Dynadot .com transfer sale, only $10.12 with coupon code DYNA12, available while supplies last, ends October 31, 2026.

Now Just Wait A Minute!

Namecheap AuctionsNamecheap Auctions
SpaceshipSpaceship
SpaceshipSpaceship
Watch

Grrilla

VIP Member
Impact
87
I purchased an enom 6.95 reseller acct on ebay (using PayPal), and just got a request from seller for my enom acct info including a request for Password and Secret Question, If I pass all of this along, seller will have oppurtunity to go into my account and see details ie CrCards / bank acct info etc, right?. Seems fishy to me, unless there is something w/ procedure of transferring reseller accts that makes this necessary. Please advise..

I suppose I could go into acct and take out/dummy in info and change back after transfer is completed new P/W, actual details, but what a pain in the arse.
 
0
•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
GoDaddyGoDaddy
Be Careful - I don't Use enom much any more but on most reseller accounts - You create users under you and push domains to buyers -
I'm not an expert on that but be careful !

O I C - the actual account - Sorry !
 
0
•••
I explained this poorly in OP.

OK. In short, the seller of the Enom reseller account is requesting P/W, Secret Question and other info about my existing Enom (not reseller) acct. so that he can "set-up my new reseller acct" info".This came via a very plain email thatfrom a hotmail acct. He is the same guy that auctioned off the 6.95 enom acct on ebay a couple of days ago. Ugh. I'm liking this less and less.
:sick:
 
0
•••
look at his past reviews, look any good?
Also, look through enom to find if "I should give out my secret question/anser"
 
0
•••
Maybe he's asking you for info to place in the account, not your existing reseller account's login name and password. Which isn't a bad way of doing it.

But if I were you, I'll ask him to just put in any old value for those things, and to just give you a working username and password. Once you login yourself, you can update the other account details yourself.

There's absolutely no need for you to give him your credit card details, except if that is how you will pay him for the purchase of the $6.95 account.
 
0
•••
TX Checked in just before finishing letter to him and like the last bit of advice. I should be able to give him my user name w/o other info. Also, unfamiliar w/ enom having only transacted there a little. GoDaddy, for instance, only needs the email address, then everything else can be aliased in. TX for input gang. The only thing that concerns me, is giving out the user name, but w/o passwords, guess I'm OK.

Heres what I emailed him:
> Hi, I just checked the mail and saw your message.
>
>-original- well, if you are not going to give me the info then I cant do anything

--response--You asked me if "we cannot trust anyone these days?" My answer is "yes", w/ the caveat that trust comes after reaching a level of understanding through interaction, and the time necessary for getting to know another person. I think it is expecting alot of someone to hand over password information that could potentially give someone else access to personal information and finances. I would add, that IMO, it is an inexperienced person or a fool, that would indiscriminantly hand out info that could allow access to that kind of material. Would you give me your password that would allow access your enom account, where one could potentially access your finances and personal info? And while we're at it, will you give me the last four digits of your social security number? I'm not attempting to be sarcastic here, as much as I am trying to be realistic.

> My Enom user name is http. You can use your own made-up info for rest of the acct details. Simply create a password, email it to me, and I'll change up the info when I logIn at Enom later. Haven't gone through this process at Enom, but have worked w/ accounts and transfers at other registrars, and that's how I do it.

>At GoDaddy, for instance, one only needs an account email address, and the other info can be be aliased in, and the transfer complete. I have never asked an individual for existing account info, other than info I could otherwise acquire from a whois, and never have needed to.

> I appreciate your understanding of the matter and look forward to logging into enom tomorrow. and working w/ my new account.

> Sincerely

> MM
> :// httpaddress
>
 
Last edited:
0
•••
but does he have good standings at ebay?
Or does he have only like 2 reviews?
 
0
•••
Ok - I purchased an account off of ebay a while back as well. I checked out the seller first before completing the deal and was encouraged by his answers and his feedback ratings.

In order to set up the account, you do not need to give him anything at all. I had no input as to what my username would be which is fine because after all, its just a username and I have other accounts using my username of choice.

From reading your posts, your seller seems to assume that you already have an enom acount and that he is going to upgrade it for you to a 6.95 account using your existing enom account. As far as I know, THIS IS NOT POSSIBLE!! I have tried this out on a couple of occasions and found it not to be possible although I do not know if it is possible for an ETP to do it.

