Dynadot

domain yabai.com (equivalent to cool.com in japanese)

Spaceship Spaceship
Watch

international_love

Established Member
Impact
Currently being offered $650 by a Japanese buyer.

Popular and hip word in Japanese, about 37 million direct matches on Google in Japanese.
--

In English, this Japanese keyword shows 470,000 results on Google.
In Japanese hiragana, it shows 20.9 million Google results.
In Japanese katakana, it shows 16.2 million Google results.

•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
•••
Currently being offered $650 by a Japanese buyer.

Popular and hip word in Japanese, about 37 million direct matches on Google in Japanese.
Nice age, regged since '99; taken in some other extensions; some google monthly searches (1300 give or take); connotes a very hip meaning via Japanese slang, kind of like us saying 'sick' for something that's very awesome.
Ideal for branding. There don't appear to be any TM's for it yet - at least with the English spelling - in the western or eastern world. Popular word among contemporary Japanese youth. Personally I'd hang on and wait for a price that reflects the potential of this word. A slang word that really catches on is a potential gold mine, good for TV show titles, movie titles, book titles, and has wide versatility as a website name for practically anything cool in Japan that may want to expand to English speakers.

If I needed cash fast I'd take a grand for it. But only in an emergency. Otherwise I'd hang on to it for better offers. Would probably list it at around 5 - 7K on the marketplace at the moment. That could go up or down depending on whether the word grows or wanes in popularity. Find a Japanese-English forum populated with Japanese youth and ask them exactly how 'cool' of a word this is over there. Do a little more homework before settling on a price, IMO.

Good luck :)

•••
Good advice from Bannen, pretty much spot on. Best of luck!

(Must be a better word than 'luck' O.o)

•••
I agree with Bannen about the pricing. I wouldn't sell this word under four figures. I think $5-7K sounds about right.

•••
Nice name! List it on Sedo and Target Japanese buyers in 10K range..Good luck!

•••
Bannen, thank you very much for your insightful post. I'm a complete newbie so I learned a lot from what you had to say. When you say list it in the marketplace, where specifically did you have in mind?

Currently I have this running on auction at Flippa and I'm pretty lean on cash so I'm willing to take less than it's worth. Feel free to participate if you're at all interested.

•••
Nice name! List it on Sedo and Target Japanese buyers in 10K range..Good luck!

Sedo over Flippa? Is there a way to target Japanese on Sedo?

•••
Reject it and accept no less than $10-$15k.

This is not about the value of the name, but what someone will pay for the name in Japan if serious.

I speak from personal experience. You can take the $650, the $5k or make them pay upwards of $10k. Don't think companies; even small, lack a budget like that here (and I'm in the poorest prefecture in Japan).

Good luck,
David

•••
Reject it and accept no less than $10-$15k.

This is not about the value of the name, but what someone will pay for the name in Japan if serious.

I speak from personal experience. You can take the $650, the $5k or make them pay upwards of $10k. Don't think companies; even small, lack a budget like that here (and I'm in the poorest prefecture in Japan).

Good luck,
David

Hi David, great insight, appreciate your comment. Any thoughts about how to target potential buyers in Japan? I know there are people who would pay a lot for it, but I don't know how to find and reach them.

•••
•••
The thing is, there are very few Japanese who will pay a premium for a domain name. The concept of premium domains is still not widespread in Japan - and may never be. Yabai.com is a good name, a highly brandable dictionary word. Certainly worth 5 to 10 thousand if not many times more. The only problem is that big domain sales to Japanese end users are rare. It could take years could get a decent offer, and in that time the slang could change (it changes much faster in Japan than in the US).

If you really need money now, you could try a reseller. Priced at 2000. I'm thinking your $600 offer is a reseller as well.

•••
•••

Last edited:
•••
Ill have to disagree with the part of yabai always being there. It will still exist as a word, but slang terms used as superlatives have an expiration date.

