Domain Empire

news WordPress Introduces “100-Year Plan” Including Domain Registrations

Spaceship Spaceship
Watch

News

Hand-picked NewsTop Member
Impact
In a blog post yesterday, WordPress announced its new “100-Year Plan.” The plan includes domain name registration, hosting, and support for 100 years. The cost is a staggering $38,000 for each plan.
WordPress created a video advertisement for this new service, and it’s clearly not targeting domain investors or domain name portfolio registrants:
Read More.

•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
This sounds a little bit like the "forever domains" from Epik lol

•••
This sounds a little bit like the "forever domains" from Epik lol
Yep, same problem as the "forever domains".

You are paying for a promise. We saw how that worked out with Epik.

A lot of things change over time, never mind in 100 years.

It makes sense as the company collecting all the up front revenue, but doesn't as a consumer. This is especially true when the registry itself is not on board.

Brad

Last edited:
•••
Here is an AI site's take on a 100-year service plan:

1. Uncertainty: Predicting the needs and demands of customers over such a long period can be challenging. Market conditions, technology advancements, and customer preferences can change significantly over time, making it difficult to guarantee the same level of service for a century.

2. Financial Viability: Offering a 100-year service plan requires a company to have a stable and sustainable financial model. It involves committing resources, infrastructure, and personnel for an extended period, which may not be economically feasible, especially for startups or smaller companies.

3. Adaptability: Businesses need to adapt and evolve to stay relevant and competitive. A 100-year service plan may limit a company's ability to innovate and respond to changing market dynamics. It can lead to stagnation and hinder the company's growth potential.

4. Legal and Regulatory Challenges: Laws and regulations change over time, and complying with them for such an extended period can be complex. Adapting to new legal requirements and ensuring compliance can be a significant challenge over a century.

5. Customer Expectations: Customer expectations and needs evolve over time. Offering the same service for 100 years may not align with future customer requirements or preferences. It may be challenging to meet evolving expectations and maintain customer satisfaction over such a long period.

6. Technological Obsolescence: Technology advances rapidly, and what may be cutting-edge today could become outdated in a few years, let alone a century. Keeping up with technological advancements and integrating them into the service can be a significant challenge.

7. Business Sustainability: The long-term viability of a company offering a 100-year service plan depends on various factors, including market demand, competition, and the company's ability to adapt. It's crucial to assess whether the business can sustain itself over such an extended period.

While offering a 100-year service plan may have some advantages, it's essential to carefully evaluate the potential cons and consider the feasibility and practicality of such a long-term commitment.

Last edited:
•••
I prefer to pay that amount in the EMI plan, maybe something like a per-day plan (EDI not EMI).

and i.e. $ 38000 / (365 * 100) = $ 1.041 per day

a dollar a day - still sounds too much.

•••
Imagine if the following things had 100-year warranty plans. Here are 20 inventions from the 1920s that are no longer widely used today:

1. Phonograph records (replaced by digital audio formats)
2. Typewriters (replaced by computers and word processors)
3. Film projectors (replaced by digital projectors and streaming services)
4. Vacuum tube radios (replaced by transistors and integrated circuits)
5. Slide rules (replaced by calculators and digital devices)
6. Carbon paper (replaced by photocopying and digital printing)
7. Victrola record players (replaced by modern audio systems)
8. Hand-cranked washing machines (replaced by electric washing machines)
9. Silent film projectors (replaced by synchronized sound in movies)
10. Iceboxes (replaced by modern refrigerators)
11. Gas lamps (replaced by electric lighting)
12. Steam-powered locomotives (replaced by diesel and electric trains)
13. Manual cash registers (replaced by electronic cash registers and point-of-sale systems)
14. Telegraph machines (replaced by telephones and digital communication)
15. Hand-cranked car starters (replaced by electric starters)
16. Player pianos (replaced by electronic keyboards)
17. Tin can openers (replaced by modern can openers)
18. Hand-cranked cameras (replaced by digital cameras)
19. Wind-up alarm clocks (replaced by digital alarm clocks and smartphones)
20. Rotary dial telephones (replaced by touch-tone and mobile phones)

While some of these inventions may still have niche uses or collectors' value, they are no longer commonly used in everyday life.

That reminds me; I have to check the warranty on my 8-track player.

AI-generated.

Last edited:
•••
From a business standpoint, this screams RISK. Any business that offers plans as ridiculous as this is likely experiencing a liquidity constraint and the state of their business is likely in question.

From an accounting standpoint, my CPA would murder me for the simple fact that recognizing revenue on a single payment for a hundred years never happens... like ever.

