IT.COM
Spaceship Spaceship
Watch
Impact
I was offered $200,000 for a domain name that I own by a company that is worth billions of dollars.

This figure was expected for this particular domain name however I am in need of some advice in regards to possibly developing a company/website out of this opportunity instead.

My domain is an exact-phrase match for technology that is going to be around for the next decade (guaranteed) and this particular phrase will be on over 100 million consumer electronic products, their commercials, packaging and even brochures - you can't miss it. Average price of these consumer products (as of now) is $10,000.

So, do I develop/drop-ship (e.g. 5-7% commission for 10 years) with an exact-phrase domain and stellar SEO/Development skills OR do I take my $200,000 and buy champagne.

All feedback is appreciated ahead of time! Thank you

•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
•••
•••
Based on the info provided, It's a massive no brainer... Take the money and invest some of it in one or more of the "20+ domains you have in the same field that are even better". 200K for a domain that is like your 21st best one in that field, and you don't want to sell because you want to develop a site with that particular one.. Am I missing something here. The more I read the more I became skeptical as to whether this story is in fact reality. Feel like I'm getting trolled on my first post ;P

In any case, working in SEO, you would know that the domain is of far lesser importance to the content/marketing/social signals/brand/bounce-rates/and a bazllion other factors.

To develop a site that has a chance to compete in search rankings against a billion dollar company, you're going to have to work your butt off and put some money into it. So having 200K in cash is perfect. And don't forget you have 20+ better domains, so I'd say sell a few more of the lesser ones to the competitors, you could end up a millionaire before you've even developed a site lol

Definitely seems like 3D Printing to me, UHD TV's rrp's are and were always going to drop faster than free-fall within a year or two. 3D Printers on the other hand, fantastic niche!

•••
closed, happy new years.

•••
how about an update on the domain sale.....

•••
Honestly speaking if it is such a popular million dollar thing there is bound to be copyright and trademark, also there is hardly any phrase which can not be Tmed, when you know it's a Billion dollar company you should also know that they can hire million dollar lawyers without a blink, and no matter what you feel about your domain, these companies have a lot of pull in courts and they are hardly ever beaten
I would recommend you make a reasonable counter offer, somewhere around 385k-400k, if they take it well and good, and probably they will if it's such a huge thing , if not lower your offer a little bit andtell them you aren't going any lower than this and forget it if they don't take it.

It's not about backing down or crying
when people take you to court it's not the brawny or the brave who win but the smart ones who make the right decisions
Think about it , consult someone whom you can share the domain name with and then carefully proceed

---------- Post added at 09:10 PM ---------- Previous post was at 09:08 PM ----------

sorry I was late, didn't realize

•••
•••
you got me curious..... care to share the domain name with us? :)

•••
you got me curious..... care to share the domain name with us? :)

Read the thread. Do minimal research. Then have a guess. Post it here.

•••
  • The sidebar remains visible by scrolling at a speed relative to the page’s height.
Back