Domain Empire

Zip Code Domains - Numerical

Spaceship Spaceship
Watch
Impact
What is everyone's Ideas about reg'n the actual Numerical Zip Code Domains ?

1) There aren't any/many Towns/Cities left in .com -

2) .US Reserved all #'s in zip and phone ranges -

3) How many times is YOUR Zip typed in a browser/box - ?

4) - Lets Build the Ultimate Local Search - ... lol ....

Thanks for Your Comments -

:-/

•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
Interesting news story related to this thread:
http://publications.mediapost.com/index.cfm?fuseaction=Articles.san&s=32993&Nid=14862&p=297336

Marchex (which looks very similar to ultsearch) has grabbed up 1000's of zip code domain names.

In fact, when this thread first started, I grabbed my local zip code domain names (and didn't grab a few outlying cities because I didn't know if I would have the time to develop them.

Well, when I check the registration now, all the .net versions of my .coms are registered to marchex/ultsearch (under a whois privacy protection registration) and all the ones I didn't register are registered to them as well.

It looks like they used some type of script to generate a lot of popular zip codes and then registered the .com and .net net versions of them all. They must have bought 90210.com off of a previous owner.

•••
and people thought I was crazy a few years back ;) .... - Well I am :guilty: - But thats beside the point :blink: lol

Nice article :tu:

•••
Not sure how well zip codes would do. I've never even thought about typing mine into a search and I would imagine I do hundreds more searches a day than your average internet user. I started out my local guide with and my area code a few years back. It did well but then I stated acquiring keyword domains. They seem to be doing much better than it and they are only redirects.

I think if I had the dough they had I would use it to try and acumulate area codes instead of zipcodes. There has to be tens of thousands of zip codes and less than a thousand area codes for the us.

Last edited:
•••
The thing I like about zip codes is that it is VERY easy to brand.

In the US, of the top number you have memorized at the top of your head, your phone number, and mailing address (including zip code) are definitely in the top 5.

A well done local portal could do well with a zip code domain name.

•••
rb said:
The thing I like about zip codes is that it is VERY easy to brand.

In the US, of the top number you have memorized at the top of your head, your phone number, and mailing address (including zip code) are definitely in the top 5.

A well done local portal could do well with a zip code domain name.

My zip code points to a search page in both .net and .com, but it's generic and nothing local like you would think might be successful on a small village zip code.

•••
Zips are real

I have registered a a double digit percentage of the United States population under zip code .coms and believe that this is a very viable business. There are about 43,000 zip codes in the United States and Machex has purchased over 78% of them. Check out www.90210.com to see what they are doing.

•••
I have no idea why but Chinese people love number only domain names. If you look at the top 100 sites on Alexa, 3 of them are 3 digit .COM domains and are chinese sites. I think that you will find that the NNNNN.com domains may end up more attractive to Chinese people than people who live in that zip code area. This means that there is two good potential markets for a zip code domain.

I'm guessing that the appeal of a number based domain name has something to do with Chinese people loving their own form of letters and being more accepting of numbers. Does anyone know why chinese people like numbers?

•••
Would Real Estate agents like the zip code idea? When people are shopping for a home, they may have a few zip code in mind. Or may be school district names are better idea for home buying info.

•••
Hmmm - this thread is now 16 months old - lol .... But I still own some zips - and a lot of Big Players have picked up tons of them ..... ;)

I still think folks would be surprised at how a nice local portal for their community will be accepted ;)

•••
I think the reason of numbers are favored is communication. When you communicate in English, you spell the word with characters. When you communicate in Chinese, you can not spell it and type it in as easily done in english. So people use the numbers that sound like other good words. This number is better in communication, also it shows how "clever" the domain is (you never associate the number 8 as "father" in english etc).

VURG said:
I have no idea why but Chinese people love number only domain names. If you look at the top 100 sites on Alexa, 3 of them are 3 digit .COM domains and are chinese sites. I think that you will find that the NNNNN.com domains may end up more attractive to Chinese people than people who live in that zip code area. This means that there is two good potential markets for a zip code domain.

I'm guessing that the appeal of a number based domain name has something to do with Chinese people loving their own form of letters and being more accepting of numbers. Does anyone know why chinese people like numbers?

•••
Yeah, unless you own a famous one, like 90210 <rolls eyes> I don't see the value in owning one. I mean I know I've never typed one in and I can't imagine why anyone else would either.

Siobhán

•••
This is very weird. Thanks for sharing!

•••
  • The sidebar remains visible by scrolling at a speed relative to the page’s height.
Back