Domain Empire

GoDaddy Auctions -- Discussion, Acquisitions, and Sales

Spaceship Spaceship
Watch

I searched the forum and could not find a thread dedicated solely to Godaddy auctions, which seem to be heating up lately.

I envision this thread as a place for discussion regarding YOUR sales and acquisitions, and general discussion about the auction venue itself, and, perhaps, some domain oddities that are popping up on the auction site, for example, high-priced domains that should be regfee.

:)

One caveat, though: for your own good, PLEASE do not reveal your auction win (or anyone else's, for that matter) until the domain has landed in your account because the original owner still has the option to renew it, and I know how vexing that can be. In other words, don't count your chickens until they're hatched.

On the other hand, if you're having second thoughts about your auction win, by all means tell us all about it.

I suppose that if an auction win is high profile, it's already out there, but, still...

Anyway, I'll start with three comments:

1. I won my first (and maybe last) intentional typo, and it's getting clicks (no $ so far, though): Forwx.com. I could not find a live TM on this term, but one never knows. I have mixed feelings about this one.

2. I accidentally clicked on a BIN that I didn't want (I wanted the one above it), but I decided to honor the bid anyway. Grrr..., so be careful before hitting the submit button. It's not in my account yet, so I can't really reveal it right now.

3. Currently, there's a weird .co domain at over $9,000, with three bidders duking it out. Again, I don't want to reveal what it is, but if you go to the most active auctions, it's number 1 (as of this posting).​

Mods, I hope this thread is okay.

:)

•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
You should buy it when it drops to $11, else you will have 4 days more days of nail-biting tension.

Or even better yet, bid $12 for it when it's at auction and step ahead in line of all the monkeys who only buy closeouts.

•••
all the monkeys who only buy closeouts.

So i guess i am an Orangutan then, because i buy a lot of german Closeouts.

Thanks ;)

•••
I haven't been beaten out for an $11 domain that I have liked, so I think I will continue to roll the dice!

That's because you're only getting the picked over garbage at $11. A huge uptick in quality sells in the auctions, even for a single bid. What goes to closeout is significantly lower quality.

Not to say there aren't solid names that hit the closeouts- there definitely are- but if you don't keep up on the auctions, you're getting sloppy thirds, fourths rather than much better stuff.

•••
DU,

I suppose that I still believe in some kind of redemption, which is why I didn't mention the former employee's name.

You're a good person. I'm not actually convinced he was doing anything "wrong" but a lot that gave that perception. I'm not sure if it was against policy at the time. The whole domaining world is full of much worse, imho :)

---------- Post added at 04:46 PM ---------- Previous post was at 04:44 PM ----------

Maybe an idea for Namepros too?
Such a big Forum needs such threads.

Rather than requesting or stating the need for such threads.. why not just create them? You are empowered.

Start with Cuba Libre!

•••
I look through GD auctions everyday during the week, and I can't say that I see a huge difference between a domain that sells for $25 and an $11 closeout.

It's hard to apply any rhyme or reason to the sale prices. GD Auctions tend to be a bargain, relative to what the same name might sell for on Namejet.

Still, I can't count how many times I've seen a bunch of domainers fighting over xfdq.com, but very decent keyword or brandable stuff passes without much interest, but for a single bid in the last 3 minutes, or even clears the auctions and makes closeout.

I keep up with the auctions, which precludes any need to keep up with the closeouts since whatever arrives at that point is something I've already passed on.

•••
Just got an email that one of my auction wins had been renewed. Unfortunately, I also picked up the less valuable shortened version to make a pair and am now just stuck with that one. oh well

if you bought the short version after the auction ended, call godaddy and ask for a refund. FYI, the number of days since registration might be a factor.

I got refunds for .net/.org after having a .com auction win reclaimed. it had only been two days, though.

•••
Just got an email that one of my auction wins had been renewed. Unfortunately, I also picked up the less valuable shortened version to make a pair and am now just stuck with that one. oh well

Yes, this happens far too often.

One of my "wins" was transferred out by the "owner."

Evidently, there is no financial penalty for doing this; I have emailed my rep about this problem, suggesting that Godaddy ought to be placing Domain Locks on ALL expired domains.

