Domain Empire

Zip Codes ?

NameSilo
Watch
Impact
Okay - I've brung this up before .... I registered some zip codes in .com version as local search and weather portals and have had some do alright (PR5 etc ... Sites That pay for themselves easily) -

I grabbed the matching .Info's just because - Well you know ! -

and I knew that certain extensions were reserving :
Phone #'s and prefixes / Area Codes
and even .Ws and .Us was reserving the Zips in the beginning .....

I'm suddenly noticing that the .Net Versions of all Zips I'm checking are either reg'd or reserved ?????????? Seems to have private whois ????

Does anyone know anything about this ? - What versions are available on your U.S. Zip code ?

EDIT : Omg ~ A lot of the local zips in my area are now gone in the .com version as well !!!

As many peeps are in this forum - We could have registered 25 zip info's in each of our areas and built one of the largest portals in the US !!!!

Last edited:
•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
i think you are starting to notice things that are about to be prevelant in the future
it should be a hushhhhhh word though because us regular domainers who own a measly 100 or so domains are not suppose to know about this yet

•••
Well even though I was told before in another forum that this was a bad idea - Go to Ovt and see how many searches are done for individual zip codes ... especially in metropolitan areas ...... And with a little PR - it is not that hard to rank in the results for a 5 digit #

Maybe we should start building a portal with .Info's - lol

•••
well zip codes are everywhere for data , buy gas it ask for your zip code not your name when u use credit, go to stores they ask for codes,
this filing system is not everyday people {so you wont get searches} ,
its computer code , numbers in its basic form ....

•••
all4cost said:
Maybe we should start building a portal with .Info's - lol

well if you do that ten years from now you wont be rolling like a little monkey you will be barking like a big dog ,, and thats a big mess or should i say trap

•••
What does that mean Harpo? DO you like the idea ?

•••
I don't know why zip codes are being registered, maybe because people think they'll earn alot by parking it. The .com, .net, .org, and even the .info domain of my zip code is registered. The .com is parked and the .net and .org domains of my zip code bring up error pages. :|

•••
As far as I know (Please correct me if I'm wrong) only .us and .ws were actually reserving these ... SO ... I'm thinking some peeps are doing some big time investing .... About 6-7 months ago I was looking into this idea (Too Rich for me personally to handle - But I've written Business Plans for Crazier ideas - lol) And there weren't but a handful of 5 Number # (Zip Form) .com's out there -

Maybe we'll see who's doing the dirty soon enough ~

•••
in the .us ccTLD, numbers of the form #####.us and #####-#### are all reserved for future use. Might be okay for doing a localized forum or business directory, but it would be near impossible to accumulate enough for a real state or country directory.

•••
I think .cc has reserved some as well.. I typed in 90210.cc and it says it's an invalid domain, not that it's taken.

I do think zip's are a worthwhile domain if you can get them...

all4cost said:
As far as I know (Please correct me if I'm wrong) only .us and .ws were actually reserving these ... SO ... I'm thinking some peeps are doing some big time investing .... About 6-7 months ago I was looking into this idea (Too Rich for me personally to handle - But I've written Business Plans for Crazier ideas - lol) And there weren't but a handful of 5 Number # (Zip Form) .com's out there -

Maybe we'll see who's doing the dirty soon enough ~

•••
well a zip code domain? whats the point mine would be like 94558.com ;\

•••
•••
Extremely targeted advertising, for one...

Dwayne said:

•••
Dwayne said:

As stated above - Extremely targeted traffic ~

Imagine if you owned 94558.com for a second ......

How many folks are within it ?

Zip Code 94558
City Name Napa
State California CA
Area Code 707
County Name Napa
County FIPS Code 055
Timezone 8
Day Light Saving Y
Latitude 2
Longitude -122.21784
Elevation 17
MSA 7362
PMSA 8720
CBSA 34900
CBSA Division
Population 63,932

OK - Assuming you could Give away FREE Email/Fax Services/Weather to all those folks for free ???? Starting to see my point ??? Imagine giving away Free Email to P.O. Box Holders alone !!! Your Email address could be :

POBOXXXXX "@" 94558 or their personal name .... You are collecting information as You Go !!!

