Dynadot

discuss You HAVE to Read this Insane UDRP Decision

Spaceship Spaceship
Watch
Impact
John J. Upchurch as Panelist.

https://domaingang.com/domain-law/b...owner-wanted-500000-dollars-got-udrp-instead/

This UDRP is the definition of insanity, as in order for this ruling to be valid, the respondent would need to own a time machine (Bulu.com registered by the Respondent in 2002, the Bulu Box company only existed circa 2012, the Bulu TM in 2018), as well the other rationales and assertions for meeting the 3 criteria are just as crazy.

For example, the Complainant initiated a sales discussion and made an offer first, but then later in the UDRP, Upchurch states that "the Panel uses Respondent’s offering of the domain name for sale directly to the Complainant as evidence of bad faith Policy". Uh no, that's not what that happened and it's not what the case precedent means.

Furthermore, the panelist writes "Further, Complainant contends that Respondent has registered over 7,000 domain names and the record is void of evidence of good-faith... Accordingly, the Panel agrees and finds that Respondent registered the <bulu.com> domain name in bad faith based on Respondent’s prior history of registering confusingly similar domain names."

So if you own a lot of domains, you'll automatically lose the UDRP? Interesting take on the process.

It just gets better and better the more you read, and this is truly "The Room" of UDRPs here. By the end I was really starting to wonder if Mr Upchurch had any previous experience in the UDRP process and was possibly being led up the garden path by a devious Complainant?

Certainly, having a lawyer present might have helped the Respondent, but there have been many similar UDRPs that were quickly nipped in the bud by the inalienable fact that a domain registered by the respondent prior to the existence of the Complainant's company and its TM makes the UDRP automatically invalid, and very likely render a finding of RDNH.

Maybe by using the reality of time and space, the Respondent didn't even think he would need to fight this? It's just basic math and the fact that a time machine would be required to find in favor of the Complainant.

Last edited:
•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
this alone is just untrue:

"3. Respondent registered and uses the <bulu.com> domain name in bad faith. Respondent clearly registered the domain name to sell the domain name to Complainant"

how could he have regged it to sell it to their company.. which probably didn't even exist back then? hmmm...

that being said, if this was me in his shoes.. with this name... I would set my price much lower. something 5 figures.

•••
I think the panelist has been watching Back to the Future too many times.

Seriously, domain registered by Respondent in 2002 (that is not disputed in the UDRP), the company commences operations in 2012, and gets a BULU TM in 2018.

Do the math and fire up the DeLorean!.

•••
Absurd decision. This is theft.

Brad

•••
If you don't have a lawyer to back you up this is what happens.

it sucks

•••
If having a lot of domains is bad faith, then there are lots of public corporations in "bad faith."

I will start by naming one: Amazon

Last edited:
•••
If you don't have a lawyer to back you up this is what happens.

Not at all, and I have read many UDRPs exactly like this, where there is no response, and the panelist always respects our laws of time and space, quickly nipping that bud and often finding RDNH. People know that time machines don't exist in our world and can't be used as the basis for a legal finding.

Just because you don't have a lawyer doesn't give a panelist the ability to totally rewrite the laws of physics.

Maybe they should try that in criminal cases, where the accused is born *after* the crime took place, then stick it to him with the same "he used a time machine" rationale?

Last edited:
•••
Not at all, and I have read my UDRPs exactly like this, where there is no response, and the panelist always respects our laws of time and space, quickly nipping that bud and often finding RDNH. People know that time machines don't exist in our world and can't be used as the basis for a legal finding.

Just because you don't have a lawyer doesn't give a panelist the right to totally rewrite the laws of physics.

Maybe they should try that in criminal cases, where the accused is born *after* the crime took place, then stick it to him using the "he used a time machine" rationale?

It doesn't give them the right, I didn't say that.

If you read the full article, he didn't have a lawyer to back him up and he lost the case even if he was right.Thats because of lack of defence on his side.

•••
It doesn't give them the right, I didn't say that.

If you read the full article, he didn't have a lawyer to back him up and he lost the case even if he was right.Thats because of lack of defence on his side.
Anyone with 7000 domains should know the basics of UDRP. It is pretty simple, a lawyer is not a requirement.

•••
Anyone with 7000 domains should know the basics of UDRP. It is pretty simple, a lawyer is not a requirement.

