube advert or in a magazine. Or anywhere except where domainers lurk. It's a worthless, pointless extension that doesn't bring any real benefit to anyone except speculators and facilitators and I hope it goes bust in 2022. I'm out!

Last edited:
•••
Everything. It's not a logical domain name extension. It doesn't help to categorize anything. It doesn't do anything except cause confusion. It will never take off in actual end usage. It's all hype. Smoke and mirrors and shadows. Many people will lose money. Dot xyz is a dud and ten times worse than dot biz. Thank me later when the xyz market crashes.

I tend to agree. I don't understand why .XYZ is becoming so popular. For brand-ability, there are other extensions that I would go for before I even think of a .xyz. I guess once the hype blows over, there will be a meltdown for this extension.

•••
I guess once the hype blows over, there will be a meltdown for this extension.
THIS (2022 or 2023). I could be wrong, but hope I'm right.

Last edited:
•••
@Ostrados

Why will V.R. and A.R. not flourish that much in 2022?

" The global AR market size was estimated at USD 17.67 billion in 2020 and is expected to reach USD 26.75 billion by 2021. What is the augmented reality market growth? b. The global AR market is expected to grow at a compound annual growth rate of 43.8% from 2021 to 2028 to reach USD 340.16 billion by 2028. "

https://www.grandviewresearch.com/industry-analysis/augmented-reality-market

us-augmented-reality-market.png

" The number of global virtual reality device shipments was 13. 48 million units in 2020, and it is expected to reach a volume of 112. 62 million units by 2026. "

https://finance.yahoo.com/news/virtual-reality-vr-market-growth-121600692.html

This graph is exactly what I described as "will continue to grow in 2022 but not that much" if you look at the Graph from 2021 to 2022 there is no big jump in market size. What I meant is that VR/AR will not suddenly explode but will continue to grow at a natural rate.

•••

According to my own sales .net performed better than other non .com domains that I hold, and I noticed that this improvement happened only this year (for me). Maybe I am wrong but I have strong feeling that .net will make a decent comeback in 2022.

Last edited:
•••

It is not a logical extension, but it's also used for things that are not quite logical as well (or weren't logical yesterday - let's put it this way) - crypto, NFT, meta - the whole rapidly digitalized world. I think this world is looking for a new extension. Com? Too traditional. Net and Biz - outdated. Co - reminds com too much. Io has a strict tech stigma. So, to me there is quite a good chance that .xyz was chosen for this whole ''digi future'' and it will only continue to grow.
Do I discard the possibility that a xyz is a bubble which is gonna burst? Absolutely not. Enough demand needs to be accumulated so the world recognizes it widely, and it is a big question whether or not it is gonna happen.
However, I am confident that in 2022 xyz will remain strong. I see no indication in the next year for it to go down. In any case my investment in it is about $200 between some 4 letters, one-word and popular two words, so I am not worried much.

•••
Back