IT.COM

discuss Your new gTLD - Investment or just novelty gadgets

Spaceship Spaceship
Watch
For people who buy new extensions:

Do you only buy them as an investment or do you also get some because they look cool (you don't plan to sell or develop)
Will you drop them next year or keep them just for s**st and giggles?

•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
Just an opinion, but I would hesitate to use the word/label "Investment" in this context.
It may be just semantics but I would put most purchases as "Speculation(s)". You purchases something (especially something with no track record) with the HOPE that it will increase in value to such a point that you can sell and profit. You are taking two gambles here... 1) that it will increase in value, 2) that someone will be willing to purchase it from you.
These have no proven sales records in which to make an educated guess from, so I submit to change your question into:

"Do you only buy them as a speculation or do you also get some because they look cool"

At which point in time, I would answer... all of my purchases in the nTLDs have been speculative to date.
I am personally avoiding hacks and personal nTLD purchases at the moment because they are speculative in nature.

•••
For people who buy new extensions:

Do you only buy them as an investment or do you also get some because they look cool (you don't plan to sell or develop)
They look cool...

•••
•••
I "invest" in ntlds because I plan to develop some, and others I hope to sell. Yes, I'd say that its a gamble, but so is anything that is new. There isn't a business, product, service, or extension "in this case," that wasn't new at some point.

I think what's truly important, is making a wise choice when deciding how much you can afford to spend on these nTLDs and how much you can afford to lose. Because lets face it, they won't all be winners. IMO

To answer you question about dropping them, I plan on dropping the ones that don't make sense. Some would argue that none of them do, but that simply isn't true.

•••
  • The sidebar remains visible by scrolling at a speed relative to the page’s height.
Back