Assuming 0.004 Per Unique Impression (Banners/PPC/Parking etc...)
and 1,000 Visitors a day ---- May be inflated a bit But not hard if you Try and just an Example .....

1,000 Returning visitors a day = 4.00 $ *(x Times) 365 Days = 1,460 $ Per Year - Not to mention - if you get it listed right .... LOCAL ADVERTISERS !!!

Just Something I've pondered :-/ :notme:

•••
I'll try 93063 (where I used to live) and 32746 (where I live now) But 32746 is spred over 2 cities.

Nope, just .biz .info .org and .tv.

•••
Don't pass up .info for your zip.. it's perfect for it!

Qwert said:
I'll try 93063 (where I used to live) and 32746 (where I live now) But 32746 is spred over 2 cities.

Nope, just .biz .info .org and .tv.

•••
Exactly... pennies from heaven, if you ask me!

Not to mention.. think of the potential endusers you could approach: shipping services, moving companies, directory services.. zips are a potential gold mine!

all4cost said:

Zip Code 94558
City Name Napa
State California CA
Area Code 707
County Name Napa
County FIPS Code 055
Timezone 8
Day Light Saving Y
Latitude 2
Longitude -122.21784
Elevation 17
MSA 7362
PMSA 8720
CBSA 34900
CBSA Division
Population 63,932

OK - Assuming you could Give away FREE Email/Fax Services/Weather to all those folks for free ???? Starting to see my point ??? Imagine giving away Free Email to P.O. Box Holders alone !!! Your Email address could be :

POBOXXXXX "@" 94558 or their personal name .... You are collecting information as You Go !!!

Assuming 0.004 Per Unique Impression (Banners/PPC/Parking etc...)
and 1,000 Visitors a day ---- May be inflated a bit But not hard if you Try and just an Example .....

1,000 Returning visitors a day = 4.00 $ *(x Times) 365 Days = 1,460 $ Per Year - Not to mention - if you get it listed right .... LOCAL ADVERTISERS !!!

Just Something I've pondered :-/ :notme:

•••
well 94558.info is taken.. only ones left:

94558.biz
94558.org
94558.tv
94558.bz
94558.com.cn
94558.cn
94558.net.cn
94558.org.cn

•••
ORG would be my next choice... then BIZ as a very last resort

Dwayne said:
well 94558.info is taken.. only ones left:

94558.biz
94558.org
94558.tv
94558.bz
94558.com.cn
94558.cn
94558.net.cn
94558.org.cn

•••
all4cost said:

Zip Code 94558
City Name Napa
State California CA
Population 63,932

I wouldn't develop under a ZIP code domain. Problem is that they are TOO specific. Like your example of Napa, CA -- there are actually three different ZIP codes that cover the city of Napa: 94558, 94559, and 94581. Marketing a portal as 94558.com could alienate neighbors who don't fall under that specifc area, not to mention people who live in surrounding cities. As cities grow, more ZIP codes are added. You would end up having to register a lot of ZIP codes to do it seriously, don't you think?

Better alternatives would be domains like DiscoverNapa.com, NapaLocals.com, Napa.info or even AllAboutNapa.com. There's lots of domain possibilities that could include an entire community and be easier to remember.

Someone registered my ZIP code .com last week! :D

•••
-RJ- said:
Better alternatives would be domains like DiscoverNapa.com, NapaLocals.com, Napa.info or even AllAboutNapa.com. There's lots of domain possibilities that could include an entire community and be easier to remember.

question, if i do decide to register one of the domains, how would i set it up? because i'm not very creative.. -RJ- have you been to napa a few times?

•••
Dwayne said:
-RJ- said:

question, if i do decide to register one of the domains, how would i set it up? because i'm not very creative.. -RJ- have you been to napa a few times?

Sure, I've been to Napa many, many times.

How would you go about creating a local portal? Probably find a good content management system (CMS script) and go about writing and publishing local information. Find and post links to local businesses, etc. I've never built a local portal myself, but would like to someday.

If you don't consider yourself creative, look at local portals of other communities and see what they've done.

•••
where can i find some? and a content management system script?

•••
•••
thank you Grrilla, i'll check it out :)

•••
  • The sidebar remains visible by scrolling at a speed relative to the page’s height.
Back