Dynadot

Windows vs. Linux

Spaceship Spaceship
Watch
Impact
Hi,
what do you think about it?
How is the best OS for host servers??? :wave:
I'm prefering Windows 2003 std ed. but I have seen that Linux hoster offer more hard disk space and yearly data transfer than Windows hoster, that's true or not??? :-/

•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
Linux! Also, I find it to more reliable. Unless you need .asp, then you have to use windows.

•••
you can run asp on linux as well

•••
Most of the big companies. Noc,Nac,SM offer both Windows and Linux.. Windows is commonly used for hosting game servers, and running servers like Shoutcast,etc because of the Remote Desktop Connection ability.. But this is also a problem since with Windows Popularity it is easyly hacked.. I have seen many game server companies die because they used Windows and got hacked by an enemy clan.. Happens all the time.

For web hosting I reccommand Linux. Asp is not commonly used and I find the language is beat out by Perl.

Alot of Windows Hosters charge more because Windows takes more Disk Space, Processor pwoer to run than Linux does. Linux can run with 30Mhz Processor and 12MB Ram perfectly fine.. But it would be really......... slow. Windows takes atleast like 1Ghz and 256MB Ram in order to run the same.

Personally I prefer Linux but there is supporters on both sides.

eRudNet Support Staff

•••
For hosting, Linux. Its more secure, and runs better in my opinion

•••
tyler79 said:
Hi,
what do you think about it?
How is the best OS for host servers??? :wave:
I'm prefering Windows 2003 std ed. but I have seen that Linux hoster offer more hard disk space and yearly data transfer than Windows hoster, that's true or not??? :-/

Linux is more flexible and in my opinion easier to secure and less vulnerable to attacks in general (if properly maintained).

Windows should only be used if you need. ASP, .NET and Microsoft only technologies.

As you said Linux hosting is usually cheaper and more common so unless you need Microsoft scripting languages then I would stay away.

Many Windows hosts are often hit by virii that wipe out the contents or infect the contents of everyone elses sites.

•••
It depends, linux is the choice for hosting because it's more stable/secure in alot of peoples eyes....

Although, if you need ASP support you need windows.

•••
IMO Linux for hosting as its more secure and reliable.

•••
Linux is definiately the more reliabe solution...but some technology (such as ColdFusion) can only run on Window servers.

But for the average user...LINUX :hehe:

•••
i will go for linux. php is more secure

•••
Linux is more secure and stable.

•••
So are you suggesting windows only if I need ASP website???

•••
I guess, most users prefer to use linux hosting...

•••
I like windows for dedicated servers, but for shared hosting i prefer Linux.

•••
Actually, there is Cold Fusion available for Linux. But I do agree that Linux is generally to be preferred. I've had nightmares with Windows machine and the security holes

•••
•••
BSD Beats all honestly :D.

Linux - More Secure, Stable, has a better track record than Windows.
BSD (UNIX BASED)- Even more Secure, Stable, HIGHLY Reliable, has the best track record.
Windows - Least stable, Least Secure, does not have a great track record of uptime.

Also I would never go to a competitor website for finding information against their competition ;).

Check out http://uptime.netcraft.com/up/today/top.avg.html
Netstats can only record up to 365 days but the longest recorded has been BSD running for 5 years from what statements have said. The Power of BSD :D.

•••
tyler79,

Usually in OS wars there's no definitive answer and neither is there one for the best web hosting OS category. However we can safely make some general rules of thumb. First of all Windows based servers are the way to go for ColdFusion, ASP and ASP.NET. There's really no viable options. The Open Source implementation of ASP for Linux doesn't and can never match ASP on Windows, simply because it's less performing, less stable and more buggy on *NIX servers. Why? ASP was never meant for anything else than *NIX. Very plain and simple answer. :)

If you however look for a mature and the most used OS platform for web hosting, don't look in the direction of Windows, but instead look at the Free Software alternatives. Mainly Linux and BSD, all being derivated from UNIX. First of all most free server software is at least available for them and run native on them, where as any ports to Windows are insecure, unstable or just not up-to-date in many cases. Or then there's no such port. I looked at your website and I honestly speaking need to criticise you abit. No, not bashing you. First of all running all especially Perl on Windows is not good for a hosting business production environment, because the ActiveState Perl distribution isn't exactly something I've found to be reliable. It's much more easier to get it running on *NIX. Furthermore getting *NIX runtime libraries needed for many scripts is not that easy, at times impossible, not to mention getting more Perl modules isn't easy either. PHP is an another story, because it has been developed with a native Windows port.

If one still wants to go with Windows, I advice to sticking to as Windows native software as possible (mainly IIS, FrontPage extensions, MS SQL, ASP and ASP.NET). Possibly PHP and MySQL as a small help for making the hosting more versatile. However you can exclude these, if you customer niche doesn't mind them. Also pay attention to the fact a Windows server may need commercial paid server applications for example your e-mail needs, in order to match the offerings of a similar *NIX server.

In the end I think this pretty much comes down to this: If you're used to Windows on your desktop and don't want to learn something new (or don't have the time), but still want the server unmanaged and run by yourself, you probably take Windows, despite *NIX would have been the better choice most likely. If you don't want to learn Linux or BSD (= *NIX) or you lack time, I recommend going managed or hiring a freelance sys admin.

•••
I like fendora core 3, Linux!

Windows doesnt support as much things sauch as linux does. Linux is a bit more flexible. Windows also eats up the CPU more

•••
Check out http://uptime.netcraft.com/up/today/top.avg.html
Netstats can only record up to 365 days but the longest recorded has been BSD running for 5 years from what statements have said. The Power of BSD .

Wonderful link!!! Windows Server 2003 and Microsoft-IIS/6.0 have only 190 days :'( placed only on 29 rank. However thanks to Rasbelin for your explanation... :hi:

•••
I will recommend windows for personal use & linux for hosting business.

•••
it depends on the applications you need

•••
Linux is best for hosting IMO, for personal use, Windows is best :)

~Spinky

•••
i use linux and windows... i prefer linux its more stable

•••
I have heard some rumors that you cant get hacked when you use Linux, is that true?

~Spinky

•••
  • The sidebar remains visible by scrolling at a speed relative to the page’s height.
Back