Very, very irritating.

To my way of thinking, "expired" means that the former owner no longer owns the domain, and, therefore, should have no right to transfer out expired domains.

•••
Might be an issue with a certain company.

•••
Ok guys only a few hours left and some great .us domains up for grabs in the GoDaddy expiring auctions.

Wrestling.us
Cloud.us
Toy.us
Pixel.us
Printers.us
Fights.us
Bow.us

and many more. Seriously US residents need to check this out some absolute bargains here!

•••
And thank-you for your lesson. This has been a good reminder on the importance of being polite, humble, and not talking down to others.

Its clear we both rubbed eachother the wrong way.

My initial post was not meant to talk down to anyone.

Let's be very clear: When I said "You are incorrect" It was not meant to be diminutive or insulting.

I was simply sharing what I interperet to be the "correct answer".

I am ok if someone disagrees :)

•••
Maybe, regardless. The thread has not kept in the spirit of in which it was created

Which was what? Not sharing? Being anti-competitive?

You all think too much. You know how many tools show you GoDaddy expiring single word domains per extension exist? You know how many people just scan looking for names with bids about 1pm?

You know how many people know this drop happens every year?

I dont buy the NP bump theory and if it allowed other domainers to get in and benefit? Thats good for the overall market imho.

What irks me is that some domainers hate enom/snap etc. for stealing their customers expired names while hoping their tdnam name doesnt get renewed.

If the name was accidentally dropped because you didnt realize you could get it back?

So what is the spirit again? To me its a mixture of new blood, old blood, victories and losses and maybe someone who recovered a name they thought they lost.

•••
Right now, the "system" is being gamed by both sides, the sharks (us) who circle the expiring lists and "them" (and maybe some of us as well, lol) who use the current system to suss out true, real time, appraisals.
The system is being gamed by GoDaddy. This is where they make their money. GoDaddy's worth is not as a registrar but the underlying portfolio it manages as these names get sucked up by GoDaddy's PPC and then auction sales.

It is very rare that GoDaddy would be used as an appraisal. There are many reasons good names drop.

You don't even have to pay the redemption fee--you just simply transfer the domain from Godaddy, who HAS to allow transfers of expired domains, up to 42 days after expiration (my rep told me this is an ICANN rule).
ICANN stipulates 30 days. GoDaddy allows more. One registrar allows 75 days!?

I think the main difference between Godaddy and Snapnames/Namejet is that Godaddy is up front about the status of your auction win.
Both cover it in the T&C. Most people don't read them.

I would hope (for future reference) that we keep all pre-release auction wins mum until day 42 after original expiration, both your own and others'.
What happened to protecting the current registrant? We're now just protecting the secondary sharks? :)

I'm not going advocate censorship
I guess asking for it and advocating *are* two separate things.

but keep in mind the possible consequences of revealing your own and others' domain business on a public forum.
Consequences being?

Someone who owns a dropping name might realize some profit from realizing it has value?

The ones that are going to drop are going to drop. MOST of the time the ones that get renewed are simply sold to someone who directly contacted the current owner. They just outsharked you - but original owner got something out of it.

Most of these will drop. Most of these will drop again 2-3 years from now, imho.

•••

The registrant name for Cloud.us has changed. Just do a search for Cloud.us on Godaddy Whois:

The new owner is a well-known NP'er.

•••
Congrats Brad....great name, good luck with it :tu:

•••
I think the price agreed to was fair for both parties.
Brad

When a buyer says that I always have a hard time believe it's true for the seller. When a seller says it I have a hard time believing it's true for the buyer (though I've said it before myself)..

If I sent them an email saying I saw the name was renewed and offered them the auction price would they still think the offer was fair?

Don't worry, I'm not going to :)

Nice "catch".

•••
Not sure if they are allowed...but they could provide their domain customers with Free Privacy settings.

This would:
1) Be a huge selling tool for them
2) Act as a shield for their paranoia of losing a buck on what they consider backdoor sales
3) Also alleviate the garbage coming from spammers that grab whois email addresses - although I wouldn't have known about a great parking company if that were the case! :)
4) Save me some money on a couple domains I have paid privacy on.

Just a thought!