Anyway, the long and short of it is - the person you are buying the account from needs to know absolutely no information from you to open an account. He or she creates the account and then simply emails you the username and password - you then log in and chang ethe password details.

Ask your seller this question:- What would he do if you did not already have an enom account???
 
0
•••
Originally posted by bensontwenty
Ask your seller this question:- What would he do if you did not already have an enom account???

Good question. 8-X This smells funny.
 
0
•••
Enom already has an option like this automatically when you push a domain name elsewhere or create a new account. No need to provide any information at all except for a preferred userid.

Definitely do not give over any CC or other private information!
 
0
•••
Cmaster I did check his record out at ebay, he does have a track record and appears to run a hosting service biz: http://www.b12.org
Additionally, what he did was setup a new (second) acct. I think he is legit.
However!, after giving him detailed info on how I wanted him to handle creation of my new acct, as if to show me how clever he was, he emailed me back, stating that "[he]... could get the information, anyways...", and proceeded to list all of my Enom acct information, including password and secret question! He Hacked My Enom Acct!

I have changed all of the info, but apparently, if he wants to, he can access my account whenever he wishes. Haven't decided how to handle this breech yet, because he did open the new acct, appears legit, and basically seems to have only been interested in winning a p~~~ing match. I do have a brother-in-law who is a "good guy hacker" working for the Fed Gov, and could return his "favor", but am reluctant to ask the favor on a relatively minor prob like this.

Any thoughts??
 
Last edited:
0
•••
if everything with the account is ok just let it go and both of you can get along with your business.
 
0
•••
I agree with xclusive on this. However, you may also want to talk to your brother-in-law and to Enom about hack prevention in the future.
 
0
•••
Agreed. Was ready to flame him last night, contact enom etc etc, and then came to that conclusion, deleted the email, and chilled out.
A good reminder, that security systems can be brushed aside and that no ones info is safe on the net.
 
0
•••
I think the issue with it is that he is an etp which means he can create the $6.95 accounts and he does not have a script set up for customers to fill out their own info so he has to do it manually, which most resellers had to do.
 
0
•••
Tx edu. By etp, do you mean Eligible Telecommunications Provider or External Trading Partner? Curious about what his and other similar resale arrangements w/ Enom might be , and how this type of $6.95 reseller acct fits into scheme.
 
0
•••
Originally posted by Grrilla
Tx edu. By etp, do you mean Eligible Telecommunications Provider or External Trading Partner? Curious about what his and other similar resale arrangements w/ Enom might be , and how this type of $6.95 reseller acct fits into scheme.

Enom Technology Partner

When you buy under an ETP, that person will be able to see things you might not want to imagine. Which is why I would recommend you register/renew your domains at the $6.95 price then quickly push them out to a normal eNom account which you can easily create and not under any resellers. This is a sensitive matter, so I guess if you are paranoid about privacy, then go for an ETP account yourself.
 
0
•••
the guy just listed you all of your passwords?
Can't he easily push your good domains to an account of his choosing with this information? :)
 
0
•••
Right on Mole. ETP = Enom Technology Partner There are 2 ways to get the enom $6.95 account, directly from enom with a $6950 deposit or become an etp which gives the power to create them. Most $6.95 accounts are under an ETP, this is because you don't need the large deposit. The ones selling the $6.95 on ebay and on forums are ETP. I would have to estimate 99% if not 100% of the $6.95 accounts being sold are under an ETP. You just can't get an account without going through one without $7k.
 
0
•••
Don't overlook the possibility that he didn't hack your account at all. Your WHOIS info provides everything but secret question and password info. For these, he could have done some elementary Internet research to determine your mother's maiden name. As for the password (a bit trickier) being an ETP, he may actually run a site for domaineers, and have your preferred login info in a database that he could access (assuming you use the same pass for multiple sites).

A bit of a stretch, I know. But I find it very odd that someone would hack an eNom account just to get you default account info. Another more plausible scenario may be that he works at eNom, and sells reseller accounts for the extra income.
 
0
•••
Appraise.net

We're social

Escrow.com
Spaceship
Escrowly
CryptoExchange.com
Domain Recover
AIVikings
Catchy
  • The sidebar remains visible by scrolling at a speed relative to the page’s height.
Back