Domain Empire

new gtlds XYZ fighting red tape to serve Chinese customers

NameSilo
Watch

Arpit131

Top Member
Impact
XYZ.com is trying to become one of the first non-Chinese gTLD registries to be able to sell unhindered into the Chinese market, in the face of Draconian government regulations.

The company has filed a Registry Services Evaluation Process request with ICANN — the first of its kind — that would let it use a gateway service, based in China, to comply with strict local laws on registries, registrars and registrants
Anyone in China can buy a domain, but you need a license if you want to put up a web site, according to Gavin Brown, CTO of .xyz back-end CentralNic. Registrants also need to have their Whois information verified and validated, he said.
The .xyz gTLD is believed to have a few hundred thousand domains registered via Chinese registrars, a substantial portion of its total.
There’s a worry that China could demand the deletion of these names and others, as it has previously in .cn, if the proper licenses have not been obtained.

Source: Domain Incite

•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
•••
Should be interesting to see how this plays out, if the time and money invested was worth it. Too bad they don't have a rep. on NP to tell us what this actually means as they seem fully involved with the process.

•••
Need a licence to put up a website...than how domains will penetrate among the local crowd. The chinese govt. should ease the rules for development of business/internet.

•••
i think you only have to confirm if the name is being hosted as individual or business?

And the verification is normally just a copy of passport for individuals which is not a big problem?

Business registrations a little more complicated?

This is for .cn
"NOTE:
The .CN Central Registry requires additional information and documentation to set the name servers for .CN domains. You will also be asked to submit photo copies of your ID or Business License, which should match your default Registrant information entered under the .CN domain settings."

I don't see any additional complications for cctld / gtld unless China's intent is to promote the local cctld and block alternatives.

Last edited:
•••
•••
I don't see any additional complications for cctld / gtld unless China's intent is to promote the local cctld and block alternatives.

A lot of their internet policies will be related to oversight and censorship. That is one of their main priorities when it comes to the internet, at least under their current President.

I believe they will also block the more established US based extensions (.com, .net, etc.) to level the playing field since most Chinese businessmen and startups weren't able to buy .com's at rock bottom prices when the Internet first started. In that sense .com's monopoly can be seen as unfair since most of their citizens missed the boat in the 1900s / 2000s.

Last edited:
•••
  • The sidebar remains visible by scrolling at a speed relative to the page’s height.
Back