Dynadot

new gtlds Yes, people are using new top level domain names

Spaceship Spaceship
Watch

News

Hand-picked NewsTop Member
Impact
It’s no secret that usage of new top level domain names has been far below industry expectations. But that doesn’t mean people aren’t using them and using them in greater numbers.
Most of these people use .com addresses. As an audio conference, I wasn’t surprised to also see some .fm domain names. But there were also new top level domains. I came across both a .online and .life domain name yesterday. ..
Read More

•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
Very light blog post.

He got 50 business cards and "I came across both a .online and .life domain name yesterday."

So he came across 2 out of the 50 that used a new gtld? Watch out now.

While the overall numbers have dropped from 29.4 million to 23.5 million according to - https://ntldstats.com/tld

About a 20% drop from the high.

Last edited:
•••
Yes, I think you need to be careful before making conclusions like the one you made at the end of the post.

This was an interesting casual observation, but doesn't constitute any kind of evidence-based support for the take-up of new gtlds.

•••
•••
Their usage level is ~2.3%
https://domainpunch.com/tlds/topgtlds.php

So even after 3 years since their start - more than 97% prefer traditional TLDs...

Thank you for the link to the really helpful site to see which sites new gTLD sites have significant Alexa ratings. I am a bit surprised that the majority of the 'popular' sites (relative sense) to me at least do not very effectively use the TLD but rather are ugly names with little obvious meaning (somewhat surprised how many .xyz and .gdn are in the list).

Lots of interesting data here for potential analysis. Thanks again.

•••
Some domains in this rating are used just for mass spam purpose or even viruses... that's why their rank is high...

Last edited:
•••
  • The sidebar remains visible by scrolling at a speed relative to the page’s height.
Back