Domain Empire

2004, The Year of the 3-Letter Domainer?

Spaceship Spaceship
Watch
I may be somewhat optimistic in this title, but I thought I'd offer a few comments for posterity's sake, and I welcome your agreements or disagreements.

Consider these points:

1. In 2004, the un-registered supply of pure 3-letter domain names in .info, .biz and .us have all been registered. This now means that pure 3-letter names in all the top extensions of: .com, .net, .org, .de, .co.uk, .info, .biz & .us are all registered and can only be purchased via a rare drop or from the private marketplace. (In addition to this, all 3-number names in these same extensions are all taken, as are all 3-character names in .com).

2. The domain marketplace in 2004 has seen an incredible valuation boom, particularly in the 3-letter marketplace. In January, 2004, the minimum wholesale sales prices (according to my research on the major dn boards) for 3-letter domains composed of even poor letters were:

.com = $375
.net = $50
.org = $15
.info = $5 (Some people were selling their names at a loss to Reg Fee)
.biz = $2 (Some people were selling their names at a loss to Reg Fee)
.us = $2 (Some people were selling their names at a loss to Reg Fee)

Now compare this to values researched from the same boards in October 2004:

.com = $875
.net = $175
.org = $30
.info = $25
.biz = $15
.us = $12

Notice that all extensions listed saw a sharp increase in minimum wholesale value in just 10 months time, and no slow-down to the increase is in any way foreseen for the future.

3. The remaining supply of non-end-user held 3-letter domains (defined as 3-letter names still held by speculators/dealers and not by end-user companies) has greatly dwindled. This can be attributed to many factors, including the continual sale of 3-letter domain names to end-users by name holders as well as the influence of Elequa who personally owns thousands of the limited number of 3-letter names in .com, .net, .org, .info and .biz and has pledged never to sell them (thus becoming his own end-user), of which many of these said names were purchased by him in calendar year 2004.

4. End-user demand for 3-letter names has continued to grow, as many companies have come to value a respectable web presence, which includes owning their own business name's acronym. This can only be accomplished by purchasing their desired name from the current owner.

--> My Analysis (and editorial):
In consideration of the above info and research, it really seems possible to me that the market for pure 3-letter domains is in the beginning phases of a long-term boom. As demand rises at a strong pace, and as the general domain marketplace is on a very strong bounce-back from the .com "recession" of 2000-2002, I can't help but be very optimistic, and more than happy to invest in the 3-letter marketplace. And as all this is said, I have yet to mention the huge growth in domain parking for revenue, which has additionally allowed those investing in 3-letter names to make additional income from their names!

So My Question:
With all of this said, do you share in my optimism? Is this a proper analysis or am I way off base?

I'd love to hear your opinions (agree or disagree)!

Thank you,
Andrew

Last edited:
•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
Well put. I agree. Basic laws of supply and demand.

I have 230+ 3 letter domains to prove it, even after selling a good number. My investment has been well worth it.

•••
Wonder what people are doing with all those 3 characters?

•••
freak said:
Wonder what people are doing with all those 3 characters?

FYI, INS WTD.

In other words: for your information, I'm not sure what they're doing :lol:

•••
yipee! hope for great upsurge in values of all extensions. any interest in names will be a great boost for the industry!!

•••
Just fyi, not all 3-number .co.uk's are regged yet. I actually posted a thread here a while back that had a list of the ones that are not regged yet in it.

•••
zd: Nice thread. Thanks for taking the time.

ST

•••
I was kinda hoping it was going to be the year of the 18 letter domain...
I got a bunch of them.........................

Even in domain names.... SIZE MATTERS!!!! DAMN... to small in one area... to big in another... What gives????

Shawn

•••
Thanks for that ZD, a nice outline, easy to understand.

EagleWD said:
I was kinda hoping it was going to be the year of the 18 letter domain...
I got a bunch of them.........................

Even in domain names.... SIZE MATTERS!!!! DAMN... to small in one area... to big in another... What gives????

Shawn
No Shawn, it's the year of the 3-5 word 18-30 letter domain if I'm ever going to sell one... :lol: ... wait, thats not funny :'(

Peace, kp
:wave:

•••
  • The sidebar remains visible by scrolling at a speed relative to the page’s height.
Back