Domain Empire

Worth it to become Dynadot Bulk customer for API + dropcatching?

Spaceship Spaceship
Watch

DoNotTrackMyIP

Established Member
Impact
Hello NP,

For those that are users of Dynadot's API, is it worth it to become a Bulk customer for higher priority for dropcatching? It's $500, wondering if it's worth it to get to that level vs. just submitting BOs in SN or the other Dropcatchers. I suppose by "worth it" I'm wondering how successful you are with Dyna's API for dropcatching.

Thanks much.

•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
You will be able to dropcatch uncompetitive names. In other words, you will beat all hand regs and there's a good chance that you will beat other API dropcatchers, but you won't beat anything backordered by dropcatch, ever.

•••
You will be able to dropcatch uncompetitive names. In other words, you will beat all hand regs and there's a good chance that you will beat other API dropcatchers, but you won't beat anything backordered by dropcatch, ever.
Thanks much @Lord Antares. Did you notice any better API performance/success being a "Bulk" rate member?

•••
Hello NP,

For those that are users of Dynadot's API, is it worth it to become a Bulk customer for higher priority for dropcatching? It's $500, wondering if it's worth it to get to that level vs. just submitting BOs in SN or the other Dropcatchers. I suppose by "worth it" I'm wondering how successful you are with Dyna's API for dropcatching.

Thanks much.

That's not dropcatch, it's regging the drop via API. Automated registration. On the forum it still counts as manual reg. Time is seconds to minutes

Dropcatch is an entirely different thing and CANNOT be done via any API. (0 seconds capture)

Edit: Backorders are probably something in between, a good backorder should snap the domain within 3 seconds. After that it comes into API range.

But there are also lazy backorders out there that actually fire after hours. By then your domain is long gone if medium valuable. Wont' name names, but you've been warned, do your due diligence.

Last edited:
•••
Thank you for the semantic correction, I am still learning the terminology. Drop catching is what the registrar does based off of API calls from users? DC can dropcatch because it is acting as both user and registrar?

•••
Thank you for the semantic correction, I am still learning the terminology. Drop catching is what the registrar does based off of API calls from users? DC can dropcatch because it is acting as both user and registrar?

Dropcatch is done via a dropcatch request at DC or SnapNames. The requests are done internally and issued by the registrar, not by the user. On Dynadot you can try a priority backorder instead.

Again, API is not dropcatch but automated registration as these are issued by the user and it's a slooow request in this field.

Last edited:
•••
•••
What's that! How to avail it?

Sorry I meant priority (edited).

Well Dynadot was explaining recently (I read today on the forum) that they have a priority backorder where it costs more as they also pay more but this gets in front of other backorders. Also that they have added more registrar connections.

I don't do backorders but the information seemed interesting.

•••
Thanks much @Lord Antares. Did you notice any better API performance/success being a "Bulk" rate member?

Although I am a bulk member (accidentally, not on purpose) with dynadot, I haven't used their API for dropcatching. I know the math behind it, so it's unnecessary to test.

•••
Sorry I meant priority (edited).

Well Dynadot was explaining recently (I read today on the forum) that they have a priority backorder where it costs more as they also pay more but this gets in front of other backorders. Also that they have added more registrar connections.

I don't do backorders but the information seemed interesting.
There is no such thing... just backorder

•••
•••
I can confirm my .us dropcatch order with domainrecover.net was beaten by dynadot dropcatch.

I never knew dynadot had a dropcatch service. now I know. Their websites does not mention it.

•••
This is an option for some who have niche names no one wants & prefer to have it done automatically. ;)

•••
This is an option for some who have niche names no one wants & prefer to have it done automatically. ;)

how much is it? different pricing for different extensions?

•••
how much is it? different pricing for different extensions?
Haven't tried it yet myself. I'll probably be checking soon for some names I let go and see what happens.

•••
  • The sidebar remains visible by scrolling at a speed relative to the page’s height.
Back