NameSilo
Namecheap AuctionsNamecheap Auctions
SpaceshipSpaceship
Spacemail by SpaceshipSpacemail by Spaceship
Watch

DomainAuction

Established Member
Impact
87
I was offered $200,000 for a domain name that I own by a company that is worth billions of dollars.

This figure was expected for this particular domain name however I am in need of some advice in regards to possibly developing a company/website out of this opportunity instead.

My domain is an exact-phrase match for technology that is going to be around for the next decade (guaranteed) and this particular phrase will be on over 100 million consumer electronic products, their commercials, packaging and even brochures - you can't miss it. Average price of these consumer products (as of now) is $10,000.

So, do I develop/drop-ship (e.g. 5-7% commission for 10 years) with an exact-phrase domain and stellar SEO/Development skills OR do I take my $200,000 and buy champagne.

All feedback is appreciated ahead of time! Thank you
 
0
•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
GoDaddyGoDaddy
0
•••
Take the money !!



Good luck
 
0
•••
0
•••
I would give my opinion with your situation but it's difficult without knowing the actual name.

Feel free to PM the name if you want another view point.

DING DING DING.
Give this man a prize.

We may be talking about a fake offer on a $5 domain or a real offer on a $1,000,000 name.

Who the hell knows? How did the offer even come? Through Bodis.com? Pretty sure no business just pops up and sends a $200K offer without checking their finances/legal team. A lot of billion dollar companies need to get accounting to clear a $100 battery replacement on a developers laptop.

@Jasonn - I totally would but I have 20+ domains in the same field that are even better! =)

So someone is offering $200K for the 21st best name in a niche that only you spotted?

I'm going to go out on a limb and guess it's something like

ultrahighdefinitiontelevision.com

That's a pretty mediocre exact key word match with better alternatives (UHD, 4K) etc...

Anything in that space is not worth $200K and your best advice would be to not count your chickens. You won't even see $10K.

If it's in that niche - your chances of doing anything of value development wise is 0%. Dropshipping works in very short technology windows - when demand is high and supply is short.

Good luck, either way.

---------- Post added at 04:09 AM ---------- Previous post was at 04:06 AM ----------

I agree, cash + shares

that way (assuming you keep the shares) you will share in profits

An existing company worth billions... and you want shares so you can share in the profits? How many shares you want?

0.000001%?

---------- Post added at 04:16 AM ---------- Previous post was at 04:09 AM ----------

And - if it is in the UHD niche.. TVs already available for under $1K.

Great value for the 2 or 3 IMAX movies that are available :)

If it's not that's fine but it just to prove how quickly prices tumble in the modern world. In 5 years they will be in every TV for $500 (still no content) ;) So bear that in mind too. Predictions make fools of great men.
 
3
•••
Very true @decades80 - I totally agree on the competition factor.

However, selling 250 of these products as a drop-shipper or an affiliate will generate $200,000 in profits alone - and it's very possible to accomplish this. What if I were able to sell 1000 units? =)

I am not a fan of greed, but the #'s just don't add up to me although this is largest offer for any domain I have ever owned.

If you're not doing that already now, getting an offer like this will motivate you *to* do it? Turning down money for something you're not using to try to make money by using it? I don't get it.

I'd take the 200 and buy champagne, a lot of it.
 
0
•••
Few things needs to be considered:
1. Are you financially stable right now? or in 2-3 years to come? if yes
then keep it and develop it and make its value much higher. (long and stable investment)

2. If your not financially stable, the better option is sell it now. sometimes countering their offer leads to a non sale.[/QUO


Good answer GMD.
 
0
•••
So - what happened?
 
0
•••
I will sell it because I'm a domainer and a domainer is good at what he knows and do.
Developping, marketing and selling stuff is another world. You can fail even with the best domain name in the world. Take the money and let other do what they want with it, they make huge money out of it, then you must be happy for them.

And because $200k is a lot of money in domaining, you should be happy to sell it but be careful about all the legal and escrow things before.