If you can hand reg names and flip them for 2k to Japanese end users, then I am impressed. How regularly can you do this, and what volume of domains do you register, if you don't mind my asking?
20,000 isn't much to most businesses, but I have found the Japanese end user to be elusive. Yuki.com sold a few years back at Namejet for about 2000 usd, and that's a far better name than yabai. Its not slang, it's a common name, a common word (meaning snow and courage among other things), used in languages other than Japanese, and the name of existing brands. It was a great price, but that's all it went for at a widely viewed auction.

Edit: I could only find a record of this going for $7500. Maybe my memory is shot, but the point still holds. A widely viewed auction of a Japanese (and other language) keyword far superior to yabai.

Last edited:
•••
Yuki.com sold a few years back at Namejet for about 2000 usd, and that's a far better name than yabai. Its not slang, its a common name, a common word, and the name of existing brands. It was a great price, but that's all it went for at a widely viewed auction.
That's a low reseller price for a great CVCV com. But I see your point. Some answers to your questions would be quite illuminating.

:xf.wink:

•••

Last edited:
•••
From my personal experience,Japanese are tough when you talk a business with them,rest you decide.
Good luck

•••
I'm far from being a domain name valuation expert but I have to agree with David Walker. Domainance, do you speak Japanese? If you don't, you may be unaware how common the slang term Yabai is in everyday conversation. People don't use "Yuki" in every 3rd sentence like they use Yabai. Anyway, thanks for your input.

•••
Just a FYI to everyone posting here:
Yabai.com is currently at live auction now on Flippa, priced at $100, no reserve, with only 4 days left

Also selling other mass-use generic Japanese terms Okusan.com, Oshiri.com, Ikeru.com, and Otemachi.com at no reserve auction. Yabai is getting some attention but even with millions of results on Google, the others are seeing little response because they aren't getting eyeballs on Flippa so nobody knows about the auctions.

•••
I've lived in Japan for 25 years, and Yabai has been a popular expression the whole time in the same way "Cool" has been popular for decades. There are slang terms that go in and out of fashion from month to month, but Yabai isn't one of them.

•••
All good, I've been here 24 years, and am all in. Just 2 things. One is that slang terms are not among the most valuable domains, as they have limited business application compared to words like insurance, cars, etc. Surely you remember when yabai just meant trouble? I'd rather have a word with solid meaning in this market than one that is subject to language trends - though yabai is very popular slang.

Yabai is highly brandable, but it's not widely used by businesses who have the funds you are looking for. Highly brandable words like this have to wait for the right buyer. It can be a very long wait. When the buyer comes, of course, the payoff is substantial. But there's the wait - and that's in the US. In Japan, where the domain market is tiny, it looks much tougher. For quick cash, you need a reseller to buy.

The second, and more important point is that Japanese in general don't spend big in domains. Look at another word for "cool" sugoi.com. Not used by a Japanese company. Look at the words for insurance, cars, whatever. All parked or empty as far as I can see. As are 保険.com and 自動車.com. Big end user sales (to Japanese end users) are extremely rare. All of the premium domains have been locked up by speculators, and aren't being bought by end users. That could change, and I think it will, but it still remains speculative.

I'm not trying to trash the word, but I wouldn't spend over 2k on it myself, even if I were in the market. good thing you've got David bidding. One or two others, and it could top $8000.

"Any thoughts about how to target potential buyers in Japan? I know there are people who would pay a lot for it, but I don't know how to find and reach them."
That question threw me off a bit there - I wouldn't have guessed that you were here for 25 years. Simply search and find an introduction. If you can't get an intro, then just cold call. If you can't speak Japanese fluently, then ask someone to help out. Or find a foreign company in Japan that could use it. The foreign company will be more familiar with the concept of premium domains, and easier to talk to. Japanese companies aren't much fun to sell to, but the kind of young startups that might be interested in this name may be more flexible. Unless the company is currently branding under the term "yabai" outbound sales aren't likely to work, simply because they are not looking for that name at the moment. When a company wants to brand, they will find you.

Last edited:
•••

Last edited:
•••

Last edited:
•••

Last edited:
•••
  • The sidebar remains visible by scrolling at a speed relative to the page’s height.
Back