Dynadot

question Would you buy a .com if net / org are taken?

Spaceship Spaceship
Watch
Impact
Hi
Would you buy a .com if net / org are taken ?
Thanks

•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
Depends on the name honestly you could take it and try try to market it as an uprdage for the .net and the .org but you are limiting your self to two customers

•••
•••
Shouldn't be the only reason for buying. I view it as a bonus, or just another small factor in the equation.

•••
Shouldn't be the only reason for buying. I view it as a bonus, or just another small factor in the equation.
Completely agree.

In addition, I would only consider it a small bonus if an active business site is actually being run on one or both of the other extensions.

•••
It’s certainly an indication that the domain might be more popular, but it’s just one of many factors. One thing I’ve noticed, at least with soon to expire domains, is that the .com, .net and .org are often all owned by the same person and expire around the same time. Make sure you take into account who owns the other domains and what they’re being used for.

•••
Completely agree.

In addition, I would only consider it a small bonus if an active business site is actually being run on one or both of the other extensions.
I agree and even this isn't a guarantee they will want the .com. I picked up a com on the drop when I saw a large company operating on the .biz. Never even got an answer from them when I contacted the appropriate people on LinkedIn and via email.

•••
Many people do this in the brandable space but avoid if any trademark exists.

•••
I used to have a personal website at .net (by choice, .com was free at the time I started it). Some poor souls would continuously pick up .com and try to sell it to me. At one point, after it dropped once again, I regged it just to end their suffering. ;)

What I'd like to say is - examine closely what kind of websites (if any) are at the other extensions. Sometimes there would be 10+ extensions taken but none of them developed. Or maybe .org is taken by a non-profit and .net used just for mail by someone - then it's not very likely to profit from .com.

•••
Some great points made in this discussion. Agree with @Rich is it is a bonus but only if the name is a smart buy anyway.

And as others said, look at whether they are developed or if they belong to the same investor.

Also, I think it depends on the name. Some names are well suited to the .net extension, so someone on .net will not automatically want the .com. Same with .org.

In some ways I like to see a bunch of meaningful country code registrations in term, especially if some developed, since shows that the term is widely used and some of them might well want to acquire a .com to go with their country code.

Thanks for question @seank.

Bob

•••
Perhaps, but not jump into it.
Will proceed to the cart if I get a satisfactory answer to this question in my mind, why did those guys leave the .com and register .net or .org?

•••
only great case in this is if you catch the .com expired and the other party owns the .net and .org. Then you have a leverage buy.

Not available, expired. :)

•••
only great case in this is if you catch the .com expired and the other party owns the .net and .org. Then you have a leverage buy.

Not available, expired. :)

But then you need to make sure its not TM right?

•••
  • The sidebar remains visible by scrolling at a speed relative to the page’s height.
Back