Hi all -

Shelled out a few btc today for Yom .com

Thoughts on value and ideas for dev?
Your
Marketplace

Thanks!

Last edited:
•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
YO Market... a place to sell yo names.

Edit: ok, that was bad

Last edited:
•••
Nice domain. Nice job. Can you share any details on the transaction? Did you initiate our simply buy through a marketplace?
I contacted the seller in 2017 and he quoted $1 million. I’ve reached out numerous times over the years with offers. In fact, I offered to pay more in 2018 than we just agreed to. The game changer was that I offered to pay in btc this time.

Price was 5 btc or $45k at the value when sent. My pitch was that btc might be $50k each soon so it was a great deal for him. While I actually believe that, to me the domain has potential to fetch more than $250k so the trade off was worth it.

To give the seller a plug, his site is fumi.com

Last edited:
•••
Wow. $45k. That’s a lot of face masks.

•••
I love it, Keith, Thanks for sharing.

Samer

Last edited:
•••
•••
congrats! Nice domain, lots of potential. :)

•••
thats a cool trick:
buying on the future value of BTC
not selling on the future value of the domain

•••
Sorry I did not know this one can be sold for $10,000.
To me $5,000 is a lot of money.
$5,000 is a lot of money, unless your company wants the best domain and is highly profitable. In that case, the right domain could fetch 7 figures.

•••
I owned around 50 LLL.com and 300 LLL.net and sold most of the .com to Scott Richter back in 2006.

Last edited:
•••
C
I owned around 50 LLL.com and 300 LLL.net and sold most of the .com to Scott Richter back in 2006.
Can I have one for $5000?

•••
While I actually believe that, to me the domain has potential to fetch more than $250k so the trade off was worth it.
I was already saying this exact figure before scrolling to this point. If I own this name, I'm not stepping down lower than $250,000.

•••
Last edited:
•••
I contacted the seller in 2017 and he quoted $1 million. I’ve reached out numerous times over the years with offers. In fact, I offered to pay more in 2018 than we just agreed to. The game changer was that I offered to pay in btc this time.

Price was 5 btc or $45k at the value when sent. My pitch was that btc might be $50k each soon so it was a great deal for him. While I actually believe that, to me the domain has potential to fetch more than $250k so the trade off was worth it.

To give the seller a plug, his site is fumi.com

I knew you meant " Biz " when you said "a few bitcoin" in your OP. Thanks for sharing bit of the story and strategy. I've learned a great deal from you here over the years, and you have giving me so great pointers at times. You truly are a Pro and can't wait to see what you do with this. It takes both wits & guts and put up that kinda loot on something also having the ability to do so is a proven trait of success in itself.

I saw the plugs site was in Chinese, on a negotiations level, assuming English was no barrier?

Congrats again. Knowing how you go about your sales, without a doubt in my mind you're going to set a record with this one.

•••
I knew you meant " Biz " when you said "a few bitcoin" in your OP. Thanks for sharing bit of the story and strategy. I've learned a great deal from you here over the years, and you have giving me so great pointers at times. You truly are a Pro and can't wait to see what you do with this. It takes both wits & guts and put up that kinda loot on something also having the ability to do so is a proven trait of success in itself.

I saw the plugs site was in Chinese, on a negotiations level, assuming English was no barrier?

Congrats again. Knowing how you go about your sales, without a doubt in my mind you're going to set a record with this one.
Very kind words, thanks!

The seller is from China but we communicated just fine, thanks to his good English. We also had years worth of email exchange so I just sent the btc direct and upfront. It’s not something I’d recommend unless you’re prepared to lose the funds.

•••
Nice name Keith. The name is short, brandable, and have endless opportunities.

•••
•••
Great price for a great domain! I think it’s fantastic that you shared the detailed information how you went about to purchase it. Congrats Keith on a great pickup. Well done.

•••
It's brandable name and it could be anything you can imagine of.
Just in case you want to sell there is someone in the wanted to buy section who is willing to pay up to $5,000. Just want to help.

Good luck.