While I don't think Wordpress.com is exactly hurting, it sounds like a desperate play much similar to web hosts offering $1 /year hosting plans or $2 /month VPS plans.

From a reality perspective, think about how the internet has changed over the past 20 years. Or the fact that the internet hasn't been around for even 50 years... this is just silly.

•••
The most ironic part is, that most if not all of us will be dead in 100 years, including those who came up with the 100 year wordpress "offers".

Last edited:
•••
As pointed out, 100-year plans are a scam. ICANN only allows for 10 years, so you're effectively paying your registrar to renew the site for you. This of course will come with a bunch of clauses in the fine-print that allows them to extort money from you if it's not profitable, either that or it may file bankruptcy which is even worse. Furthermore, you'd not be able to transfer your domain and keep those 100 years.

But even doing some number-crunching, $38,000 for 100 years is $380/year, the current renewal price of a .com is $10/year. Granted, it's slowly going to go up over the years (7% annually, with bi-annual freezes?) and we're likely going to see some change before it gets ridicolous.

Also, didn't Network Solution offer 100 year plans for $4,000 a few years ago?

Hard pass on this one.

Last edited:
•••
My only answer 😂😂😂😂😂

We dont know what will happen tomorrow not in 100 years

•••
Where does the $38k price come from, as it's not mentioned in the announcement?

•••
This costs $38,000
I would not pay $1,000 for this.

Epik’s now defunct “forever domain” cost $399.99

•••
It would be self-defeating to disclose this.
You have to hide the biggest turn off.

IMG_5997.jpeg

https://me.pcmag.com/en/web-hosting/18988/wordpress-now-offers-a-100-year-plan-for-domains

Last edited:
•••
Why generate a pointless traffic for your support staff, though?

"Hi, I'm interested in the 100-year subscription."
"Sure thing, that'd be $38k."
"Bye, not interested anymore.

•••
Why generate a pointless traffic for your support staff, though?

"Hi, I'm interested in the 100-year subscription."
"Sure thing, that'd be $38k."
"Bye, not interested anymore.
i love the way this guy thinks;
but even “100 year domain” is not forever.
This is a clever gimmick! Epik’s was more clever.
IMG_5998.jpeg

https://wordpress.com/100-year/#start

Last edited:
•••
I want to answer your question directly.
Other than the obvious they want to reel you in by not disclosing price; someone else already did the legwork. This is in their form start link:
IMG_5999.jpeg

Last edited:
•••
•••
•••
•••
From a business standpoint, this screams RISK. Any business that offers plans as ridiculous as this is likely experiencing a liquidity constraint and the state of their business is likely in question.

From an accounting standpoint, my CPA would murder me for the simple fact that recognizing revenue on a single payment for a hundred years never happens... like ever.

While I don't think Wordpress.com is exactly hurting, it sounds like a desperate play much similar to web hosts offering $1 /year hosting plans or $2 /month VPS plans.

From a reality perspective, think about how the internet has changed over the past 20 years. Or the fact that the internet hasn't been around for even 50 years... this is just silly.

RISK is correct. Committing to a 100-year renewal with WordPress poses a risk, given the unpredictable nature of businesses and the possibility of insolvency. At $38k, the pricing is exorbitant compared to the average annual renewal rate of $10-12. Very few companies have withstood the test of a century. This offer seems more like a gimmick than a genuine value proposition.

Last edited:
•••
While the plan is obviously unfeasible, offering it may primarily be a marketing ploy.
1. It reminds the general public that WordPress is a domain registrar and not just a CMS
2. It distracts from the news of Google domains moving to Squarespace, a competitor
3. Offering a high priced option is an effective tactic. People tend to avoid the highest or lowest, so offering a 100-year plan will sell more 10-year plans which is still more money than 1 year.

•••
What kind of hosting does wordpress offer in that plan?!

dedicated scalable super server, with 2 tb SSD, no bandwith costs etc?!

What can justify such a price tag...

•••
In a blog post yesterday, WordPress announced its new “100-Year Plan.” The plan includes domain name registration, hosting, and support for 100 years. The cost is a staggering $38,000 for each plan.
WordPress created a video advertisement for this new service, and it’s clearly not targeting domain investors or domain name portfolio registrants:
Read More.

Thought this was a joke when I first read this thread . And must be a marketing ploy as mentioned by TribeMagnet .

•••
•••
so offering a 100-year plan will sell more 10-year plans which is still more money than 1 year.
Can't find their 2022’s revenue as a domain registrar, but I have no doubt that just one sell of this so called 100-year plan will cover a lot of operating losses, boom, money for nothing (and chicks for free)

•••
  • The sidebar remains visible by scrolling at a speed relative to the page’s height.
Back