Absolutely it is not a requirement but I think if he had a lawyer, it would have helped him to keep his domain.

•••

I have never seen this type of panelist behavior in such a clear-cut case before, while there are many documented cases where there was no response, yet the panelist still stopped at the first bad faith requirement, and often rendered a finding of RDNH.

Just because you don't have a lawyer, doesn't mean you automatically lose. The panelists usually do their job and make the right decision.

•••
Absolutely it is not a requirement but I think if he had a lawyer, it would have helped him to keep his domain.

You don't know that, and many rogue decisions have been made with a respondent's lawyer present.

If a panelist wants to give your domain away, there is nothing you can do to stop them, even if the evidence is clearly on your side and you have 10 Harvard lawyers.

Last edited:
•••
You don't know that, and many rogue decisions have been made with a respondent's lawyer present.

If a panelist wants to give your domain away, there is nothing you can do to stop them, even if the evidence is clearly on your side.
Yes, many times even the best lawyer can lose against this type of bias.

•••
Awful decision. Daylight robbery.

If the owner is on here, know that you can still get this decision overturned! Don't let them win!

•••

If a panelist wants to give your domain away, there is nothing you can do to stop them, even if the evidence is clearly on your side and you have 10 Harvard lawyers.

I don't have much experience about UDRP cases cause I try to stay away from trademarked names.

You seem to know more than I do, thanks for explanation.

•••
Yes, many times even the best lawyer can lose against this type of bias.

Exactly, and while I do think he should have at least responded with a legal brief, you just can't fall into the easy trap of "Oh, he didn't hire a lawyer, what a moron, that's why he lost", because that's not what is usually going on.

Look at all the UDRPs that were argued with lawyers, resulting in a rogue decision that didn't support the evidence, and were later overturned in a real court. Who is to say that wouldn't have happened here?

•••
Exactly, and while I do think he should have at least responded with a legal brief, you just can't fall into the easy trap of "Oh, he didn't hire a lawyer, what a moron, that's why he lost", because that's not what is usually going on.

Look at all the UDRPs that were argued with lawyers, resulting in a rogue decision that didn't support the evidence, and were later overturned in a real court. Who is to say that wouldn't have happened here?
Be careful while you are quoting me, I didn't use those words.

•••
I don't have much experience about UDRP cases cause I try to stay away from trademarked names.

So did the Respondent in this case, remember that.

If in 15-20 years, a company retroactively TMs some of your currently-held domains, then launches a UDRP, then you'll be in the exact same position.

•••
Be careful while you are quoting me, I didn't use those words.

I am not quoting you and that was part of my text with no attribution whatsoever.

•••
So did the Respondent in this case, remember that.

If in 15-20 years, a company retroactively TMs some of your currently-held domains, then launches a UDRP, then you'll be in the exact same position.

No I wouldn't, I would hire a lawyer.. :xf.smile:

We both don't know if a lawyer would be helpful or not since he didn't have one in this case.

•••

I agree, I defended a domain against one of the largest law firms in the world. You either have a case or you don't. No lawyer can change that.

In this case a lawyer wouldn't have helped due to the bias, IMO.

•••
I agree, I defended a domain against one of the largest law firms in the world. You either have a case or you don't. No lawyer can change that.

In this case a lawyer wouldn't have helped due to the bias, IMO.

If you have a lawyer to back you up, at least you have tried.

But if you think that the panelist wants to give your domain away, and do nothing about it than you will loose your domain.

I would prefer to have a lawyer to back me up no matter the final decision would be...

I would say at least I've tried my best to keep it.

Last edited:
•••
If the owner is on here, know that you can still get this decision overturned! Don't let them win!

While I assume a company this prevalent is going to fight this rogue UDRP decision, if anyone has personal contact with the owner, please let them know.

Holidays get taken, email snafus occur, and other "stuff" happens and I wouldn't be surprised if the documents never reached them.

•••
I would prefer to have a lawyer to back me up no matter the final decision would be...

Agreed, but you know the old saying that "you can't fight city hall"?

Well, you can't.

•••
until you guys accept that these panelist are often bribed to oversee such cases, the better for everyone.

•••
  • The sidebar remains visible by scrolling at a speed relative to the page’s height.
Back