Dynadot

You guys overrate the appraisals...

Spaceship Spaceship
Watch

Supra LTD

Account Suspended
Impact
Hey,

I am just wondering what's up with the ratings around here? For almost every domain name there is posted on the appraisals forum, the reply is low $XXX.

Cmon guys, I've been hearing this for a while for almost every domain, then most owners of these domains can't even sell it at the cost of the registration fee!!!!!! Don't you all think you overrate in the appraisals forums? I hear high $xx low-mid $xxx, yet, when I see the domain for sale, it doesn't go higher than 30 bucks, atleast for most of them...

I think the whole domain game is overhyped. Unless you registered a domain in 1993 like games.com or money.com, then there is no way it will go in the high $xxx or low $xxxx regions.

•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
Supra, actually the Namepros appraisals are much lower then most ones from "Real Appraisal Sites" and many other forums.

Keep in mind most appraisals that are higher, are directed at End-user sales.

•••
I try and stay away from the appraisals because it is something not "easily" quantifiable.

•••
But, how can a bunch of people give an appraisal from their head? I mean...yea there is a significant difference between download.com and download.org.co.uk or something but how can you even target End-user sales? And what end-user would buy it? Tell me, who would buy all these domaisn for high $xxx. Don't say end-users or retailers, give me names. I want names. Nobody will ever buy it. Cmon, name some domains that were bought by these "END-Users" for alot of money and that ended in .nu or .ws or .tv...I would just like to know...this is just my opinion.

•••
•••
Supra why dont you visit some other sites like greatdomains.com or sim. Their prices listed are nothing else than appraisals, too. Ppl on this forum are givin you/us their opinion what they think how much you could sell the domain for they don't make money with the appraisals, they/we didn't attent any domain appraisal classes, they/we don't have a certificate they/we are just HELPIN you and me by giving us their opinion.

But thenk you for sharing your opinion with us,

Adi

•••
Right, we need appraisers and then a person to actually sell the domain and tell us how much it sold for...then we would know...but where the hell your gonna sell a domain like downloads.nu (just an example) for high $xxx like the new guy posted on the appraisals forums? Cmon, find an end-user, a business, something that would want to buy that. What person with the ammount of $xxx will buy you an .nu domain? If anything it's .com.

Adi, your right, it's help, I am just saying...it's overrated help. I love this place, I post everyday here and I registered a few days ago, I am just giving opinion.

•••
ppl. who do business in nu will buy it :) the same thing with "co.ba" does it say anything to you...well to 99% of you it doesn't say anything but ppl are making money with it.....here at this forum no sure not but somwere else in bosnia :)

Supra,

yes and i personaly appreciate every opinion trust me. I like when ppl tell me my domain is worth $1 and i like when they tell me it's worth $100 i like to see that ppl are responding and talking about it.

By the way welcome :)

•••
Yea, but your chances of selling that to an end-user would be .001 %. That's why it's overrated.

•••
Well there are ppl who know how to sell it to the end user and there is me :)

•••
see, IMO most domains ARE appraised lower than what they're sold for.
Also, most of the domains are not appraised for XXX.... more like reg fee.
And, the way ppl can give appraisals is because they have some experience selling and buying domains, thus have a remote idea of their value.
Same thing with antiques.. if you've been doing it for a while, you get an idea on what's worth what.

•••
well, supra, every single domain i've EVER sold (about 400-500) I have sold for MORE than the majority of namepros appraisers (sp?) i get. that's pretty indicative of something.... when I get an appraisal here it's generally to give myself an idea of the absolute minimum I would take for the domain.
I think the appraisals here rock ompared to other forums.... there's this other forum that I won't mention by name for fear that they'll ban me from theirs :) that has a huge problem with undervaluing domains (my guess is in order to try to procure good domains cheaply by lying to you)...had the MODERATOR of the appraisal forum tell me that a domain was worth less than reg fee...and then I sold it for $500.....
So, namepros appraisals are in general - honest, courteous, more or less in the realm of what the domain is worth, and I would say... fairly stingy in terms of appraising value.

•••
Ok, so what are ALL THE SINGLE DOMAINS you've EVER sold 400-500. Name some of them and tell me who bought them, johnny6. I think you just overrated yourself...

•••
The value of a name is the price it is purchased at. Period.
Appraisals only are indicative of what one individual believes a value of a name to be and is not an exact science, although comparisons can (and should) be made w/ prices and stats of other similar names that have recently sold. It is particularly difficult to find comparisons for names in new or evolving markets, so, for the most part, their valuations can only be conjecture and often may be inflated. Additionally, all appraisers do not have equal experience, and therefore it is a given that a percentage of the appraisals will be out of line in either direction.
The appraisal board is a free service that can give an individual a rough estimate of what a name might sell for, particularly when giving a retail/end user price. Because Spamzilla sold for $xx,xxx to an enduser, does that mean that snipezilla.com will sell in that ballpark. Who knows? Appraisals are not going to give me the exact price for what the name wil sell for. However, someone may point out what Spamzilla sold for, have the opinion that Snipezilla doesn't compare, reference another similar sale, post some OV stats for snipe and SPAM, have an idea or relevant link for me to follow up and in short give me some perspective to operate from. An appraisal forum, at best, can only provide a guideline for pricing, but also has several additional benefits to help members get on (or stay on) track.