Over dedades, I rarely heard a domainer that have been successful developping his domain name.
This is true and will always be.

If you plan to keep and develop it then become successful, contact me, you'll be the first and I will add you to my "glory domainer's book" :laugh:
 
Last edited:
0
•••
I am wondering , which niche DN we are talking here .

Is it Oled TVs, Amoled TVs ? ( I doubt - there I am dominant player), 3D printing !


I would bet its 3D printing , and if it is then 200k are peanuts and you should ask 2M !!

or Gene therapy ? Dna drugs ? Google glasses ? Color eReaders ?

but as you mentioned it will be everywhere - so it must be TVs !

so UHD TVs ? 4kTVs ? probably .

just my 2 cents of guessing

rokoroko
 
0
•••
Just some research on the member and a simple search on Whoisology or Domaintools will tell you which niche it is, unless they're under privacy.

I'm in agreement with everyone here. He should sell. If he can get something extra out of the deal, (shares, profits, etc), then all the better.

But I would definitely sell. The way technology changes in the blink of an eye, there is no guarantee that this particular one will be around in 10 years.

Take the money! IMO

Good luck either way.
 
Last edited:
0
•••
Negotiate passive revenue stream/shares as well as the 200 thousand.

It seems the billion dollar company has chosen this as their #1.

You could easily utilize one of the other 100 + niche you have as your dropship website while earning passive revenue from the 200k deal.

PM us the name and we can share more insight

Remember all businesses are a spinning top

200 thousand plus shares and deving your own brand on a different domain seems to be the trifecta. win - win - win.
 
0
•••
I would develop if you have the capacity to do so.
 
0
•••
Best solution:

Ask $500,000 cash + 5% royalties on all profits they do from this technology/domain name.
 
0
•••
any evolution of negotiations ?

I am a big fan of technology DNames .

thanks for update
 
Last edited:
0
•••
Would love to know what it is, but far too many people bailing too early here. If its that good, then 200k sounds like change and I'd be insulted more than excited if anything.

If its generic, and set to be a good healthy market and you have some balls hang on to it, or like a PP mentioned, go back with an offer slightly above what you would be happy with. If they negotiate you down a bit then you will still hit your happy range - if they dont, then speak to competitors of said company to see if you can generate some other interest in it.

All imo and I have no worldy experience - but if I was in your shoes...and all that. :)
 
0
•••
Let's get an update OP :)
 
0
•••
0
•••
Based on the info provided, It's a massive no brainer... Take the money and invest some of it in one or more of the "20+ domains you have in the same field that are even better". 200K for a domain that is like your 21st best one in that field, and you don't want to sell because you want to develop a site with that particular one.. Am I missing something here. The more I read the more I became skeptical as to whether this story is in fact reality. Feel like I'm getting trolled on my first post ;P

In any case, working in SEO, you would know that the domain is of far lesser importance to the content/marketing/social signals/brand/bounce-rates/and a bazllion other factors.

To develop a site that has a chance to compete in search rankings against a billion dollar company, you're going to have to work your butt off and put some money into it. So having 200K in cash is perfect. And don't forget you have 20+ better domains, so I'd say sell a few more of the lesser ones to the competitors, you could end up a millionaire before you've even developed a site lol

Definitely seems like 3D Printing to me, UHD TV's rrp's are and were always going to drop faster than free-fall within a year or two. 3D Printers on the other hand, fantastic niche!
 
0
•••
closed, happy new years.
 
0
•••
how about an update on the domain sale.....
 
0
•••
DomainEasy: white label portfolios are live. Enable yours.

We're social

Escrow.com
Spaceship
Escrowly
CryptoExchange.com
Domain Recover

NamePros updates

Scheduled posts now show a small calendar icon
When NamePros posts something for you on a schedule, you will now see a small calendar icon before its date. Move your mouse over the...
AIVikings
Catchy
  • The sidebar remains visible by scrolling at a speed relative to the page’s height.
Back