Dynadot

question $100 offers on your domains. What's the Secret?

Spaceship Spaceship
Watch

WhoaDomain.com

WhoaDomain.comTop Member
Impact
What's the best way to get at least $100 offers on your domains @ marketplaces to get the ball rolling?

Ideas wanted. Thanks.

•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
I hate to say this but a lot of domains are worth more when they drop. I was a prolific member on another forum and the complaint was that domainers could not sell to another domainer, even for 10 dollars. As soon as they let the domain drop, people paid 50 bucks to be first in line to pick it up.

I am probably one of those guys paying to pick it up because its easy and effortless. No escrow, nobody to bother with and everything goes smooth as silk.

Haggling over a 100 dollar domain is more trouble than its worth.... for me anyways.

That is why I like a professional place like this name pros, I have high hopes that I will find some decent action. When I get the fever I have been known to pay up to 5k on a bid.

funny you mentioned fever. I'm about to drop my first big purchase on a domain today and it's not even like your 5k.

•••
•••
I haven't read this whole thread. But you won't/almost never get any $100+ offers on crap domains. You need pretty good quality domains to get any $100+ offers.

you could try putting them up for auction on GoDaddy as make off with min bid $100. Then accept any min offers you receive. This is better than buy now, because it looks like you value the domain higher than $100. gives the potential buyer some warm feeling :)

•••
I haven't read this whole thread. But you won't/almost never get any $100+ offers on crap domains. You need pretty good quality domains to get any $100+ offers.

you could try putting them up for auction on GoDaddy as make off with min bid $100. Then accept any min offers you receive. This is better than buy now, because it looks like you value the domain higher than $100. gives the potential buyer some warm feeling :)

I think an explanation from me is in order. lol

1. I want $100 offers to turn into auctions ie. Sedo Free push to auction.
2. I expect $100 offers only on my best domains. not crap ones. So I would never waste trying to get $100 offers on my crap domains although I might give it a try. :xf.grin: Basically I wanna see what my Good to best domains will fetch at auction? essentially rolling the dice and see what happens? instead of doing outbounds which seems to be a waste of time these days with the spam stigma attached to outbounds.
3. I do not like paying to start an auction rather push a $100 offer to free domain auction on Sedo.

All of thee above is why I asked the question of this thread. If there are any Secrets to getting $100 offers on domains (good to best ones)

https://www.namepros.com/threads/sh...n-to-push-it-to-auction.1005683/#post-6037069

Thanks Stubs for the input much appreciated.

•••
Buy good domains

This is key, buying "EMD" domains is not a good business model, when being offer domains that says "This domain has 22,000 exact monthly search volume", makes me click DELETE ... and actually I click the SPAM button so I don't get that garbage email ever again from that email, and hopefully gmail will mark all further emails from the offending EMAIL as spam in there SPAM system!!

Give me a domain that is the name of 20 different businesses, based all over the world, which makes it generic. That is worth $200 to $400 to buy as over the next 2 to 5 years, someone will buy it for $2k or more.

The key here is ZERO EFFORT to sell, other than time ... vs begging aka PI$$ING people off trying to sell domains that End Users really don't want, that you thought up and want a $100 for, when it is not a EUTD.

If you business model is to make a domain up and buy it for $10 then try to sell it for $100, is not a good business plan. The risk is way to high, spending a $100 on a decent/good/OK business name is worth the risk of 10 made up "brandable" $10 domains.

When the business model is to sell to other domainers, it is called MLM and MLM is a horrible business model for everyone except the product owner, which are the "registrars" and "registry" Transfer fees and escrow fee's and bank charge card fee's. Everyone makes $ except the domainer!!

Take Herbalife as a perfect example ...
www. google. com/ search?q=icahn+mlm+scam&ie=utf-8&oe=utf-8
If you have to say, your company or business is not a pyramid scheme, well, it is one.

Just my 2 cents worth.

End User Type Domain = EUTD

•••
@Avtar629

Writer shorter posts and the domain gods will give you $100 offers. :xf.wink: Oh and buy decent domains (y)

EDIT: In your case, I would definitely stop buying anything. If I remember correctly you have over 10K+ domains and if you have to ask this question then I think you're doing something wrong. Stop buying, stop writing long posts, just read, read, read.

Last edited:
•••
good domain + proper buyer + luck = $100 offer.

•••
A true secret cannot be revealed :)

•••
This is key, buying "EMD" domains is not a good business model, when being offer domains that says "This domain has 22,000 exact monthly search volume", makes me click DELETE ... and actually I click the SPAM button so I don't get that garbage email ever again from that email, and hopefully gmail will mark all further emails from the offending EMAIL as spam in there SPAM system!!

Give me a domain that is the name of 20 different businesses, based all over the world, which makes it generic. That is worth $200 to $400 to buy as over the next 2 to 5 years, someone will buy it for $2k or more.

The key here is ZERO EFFORT to sell, other than time ... vs begging aka PI$$ING people off trying to sell domains that End Users really don't want, that you thought up and want a $100 for, when it is not a EUTD.

