Domain Empire

Ynet alleges domain name extortion

Spaceship Spaceship
Watch

Cheapquality

Account Suspended
Impact
The Yediot Internet partnership, a subsidiary of the “Yediot Ahronot” Hebrew daily, says that an attempt has been made to extort NIS 100,000 from it in exchange for the whynet.co.il domain. The partnership owns the ynet.co.il Internet site.
Yediot Internet said that it was shocked several days ago to receive an approach from Yitzhak Lieber of Kiryat Bialik, saying, “My name is Yitzhak Lieber. I’m a 27 year-old software engineer, and I bought a certain domain that I think might interest you. The domain is whynet.co.il. I’m sending you this message, because I want to know whether you’re interested in buying the domain, since it is similar to your website.

”You had better hurry and decide, because this message will be sent in the next few days to other potential buyers, such as local newspapers, news sites, and competing newspapers, like “Ma’ariv”. Imagine if “Ma’ariv” buys the domain from me, and refers people from it to its official website. I’m asking NIS 100,000.”

Yediot Internet told a court that Lieber’s approach was definitely attempted extortion and illegitimate. Lieber’s sole aim was to extort money by threatening Yediot Internet with various commercial abuses, including trademark violation, misleading Internet surfers, and deprivation of goodwill, should it fail to yield to his demand.

Yediot Internet also claimed that the respondent had no real and sincere desire to found an Internet site. His sole aim was to create concern that unless Yediot Internet granted his demand for NIS 100,000, he would cause damage to its property by violating its trademark, and by committing other abuses.

Yediot Internet is asking the court for a temporary injunction Lieber from making any dispossession of the whynet.co.il domain name.

•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
  • The sidebar remains visible by scrolling at a speed relative to the page’s height.
Back