Dynadot

GoDaddy Auctions -- Discussion, Acquisitions, and Sales

Spaceship Spaceship
Watch

I searched the forum and could not find a thread dedicated solely to Godaddy auctions, which seem to be heating up lately.

I envision this thread as a place for discussion regarding YOUR sales and acquisitions, and general discussion about the auction venue itself, and, perhaps, some domain oddities that are popping up on the auction site, for example, high-priced domains that should be regfee.

:)

One caveat, though: for your own good, PLEASE do not reveal your auction win (or anyone else's, for that matter) until the domain has landed in your account because the original owner still has the option to renew it, and I know how vexing that can be. In other words, don't count your chickens until they're hatched.

On the other hand, if you're having second thoughts about your auction win, by all means tell us all about it.

I suppose that if an auction win is high profile, it's already out there, but, still...

Anyway, I'll start with three comments:

1. I won my first (and maybe last) intentional typo, and it's getting clicks (no $ so far, though): Forwx.com. I could not find a live TM on this term, but one never knows. I have mixed feelings about this one.

2. I accidentally clicked on a BIN that I didn't want (I wanted the one above it), but I decided to honor the bid anyway. Grrr..., so be careful before hitting the submit button. It's not in my account yet, so I can't really reveal it right now.

3. Currently, there's a weird .co domain at over $9,000, with three bidders duking it out. Again, I don't want to reveal what it is, but if you go to the most active auctions, it's number 1 (as of this posting).​

Mods, I hope this thread is okay.

•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
•••
•••
It's surely the Chinese bidding that one up. All good numbers with 2 8's, double repeating numbers.

•••
•••
It's also repeat numbers 0808 too. Those type of number domains do well in auctions. We'll just have to wait and see if the sale goes through.

•••
Quick question: What is the purpose of 'email seller' showing next to a name in the 'auctions won' section of my control panel?

I acquired a name at GD auctions. I won, paid, and received the name into my account days ago, and the whois has been updated. However, today it now shows "email seller" next to the name. As I understand it, this is only used when GD has issues being able to push the name to a buyer's account, which has already completed.

Perhaps it is normal and I've just never noticed it before, or is it something to be concerned about? Thanks in advance for any info.

•••
Quick question: What is the purpose of 'email seller' showing next to a name in the 'auctions won' section of my control panel?

I acquired a name at GD auctions. I won, paid, and received the name into my account days ago, and the whois has been updated. However, today it now shows "email seller" next to the name. As I understand it, this is only used when GD has issues being able to push the name to a buyer's account, which has already completed.

Perhaps it is normal and I've just never noticed it before, or is it something to be concerned about? Thanks in advance for any info.
I think it's normal. All the domains I acquire on public (and not expiring) auctions show this.

•••
Good to know. I don't normally watch my 'won' list as much as I should, and most of the names I pick up are from expiring auctions.

Thanks for the info...

•••
Has anyone noticed an uptick of Go Daddy auction buys being renewed by owners?

I have had THREE this week alone.

Historically, if I experience three in one year, that's a lot, but never three in one week.

These particular domains were listed in the TLDinvestor daily lists -- that might have something to do with it.

By the way, the domains involved are

Cinha.com
( I was ambivalent about this one; it was a last minute $5.00 grab; total "Meh" -- the earlier Chiua.com i nabbed is MUCH better anyway)​
GotoInfo.com
(I was slightly disappointed about this one, but on second thought I'm basically "meh" about this $11 nab)​
ShouldYou.com
(I got in a bidding war on this one -- $155.00; I had a feeling that this one would be renewed, so I hand-registered ShouldOne.com and Should1.com. The BEST choice would have been ShouldI.com, owned by Frank Schilling, but my pockets aren't deep enough for his properties.

To be honest, I was kind of relieved this one was renewed because when I thought about it, it didn't quite work for my purposes.)​

Going forward, I plan to reveal the domains that got away from renewal (I'm keeping a record); if any of these belong to Namepros members -- oh well.