•••
Another sale testimonial:

MusicValet.com was not one of my best domains, and was appraised as such by NPers at less than reg fee, which was $9.99. I sold it upon the first offer I ever got on it, which was $250.00.

I think domains are worth whatever someone who wants it is willing to pay for it. Sometimes you get lucky, and sometimes you have to sell for whatever you can get in order to buy more, and hopefully better domains.

***Just my 2-cents worth

•••
I don't know where you are reading that most get appraised for $xxx. Most are low $xx or reg fee. I base my appraisals on what similar names have sold for on this and other forums.

Absolutely nobody can accurately predict what a name is going to sell for 100% of the time (or even 25% of the time for that matter).

It's nice to hear what other members have to say about your name. I'm sure some are even lowball appraisals, hoping that you put a low price on the name and they scoop it up (I believe that this is the exception, not the rule).

I guess what I am trying to say is, take each appraisal for what it is worth: somebody taking the time to offer you their opinion on your name. You can agree or disagree.

Happy domaining,
ST

•••
Originally posted by Supra LTD
...but where the hell your gonna sell a domain like downloads.nu (just an example) for high $xxx like the new guy posted on the appraisals forums?

I haven't been called a new guy in ages! Thanks for making me feel young again, Supra. :p

When I make my appraisals, and I believe a lot of others here do as well, I usually quote both wholesale and retail prices. Wholesale is what I would be willing to pay for the name assuming I had need for the name at that time, while retail is the price I would target for after doing a thorough research of end-user candidates.

Now as to your question of 'who's buying?', now that's the key isn't it? The answer to that will not be handed to you on a silver platter. You have to work long and hard, with no small amount of creativity, to find real end-users who are likely to have high interest in your domain.

The large gap between retail and wholesale represents the cost of my time and skill used to find end-users. A lot of domains don't get sold at the end-user level because the owners don't have either time or skill to find end-users.

That said, I agree with the above observations that NP appraisals in general tend to be slightly undervalued, at least for the ones I saw that eventually got sold.

•••
Ok, so what are ALL THE SINGLE DOMAINS you've EVER sold 400-500. Name some of them and tell me who bought them, johnny6. I think you just overrated yourself...

I don't need to prove myself to you.

Thread edited. Sorry, johnny, I know how you feel but rules are rules. - Apollo/armstrong

•••
Re: You guys overrate the appraisals....

Hey,

I think the whole domain game is overhyped. Unless you registered a domain in 1993 like games.com or money.com, then there is no way it will go in the high $xxx or low $xxxx regions.

Hey,

You need to get out there and educate yourself before throwing a temper tantrum here....Go read DNJ Sales column and archives, track sales on Sedo and other such exchanges, and read sellers posting on various forums their sold names and the prices. And, where did you learn that high $xxx to low $xxxx was too much to expect for a domain...:'( Just chill!!

•••
Grrilla is right. (IMO) A domain is worth what it is sold for. Period.
The rest is up to you as a professional to be able to make an evaluation on what you perceive to be the names present and/or future value. And your knowledge takes a lesson with every name you buy & sell.
These forums are rarely where the big money is made. There is however a lot to be learned here & maybe a few adventures to be had.
I have never made a "big deal". I have made many in the $300-$1500 range. There is a lot of excitement when you sell a name you bought for $10 for $1200. And to me it is not the money as much as knowing I made good choices when buying.
(The only problem with that is you have to realize that you are not a GENIUS you just had the right name in the right place at the right time!!) :*) The other 450 names in your portfolio are not all worth $1500.
Just my 6NP$'s worth.

Keep on Keepin' on & Happy trading.
Jim

•••
Right. Its not an exact science, and predicting the future trends is like a myopic man trying to drive without eyeglasses. You see something, but its all fuzzy.

Knowledge of current sales and future trends is critical. Without these, then you are totally blind, instead of just myopic. :)

•••
Appraisal's are something to be done by professionals ( People with considerable experience) . Many times people tell "Regfee ++" "0 to Regfee" etc. But are these true opinions, Yes they are! They are right according to the appraiser, but the person who owns the domain may feel bit pain as he will be keeping high hopes on it ;).
Just as Apollo mentioned in the above posts, it's basically an opinion and nothing else. The actual popularity of the domain depends on what majority of the people are looking for over the web! yes it is true. Say they are keywords for the domain.
I came across an article on what people look for or looking for on the internet. This is bit offtopic here but for one to make more money in domain business, we should know market craze and we should also know the trends.
FYI look at the article below to cool yourself :)
http://searchenginewatch.com/facts/article.php/2156041
I just saved this webpage on my system so that even if the site that published this article goes away, I should not loose this.

Thanks,
Junkie.

•••
Very nice link w/ some useful iresources. Tx for sharing, Junkie.

•••
Most of the domain that i come across in appraisal section does not have any value. So i appraise only a few ;)

•••
I tend to give wholesale/reseller appraisal values as its next to impossible to determine what an end user may be willing to pay for a name.

I've sold a few .ws names in the $xxx range... Twins.ws was one of them.

Mike

•••
  • The sidebar remains visible by scrolling at a speed relative to the page’s height.
Back