IT.COM

Your advice on Hosting etc.

Spaceship Spaceship
Watch
Impact
Hello dear members,

I am investing money into 5 social network sites and I need help from my fellow Namepros.

At the begenning of April I will give you all the addresses .

About traffic/members, (strategies I learnt from here are inplace to introduce the sites to the world. Thanks.) let say it is 4,000 a day and up for each site.

1. My plan is to host the 5 sites in one IP.

a. What is your advice?

b. What kind of server do you recommend?

2. Security of the site

a. What are the best measures to secure the site?

b. What size of SSL and price will be good?

3. Terms/Policy/Intellectual right policy.

a. Anybody knows a good Lawyer to write them for me OR if I can find written one online.

4. Plans are in progress to trademark the names and form LLC company.

a. Any suggestion?

5. Ads.

a. What is your best suggestion to monitalize ( I have google and adbrite accounts) it with ads?

Please feel free to offer any suggestion to help. I promise I will not be offended with what my friends says to direct my steps before the web builder finishes the sites.

Thanks and I will respond apprioprately.

•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
1. I'd take a dedicated server, although you might not need one right from the start. Check SoftLayer or ThePlanet.

5. Don't put ads on it from the very beginning. Start off "dry", get regular members, popularize the sites -- and then monetize them.

•••
I most definately recommend a server with softlayer, they are high quality and extremely helpful. You will need good uptime, and they provide it.

I would recommend forced sal for registration - a plain 128 bit ssl cert will do.

For legal and security advice, consult a professional.

•••
princedomain said:
Hello dear members,

I am investing money into 5 social network sites and I need help from my fellow Namepros.

At the begenning of April I will give you all the addresses .

About traffic/members, (strategies I learnt from here are inplace to introduce the sites to the world. Thanks.) let say it is 4,000 a day and up for each site.

1. My plan is to host the 5 sites in one IP.

a. What is your advice?
You dont need a dedicated ip. A shared host would be fine for 5 websites. Once you establish them move to a vps. I'd look for a host that offers both shared and vps because then when your ready they should be more then happy to help you move.
b. What kind of server do you recommend?

2. Security of the site

a. What are the best measures to secure the site?
Choose a strong password. Make sure you code your site to industry standards. Make sure your coder knows what hes doing.
b. What size of SSL and price will be good?
SSl doesn't really protect your site as much as you think it does. IT does require a dedicated ip but I dont see why you would need it for a social networking site.
3. Terms/Policy/Intellectual right policy.

a. Anybody knows a good Lawyer to write them for me OR if I can find written one online.

4. Plans are in progress to trademark the names and form LLC company.

a. Any suggestion?
There are various members that can help you better then I can on this subject matter. There are also various companies that can help you much cheaper online then paying for an attorney. I suggest you look at serrvices like legal zoom. I haven't used them personaly but I've heard good things about them.
5. Ads.

a. What is your best suggestion to monitalize ( I have google and adbrite accounts) it with ads?
Don't start off trying to make money. Try and make a good site with a unique service features design ect. Once you get members slowly add ads ect. Do not do popups although they pay more then really annoy the end user and you will not get repeat traffic.

Please feel free to offer any suggestion to help. I promise I will not be offended with what my friends says to direct my steps before the web builder finishes the sites.

Thanks and I will respond apprioprately.
Have fun. Think about what you would like to see in a site. Make improvements and most importantly have fun and be creative. Don't be affraid of taking risks.

•••
Ummm.....why would he need a server for something he is just starting out, that is bad advice. Do yourself a favor and start out on a good shared host like www.medialayer.com and invest the capital you would have put in a dedicated server into your sites. When your site grows big enough then move up to a vps and then a dedicated server.

•••
I believe that all that you need is decent shared web hosting account with multiply IPs.
That's all

•••
Just FYI: with brand new web site you will never be able to monetize the ads. After launching web site you will need to make lots of efforts to make that much more popular.

•••
Thanks all. Your wise words are well taken. Thanks again and I welcome more of your directions.

•••
It was interesting to read your thoughts of that.

•••
What kind of server do you recommend?
i recommend you to go with shared hosting , then upgrade to Reseller or VPS , and then after that upgrade to Dedicated server , in this way to save your money

you can get Good Reseller or VPS for about $20-$30 /Mo
ad for dedicated IP, you can get one by only $1-$3 per month,just ask your hosting provider and pay the fees and they will assign it for you,

•••
What kind of server do you recommend?

I would recommend to start from VPS, because any shared site has tight resource limitations. Then it is possible to upgrade to a dedicated server... So choose the company which offers both kinds, to make the upgrade painless. One of such hosts is serverpoint.com which is very much reliable provider.

•••
Not necessarily dear Policemen, only over sold shared hosting environment will have huge problem.

Taking a plan with the new entrant based on their DC is the best idea. Since they are a startup service will be good, servers may not be loaded heavily.

Have a look in to where your hosting provider is http://hexablogs.com/?p=6
A simple network look up will make you understand where the servers are.

•••
You'd better widen your search and you will find the most appropriate place to host your web sites. Have a look at a2hosting.com, datapowerhost.com and hqhost.net - these companies are flexible and will offer you the configuration you need. Having chosen the company, contact their support and ask about the hosting solution you need telling them your requirements.

•••
kumarsaran I suppose that you are not allowed to do that (recommend yourself) in the general web hosting forums on the namepros. You'd rather stop such activity

•••
The start for five sites could be good from either resourceful shared hosting plans, like is offere by routhost.com, etc. Or, also good, but costlier, but more secure, VPS can be. The quality VPS, from own experience are offered by webhostingbuzz.com.

About TOS: the clearer they are the less problems they could summon, perfectly I would bnot need a lawyer for correct understanding. Try looking up the tos of the companies I named, they do not seem to be complicated ещщ much.

•••
  • The sidebar remains visible by scrolling at a speed relative to the page’s height.
Back