If you don't want to be named and shamed, then stop wasting my time and find another way to appraise your domains.

•••
If you don't want to be named and shamed, then stop wasting my time and find another way to appraise your domains.

Where's the shame? It's their name to do what they want with. I generally like to renew my names earlier, but it's not the domain owners fault when Godaddy attempts to auction off a name that is still in control of the past owner.

Why don't you put your energy into taking up a fight to have Godaddy pay previous owners a percentage of what their expiring names go for at auction? They wouldn't be the first registrar to do that and it would probably encourage more owners to let their names go for something instead of taking nothing and letting godaddy get the pay day.

•••
Sure it's the owner's fault, just renew your damn names, already, and stop wasting my time and MONEY (lost interest, etc.).

Otherwise, you shouldn't mind being called out, no? So being exposed is no big deal, right?

Go Daddy gives you plenty of time to renew; the auctions don't even start until day 25 after expiration and don't end until day 35. Are you so indecisive that you need 36 days to make up your mind about whether to renew or not?

The only reason one would allow a domain to expire is to get a real time appraisal. Period.

Go Daddy doesn't have to allow for renewals after expiration. Other registrars don't -- for example, Register.com. If you are ONE DAY late, they will charge you a $125 fee to renew it. I know this from personal experience. ICANN does nothing about this, either, so if you complain to them, you'll hear crickets chirping...

And which friggin' registrars share revenue? Give me one example... I heard that the idea was batted around years ago, but I have never heard of any registrars actually doing this.

While it would be nice to share in revenue (I would be all for this), keep in mind that we are discussing EXPIRED domains, most of them past 35 days.

Believe me, Go Daddy shares a lot of blame by not starting auctions later and allowing transfers out for expired domains (no other registrars allow this).

So, I'll continue to name the domains that I lose via renewals at Go Daddy.

•••
And which friggin' registrars share revenue? Give me one example... I heard that the idea was batted around years ago, but I have never heard of any registrars actually doing this.

Fabulous

Otherwise, you shouldn't mind being called out, no? So being exposed is no big deal, right?

Of course it's no big deal. That's exactly my point... there is no shame. If I see one of my expiring names get bid up as it goes through Godaddy's expiration process I'll renew it. I'd be foolish not too.

•••
Fabulous

Of course it's no big deal. That's exactly my point... there is no shame. If I see one of my expiring names get bid up as it goes through Godaddy's expiration process I'll renew it. I'd be foolish not too.

And if I "win" it, I'll make it public.

In that case, you shouldn't mind...

•••
And if I "win" it, I'll make it public.

In that case, you shouldn't mind...

OMG I'd be so embarrassed... somebody else wanted to buy one of my names! :laugh:

•••
OMG I'd be so embarrassed... somebody else wanted to buy one of my names! :laugh:

Most of the names that have been renewed out from under me have been BINs, so I wouldn't get too excited.

Besides, your renewal would not result in a sale by me...

•••
2 refunds for me in the last 3 days.
webpreschool.com
dentistryservices.com

It is a little frustrating as this is time wasted but for me most of the blame should go to godaddy

•••
The whole statement of 'if I saw one of my expiring domains getting bid up' is hypothetical. I don't pay much attention to what happens with names I decide to let go.

I have names get renewed on me just the same way that you do. If an owner renews a name in an auction that I "won" they'll get an offer in the same amount that I was willing to pay Godaddy

•••
I haven't noticed any uptick at the Closeout end of their auctions.

•••
hey guyz, i accidentally accepted an offer at godaddy through their mobile app and it shows domain SoldD-:.
I was not aware of it.What i knew that after accepting the offer it will go in to auction with the offer as starting BID.
I have emailed them to cancel the sale.Don't know, what will happen but i dont want to sell the domain at that price :(

The DN is registered to name.com.

•••
@4Lseller.com - You should be happy then. You will get the domain without any annoying competing bids?

