Dynadot

news WordPress Introduces “100-Year Plan” Including Domain Registrations

Spaceship Spaceship
Watch

News

Hand-picked NewsTop Member
Impact
In a blog post yesterday, WordPress announced its new “100-Year Plan.” The plan includes domain name registration, hosting, and support for 100 years. The cost is a staggering $38,000 for each plan.
WordPress created a video advertisement for this new service, and it’s clearly not targeting domain investors or domain name portfolio registrants:
Read More.

•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
I suppose when a young person buys life insurance they are placing some faith in the long term provider of the insurance. Of course, in the case of insurers they are highly regulated and take various measures to enhance probability of long term viability.

I can see this plan attractive to a few. Let's say you believe strongly in some cause, or want to be sure your views or creative works that you have on a WordPress site are preserved past your lifetime. They are offering both paying the domain registration, but also making sure the site stays up, as I understand it.

But what regulation or confidence is there that they can deliver on this? That is essential question.

All about there are various lifetime things offered - lifetime hosting, lifetime online storage, lifetime subscriptions, etc. I doubt in most cases they will be around for decades, but depending on pricing, may still be an attractive option in some cases.

The pricing does seem really high. Right now one could readily get about 5% guaranteed interest rate on 10+ years. On the $38,000 that would yield revenue of $1900 per year. Seems like a lot to cover the services offered.

-Bob

•••
It would be self-defeating to disclose this.
You have to hide the biggest turn off.

Show attachment 245349
https://me.pcmag.com/en/web-hosting/18988/wordpress-now-offers-a-100-year-plan-for-domains

$38,000 put into a savings account with a 4.5% APY compounded daily (many banks offer this rate now), would earn $157.41 a month in interest.

1693598378052.gif

•••
The won’t exist in 100 years.

•••
•••
  • The sidebar remains visible by scrolling at a speed relative to the page’s height.
Back