NameSilo

Windows XP Fonts

Spaceship Spaceship
Watch
I've got my new XP up and running, and I'm in the finishing process of transfering all my files to this computer from my last one.

As planned, I'm going to load all the fonts I used on my last machine onto my new machine, except, there are aload of fonts already installed on XP that I don't need. I scared to delete any because there are 3 different formats... (Well, icons, even.)

Check out the attachment. What are the difference in the three? What can I and can't I delete? I believe the red is the fonts XP use and need, and well, by default I know what the blue 'T' means and that I can delete it freely if need be. Whats the other icon? Can I delete these fonts?

Thanks for your help in advance. :gl:

•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
It's just the type of font darren ;) Simply means it's a different style I beleive. I have the first two, but not the third. I beleive you can delete them.. but I see no gain in that :lol: That will free up like 50KB :p. So them sitting there is not harming your computer, but you can delete them if you wish. If it does do something (which I highly doubt it will), then I will upload the two I have and download the other one for you ;)

Good luck!

•••
Whoops. You've misunderstood Adam, or else my wording is misunderstanding!

Them three particular font files you see there, I'm not interested about. I'm talking about the 'icons' them fonts have.

There are three different font types; Outline fonts, Vector fonts and Raster fonts. What font icon from the attachment I gave matches each font type?

I want to know if I'm safe to delete the fonts that have a red, and a green icon, or if they are there because a program needs them and shouldn't be deleted.

I want to delete alot of my fonts, I know I can delete the ones with a blue icon, but I'm not sure about the ones with a red icon, and a gree/black icon.

:)

•••
Im not sure of this but I dont think you can tell from the colors and stuff. Maybe you can but im not sure. lol never thought of this before.

•••
as long as you leave the following fonts you should be fine: Arial, Verdana, Trebuchet MS, Comic Sans MS, Courier, Times New Roman, MS Sans Serif, and MS Serif. i would say just make a restore point prior to deleting any fonts just in case.

•••
I'm going to delete any of the 'blue' and 'green/black' iconed fonts that I don't need anyway. I'm going to keep the red, because as far as I know, Windows needs them, for something. I think I remember deleting a 'red' iconed font off my last computer and had some trouble viewing some online text.

As you said Sean, I'll make a back-up of my font's first, just incase.

I believe theres a list of recommened or needed fonts for each Windows platform. I can't remember if I saw it in a design book or on the internet, but if anybody knows of such list, let me know!

Thanks guys. :)

•••
windows system fonts have the extension .fon instead of .ttf so just leave all the .fon which i think you might be right are all of the red ones. but i would also leave the ones i metioned earlier as i think these are used for help files and other variuos things.

•••
•••
Originally posted by smh7233
windows system fonts have the extension .fon instead of .ttf so just leave all the .fon which i think you might be right are all of the red ones. but i would also leave the ones i metioned earlier as i think these are used for help files and other variuos things.

Your right about the .FON extension. I'll leave these anyway.

And the fonts you mensioned earlier are default fonts, I wouldn't be deleting those kind of ones anyway!

Thanks all! :tu:

•••
  • The sidebar remains visible by scrolling at a speed relative to the page’s height.
Back