•••
I couldn't find the GoDaddy thread to post this.

I was watching a domain which had some good value (not by estibot but imho) from the time it hit the auctions until there was only 3 days left on the regular auction. Then it disappeared. After checking the whois, it had been renewed but had a change of ownership. It was now owned by a very big domainer. I think this could only have happened if the big domainer negotiated to buy the domain from the original owner.

Does anyone think that this strategy has any merit? I know, I for one, would simply have renewed the domain and jacked up the price, if it had happened on one of my domains. How do you convince the original owner to actually sell you the domain?

Does anyone think this was just a one-off situation, or does it happen a lot. It's the first time I've seen it on a domain I was really interested in. The traffic stats were awful (2 IIRC) and there had been no bids. Which a little surprised me. But probably everyone was waiting until the last minute to bid on the domain.

I'm just wondering if this might be a worthwhile strategy to follow. The hard part would be 1) selecting which name to employ this strategy on, and 2) convincing the original owner to actually sell you the domain. Any tips on using such a strategy are welcome :)

•••

I was watching a domain which had some good value (not by estibot but imho) from the time it hit the auctions until there was only 3 days left on the regular auction. Then it disappeared. After checking the whois, it had been renewed but had a change of ownership. It was now owned by a very big domainer. I think this could only have happened if the big domainer negotiated to buy the domain from the original owner.

Does anyone think that this strategy has any merit? I know, I for one, would simply have renewed the domain and jacked up the price, if it had happened on one of my domains. How do you convince the original owner to actually sell you the domain?

Does anyone think this was just a one-off situation, or does it happen a lot. It's the first time I've seen it on a domain I was really interested in. The traffic stats were awful (2 IIRC) and there had been no bids. Which a little surprised me. But probably everyone was waiting until the last minute to bid on the domain.

I'm just wondering if this might be a worthwhile strategy to follow. The hard part would be 1) selecting which name to employ this strategy on, and 2) convincing the original owner to actually sell you the domain. Any tips on using such a strategy are welcome :)

Plenty of domainers have done this Stub, you are going to strikeout a lot, you need it to be an owner that is not a domain owner who has no idea domains have value.

There are people out there making a hundred phone calls and emails a week trying to find that Gold.

•••

I read a post a few weeks ago on here where someone had got their Godaddy account suspended due to that.

Apparently if Godaddy suspects you saw a certain domain listed on their auctions page and you go around them to purchase the domain they may close your account or lock you out. It's against their terms of service.

"If you find a Buyer using the Services, the transaction must be completed within the Services."

"You agree not to sell any domain name to any Buyer found through the Services without using the Services to complete the transaction. Should GoDaddy find that you are circumventing the Services, GoDaddy reserves the right to terminate your account and cancel all of your listings."

Link: https://www.godaddy.com/agreements/showdoc.aspx?pageid=dna_member

•••
I've read a post a few weeks ago on here where someone had got their Godaddy account suspended due to that.

Apparently if Godaddy suspects you saw a certain domain listed on their auctions page and you go around them to purchase the domain they may close your account or lock you out. It's against their terms of service.

"If you find a Buyer using the Services, the transaction must be completed within the Services."

"You agree not to sell any domain name to any Buyer found through the Services without using the Services to complete the transaction. Should GoDaddy find that you are circumventing the Services, GoDaddy reserves the right to terminate your account and cancel all of your listings."

Link: https://www.godaddy.com/agreements/showdoc.aspx?pageid=dna_member

That is usually after an auction closes DAJ, you are correct many have done it, I believe NP member Keith got his account closed.

Doing it before the auction closes, days out, I am not telling anyone what to do, but that less likely to show on Go Daddy's radar.

Then there are the people that say F - GO DADDY they don't own that domain and their profit is ill gotten gain.

•••
So it is actually against their ToS, as I understand it?

•••
  • The sidebar remains visible by scrolling at a speed relative to the page’s height.
Back