Last edited:
•••
What do you mean exactly ? You were bidding on domains that you were a co-owner of ?
Maybe they thought shill bidding of some sort.

Shill bidding on an auction you don't profit from would be interesting - unless the name was renewed... ah, I gets it. :xf.love:

•••

I believe more auctioned premium .us domains just got renewed yesterday. I'm not going to mention specific names just yet because sometimes Godaddy updates the year on won auctions, sometimes not.

Yeah, I had an auction win renewed yesterday.
It was one that sold for around $300.

All those domains that closed on 5/28 will be ready on 6/5, but even then, I would keep mum because Godaddy has a 30-day clawback policy. In other words, I would keep quiet until 7/5 or later for domains that hit your account on 6/5.

I have never heard of GoDaddy "clawing" back a domain name.

I had a situation last year where I won a .US then was sent a relatively threatening email from the original registrant "insisting" that I push the domain back to their account and ask GoDaddy for a refund.

I forwarded the email to my GD Account Exec and GD Legal Department and they took care of it. I still own the domain.

I am not sure what scenario a clawback scenario would apply to.

Brad

•••
I think Ms.Domainer was making a blanket cautionary suggestion, you never know. I have not seen it happen with GO Daddy but I have with Enom, where one guy regged pets.tv sold to member here Fleaking and Enom took the name from Fleaking and gave to Byron Allen and his Entertainment Studios ES.tv its now a tv show on my Comcast cable.

Yes, simply a cautionary warning.

I often wonder that if a "major" customer whines enough, these registrars will do whatever they feel like doing and clawback anything they want.

After all, how would we prove the reason?

Godaddy has a history of flouting ICANN rules and making up others...

One member here did experience Godaddy's clawback on an auction win after the domain hit his/her account, but I don't know why.

Maybe it was a TM or something or maybe it was nothing at all.

Last edited:
•••
All those domains that closed on 5/28 will be ready on 6/5, but even then, I would keep mum because Godaddy has a 30-day clawback policy.

On what basis? Where?

After this period the name has been deleted (day 12).. finished the 30 day redemption grace period.. the original registrant technically has no rights of ownership. YOU have paid for the renewal.

If a registrar were to take back that name they would essentially be stealing the name.

There is a clear 30 day REGISTRATION agreement but I've never read anything on a RENEWAL.

What is this 30 day clawback?

//Note this is different to NameJet where the name is transferred prior to the end of the RGP.

I did look at the example in the other thread but when someone complains without mentioning names or details I usually chalk it up to their misunderstanding or something other than what is reported... for example, it's not an expiring sale it's a private sale and with some other circumstance conveniently not mentioned. Everyone Lies.

•••

It would be interesting if a Godaddy rep (one high up on the food chain) would jump on this thread and address some of these issues.

However, I doubt if they will.

Also, since we're parsing GD TOS, here's an interesting bit (under #4, General Rules of Conduct), stipulating a reason (among other reasons) for suspending one's Godaddy account:

...Promotes, encourages or engages in hate speech, hate crime, terrorism, violence against people, animals, or property, or intolerance of or against any protected class...

Hmmm, does that mean Bob Parsons ought to be suspended, or are not elephants a protected class?

•••
transaction complete!

CoffeeBeans.us is all mine!

Congrats!

Welcome to .US. & You think .TV is full of wackos :notme: (just stay away from .me for a while).

•••
Your offer will have an amount of time its good for (your obligated to purchase if he/she accepts) This time is the key, not the "x number of days sale listing" as its not an auction hammer date, just a roll over time period. Check to see if your offer is still active. Odds are your so under what they want they dont even want to communicate with you. There a small chance there on vacation or someting.

•••

Even with first names, I would be careful HOW I would use it.

You MIGHT have some issues if you set up an Angelina Jolie site (with ads) on Angelina.com.

Same with my first name "Jennifer"; I can use it for my personal site (with ads), BUT if I start showing Jennifer Furniture ads, I might have a problem.

•••
the reason I asked, is that if you can use other nameservers, then you can fully use the domain.

in that case, it might just be their DNS system that is not available to you.

•••
  • The sidebar remains visible by scrolling at a speed relative to the page’s height.
Back