If you business model is to make a domain up and buy it for $10 then try to sell it for $100, is not a good business plan. The risk is way to high, spending a $100 on a decent/good/OK business name is worth the risk of 10 made up "brandable" $10 domains.

When the business model is to sell to other domainers, it is called MLM and MLM is a horrible business model for everyone except the product owner, which are the "registrars" and "registry" Transfer fees and escrow fee's and bank charge card fee's. Everyone makes $ except the domainer!!

Take Herbalife as a perfect example ...
www. google. com/ search?q=icahn+mlm+scam&ie=utf-8&oe=utf-8
If you have to say, your company or business is not a pyramid scheme, well, it is one.

Just my 2 cents worth.

End User Type Domain = EUTD

First off thanks for the input.

Second. Wow! First person I've heard say that emd's essentially suck.

See that's confusing.

Especially when you read online about big corps owning tens of thousands of emd domains like Amazon and Johnson and Johnson and Microsoft does.

Also if you ask 100 domainers about end vs brandables most would choose emd hand over fist as a better investment.

Brandables = sounds great but only one in a million buyer
Emd = sounds good too but not as cool but many potential buyers.

Plus emd's are great for SEO purposes so I've read. Unless that has changed recently?

•••
@Avtar629

Writer shorter posts and the domain gods will give you $100 offers. :xf.wink: Oh and buy decent domains (y)

EDIT: In your case, I would definitely stop buying anything. If I remember correctly you have over 10K+ domains and if you have to ask this question then I think you're doing something wrong. Stop buying, stop writing long posts, just read, read, read.

Hehe lol always leave it to you lucid to give it straight.

Lol I really do need keep things short.

And for the 10k+ domains I've sold some at breakeven pricing some definitely dropped so now under 9k. Mostly Chinese domain bs.

And I get it lucid .

Money talks bs walks.

If I were say Mike Mann I can afford to make lengthy stories and people will read ever word.

But a newbie with no big sales? Just waste of a read. Guess it's time to start selling and stop talking. Only then can I write a book. My memoirs lol. Sike!

Thanks lucid.

•••
1. I want $100 offers to turn into auctions ie. Sedo Free push to auction.
2. I expect $100 offers only on my best domains. not crap ones. So I would never waste trying to get $100 offers on my crap domains although I might give it a try.
Bad idea. That means you are going to accept the low amount of $100 as the reserve, minus Sedo commission ($60) = $40 net in your pocket. And if your best names cannot command higher opening offers, you're doing something wrong. Get a $1000 offer at least.
Auctions are unlikely to fetch high prices unless:
  • the domains are very liquid so many domainers will take part
  • or there is a large pool of end users ready and willing to pay $$$$ (but hardly anybody follows the auctions on the domain marketplaces, only domainers)

•••
Bad idea. That means you are going to accept the low amount of $100 as the reserve, minus Sedo commission ($60) = $40 net in your pocket. And if your best names cannot command higher opening offers, you're doing something wrong. Get a $1000 offer at least.
Auctions are unlikely to fetch high prices unless:
  • the domains are very liquid so many domainers will take part
  • or there is a large pool of end users ready and willing to pay $$$$ (but hardly anybody follows the auctions on the domain marketplaces, only domainers)

Obviously my idea has a downside risk as with anything in life. So it would be smart for anyone who might take my idea and try it to make sure they try this idea on domains they feel at least 50% confident with.

The kind of domain that's at least worth $100 to somebody or maybe a few or more. But if that $100 could be turned into a free sedo auction push and get it on a high traffic marketplace and maybe use the money saved from not paying for a sedo auction to pay for a featured listing?

Perhaps there's a good chance it will sell for higher than $100?

Imo

https://www.namepros.com/threads/sh...n-to-push-it-to-auction.1005683/#post-6037069

Thanks Kate

Last edited:
•••
Perhaps there's a good chance it will sell for higher than $100?
$200 ? :xf.smile:
You have to make your time worthwhile. I don't sell in that range.

Auctions totally depend on timing, exposure and attendance (again: domainers...).
I'd rather accept a high offer from an end user right away, than bother with an auction that is going to be fueled by domainers.

Good names eventually get good offers.

•••
$200 ? :xf.smile:
You have to make your time worthwhile. I don't sell in that range.

Auctions totally depend on timing, exposure and attendance (again: domainers...).
I'd rather accept a high offer from an end user right away, than bother with an auction that is going to be fueled by domainers.

Good names eventually get good offers.

Maybe! Lol in this "game" I keep hearing "you can sit and wait for a whale or pay your bills and feed your family".

I think my idea is a compromise between the two.
Plus recently just hit 10k connections and rising.

One of them has to be an end-user to some of my domains.

Sure has boosted views on my auctions.

It's basically marketplace auction vs. outbounds to endusers.

After reading tons of negativity about spammers and the perception by the general public towards outbound email marketing. Outbounds just doesn't seem appealing anymore .