Hahaha(y)

•••
I'm just thinking beyond the initial excitement of seeing a great 3 letter branddable and pronunceable name.
  1. It's a tricky name, if used like YUM(food related)..as most people hearing it will think YUM and search for YUM. It's like YUM's less loved rich brother, that got the lower end of the "will/inheritance" and people who meet YOM, says..hey! you are "YUM's" little brother right? Oh, and you are the cousin of "YAM" right?? It's somewhere between YAM and YUM. That's tricky for radio etc. It's nice for the eyes but tough on the ears.
  2. As a brandable or acronym it has great potential. It always will have liquid value because it's a 3 letter pronunceable name. It can be easily marketed to stand out "YOM", and literally be used for anything. I can picture passing a store in NYC called YOM.
  3. Maybe, Yamaha, Yenko or Yes Motors.

I can see this selling for 5-6 figure.

Other related:

1. Even directly/literally, the word Yom is used in the name of various Jewish feast days; as, Yom Kippur, the Day of Atonement; Yom teruah (lit., day of shouting) the Feast of Trumpets. Yom is also used in each of the days of the week in the Hebrew calendar.

YOM in google is really dominated by YOM Kippur or other things Jewish.
So now the name is battling with YUM, YAM and YOM KIPPUR......

Just thinking beyond my initial excitement.

•••
I'm just thinking beyond the initial excitement of seeing a great 3 letter branddable and pronunceable name.
  1. It's a tricky name, if used like YUM(food related)..as most people hearing it will think YUM and search for YUM. It's like YUM's less loved rich brother, that got the lower end of the "will/inheritance" and people who meet YOM, says..hey! you are "YUM's" little brother right? Oh, and you are the cousin of "YAM" right?? It's somewhere between YAM and YUM. That's tricky for radio etc. It's nice for the eyes but tough on the ears.
  2. As a brandable or acronym it has great potential. It always will have liquid value because it's a 3 letter pronunceable name. It can be easily marketed to stand out "YOM", and literally be used for anything. I can picture passing a store in NYC called YOM.
  3. Maybe, Yamaha, Yenko or Yes Motors.

I can see this selling for 5-6 figure.

Other related:

1. Even directly/literally, the word Yom is used in the name of various Jewish feast days; as, Yom Kippur, the Day of Atonement; Yom teruah (lit., day of shouting) the Feast of Trumpets. Yom is also used in each of the days of the week in the Hebrew calendar.

YOM in google is really dominated by YOM Kippur or other things Jewish.
So now the name is battling with YUM, YAM and YOM KIPPUR......

Just thinking beyond my initial excitement.
Great take away!

Yom Kippur is probably the biggest result via google. I look at the domain as a stand alone premium base for a brand to be built upon.

The biggest factor for me is the sound. Replace the Y with F G H J K L or a few others. It doesn’t roll off the tongue right. The fact that it rhymes with .com and easily comes out of mouth is everything.

Thanks for the detailed feedback!

Btw, yum and yom are like cum and com. Very different lol.

Last edited:
•••
Fantastic name and thanks for telling us about the acquisition. I agree the sound when spoken is fantastic. As ideas expressed already, lots of acronym possibilities, if one goes that way. I like Y as youth, you, your, etc; O as Online; and M as marketplace, meeting, etc. But great brand with or without acronym.
Best wishes,
Bob

•••
from branding perspective, I don't like it when someone says GD for GoDaddy, FB for Facebook, and so on. (Though I may also use the acronym) but, technically and in the long run, it creates confusion.

IMHO don't try to build your domain or brand on acronyms. Let the word YOM do the magic for you.

•••
from branding perspective, I don't like it when someone says GD for GoDaddy, FB for Facebook, and so on. (Though I may also use the acronym) but, technically and in the long run, it creates confusion.

IMHO don't try to build your domain or brand on acronyms. Let the word YOM do the magic for you.
In reality, people use things like fb all the time.
Bc because
Omg oh my god
Bff ...
Fb Facebook
Lol
Yolo
Smh

It really doesn’t matter because whatever way you play it, yom is the top of the top no matter what long version you decide to brand as.

•••
In reality, people use things like fb all the time.
Bc because
Omg oh my god
Bff ...
Fb Facebook
Lol
Yolo
Smh

It really doesn’t matter because whatever way you play it, yom is the top of the top no matter what long version you decide to brand as.

Didnt “Huffington Post” rebrand “HuffPost”?

Not an acronym but the shorter way to say it...

Last edited:
•••
@Keith agree with your comment - at the same time, I think if a word is pronounceable like YOM then there is no need for an acronym. If it was like YMK which is not pronounceable then acronym can be handy.

•••
  • The sidebar remains visible by scrolling at a speed relative to the page’s height.
Back