Maybe it works for some but that's probably because they aren't emailing random strangers.

See that word "eventually" is like a sharp "stone in the shoe" for me lol.

It's too vague. I mean can you set your alarm clock to "eventually". How?

Some of us don't have the luxury or simply the patience for "eventually" or for that one buyer with deep pockets coming the darkest reaches of Afternic. Of course if you have awesome domains parked they pay for themselves and even then some pros say "don't park" as it ruins domain value in rankings.

Auctions are more concrete. Start to finish with end result. Bad or good still an end result. It's really the litmus test for all domains. If it doesn't sell or just sells for $100? Then so be it. If no bids? Drop! Don't renew!

Some domains were kept by domainers for this "eventuality" you speak off only to drop because sometimes the trend of the domain they chose has fizzled out.

And many I've seen have invested in trend niches.

Also domain auctions are "high pressure" situations created by the "expiration date" of the auction. Impulse buy is greater.

Thanks Kate .

•••
Maybe! Lol in this "game" I keep hearing "you can sit and wait for a whale or pay your bills and feed your family".

I think my idea is a compromise between the two.
Plus recently just hit 10k connections and rising.

One of them has to be an end-user to some of my domains.

Sure has boosted views on my auctions.

It's basically marketplace auction vs. outbounds to endusers.

After reading tons of negativity about spammers and the perception by the general public towards outbound email marketing. Outbounds just doesn't seem appealing anymore .

Maybe it works for some but that's probably because they aren't emailing random strangers.

See that word "eventually" is like a sharp "stone in the shoe" for me lol.

It's too vague. I mean can you set your alarm clock to "eventually". How?

Some of us don't have the luxury or simply the patience for "eventually" or for that one buyer with deep pockets coming the darkest reaches of Afternic. Of course if you have awesome domains parked they pay for themselves and even then some pros say "don't park" as it ruins domain value in rankings.

Auctions are more concrete. Start to finish with end result. Bad or good still an end result. It's really the litmus test for all domains. If it doesn't sell or just sells for $100? Then so be it. If no bids? Drop! Don't renew!

Some domains were kept by domainers for this "eventuality" you speak off only to drop because sometimes the trend of the domain they chose has fizzled out.

And many I've seen have invested in trend niches.

Also domain auctions are "high pressure" situations created by the "expiration date" of the auction. Impulse buy is greater.

Thanks Kate .
Which auction platforms u prefer ?

•••
The secret is no secret handreg decent name godaddy auctions make offer no price. normally equates to $100 offers.

•••
Which auction platforms u prefer ?

Which ever one nets the highest bids. Which from NB is almost always sedo. Sure GoDaddy has the most sales but they seem to only show their expired auction results. I think their biggest sales are maybe under NDA? Who knows! But on NB so it seems sedo has the highest sales time after time.

•••
The secret is no secret handreg decent name godaddy auctions make offer no price. normally equates to $100 offers.

Even better if you reg at special prices like 99 cents or $1.99

•••
Out of curiousity, how many names do you own at this point? I ask because $100 offers are a bit on the low side for your best names if you have x,xxx in renewals each month.
(this sounds terrible but it might be best to try to sell your entire portfolio for as much as you can get, and then reinvest that into 1-4 names that are killer.)

•••
•••
Register the 'right' domain at the 'right' time for the 'right' price and offer it at the 'right' marketplace for the 'right' price so that the 'right' person will see it at the 'right' time and will make the 'right' offer.

It's no secret that it's hard to match all those 'right' points together - but if you can do so, you will get offers even muuuch higher than 100.00 USD.

Last edited:
•••
•••
We as a COLLECTIVE should make $100 offers on our friends and neighbors domains on NP not for the purpose of Shill bidding but for the purpose of maybe taking the chance to Grab a domain maybe worth $xxxx or $xx,xxx in the future for only $100 (if no other bids)

You are confusing sometimes. I'm not sure what you mean by this at all? Can you elaborate?

•••
But the point of this thread was assuming the domains were mediocre to decent to borderline "suck".

What secrets do you guys have to get AT LEAST A $100 OFFER?

Any success?

Of course great domains sell themselves this is obvious. Let's exclude those domains for sake of conversation.

But as they say one man's garbage is another man's treasure.

As evidenced many times by "head scratcher" domain sales. Like whaaaaaaaaaaaaaat?

The secret is: you're not going to get at least a $100 offer on those domains. Sure, the "head scratchers" happen but it happens too rare to be your only investment strategy.

•••
My only explanation for how he does it is he's Magic Mike Mann. Plus I don't think he works alone so delegation plus people being really professional and on top of what they do. Oh and he's Magic Mike Mann.

:xf.grin: yea the magician, just this week alone some names they (him and his team) sold wouldn't get a single bid in NP auction, in appraisal one would be told to drop or told its reg fee :)

I understand that he delegates, but I think he is really good at running the whole machine, agree the team helps

•••
  • The sidebar remains visible by scrolling at a speed relative to the page’s height.
Back