IT.COM

discuss Will this happen to domains? Disruptive Tech (Uber, Lyft) lowered the value of taxi medallions

Spaceship Spaceship
Watch

Domainscoop.com

Established Member
Impact
Once upon a time, domainers some of the big ones, used taxi medallions in newyork as reference for domain name value. Some argued how medallions will keep getting expensive, and how people who acquired it long ages ago selling it for millions. But now look at this article, Uber, lyft, made their value insanely cheap.

What do you think of domain in the coming future? it sure will not be millions, mobile apps are taking over slowly and surely over the domain names. What do you think?

https://www.yahoo.com/finance/news/uber-lyft-down-not-just-042353935.html

•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
I don't think apps are a threat to domain names. Unless the Internet shrinks to just 100 big companies.

•••
I don't think apps are a big threat to domains. Most smartphone users download zero new apps per month.

Here are some other issues that may negatively impact domains:
- Centralization of the internet
- Walled gardens/closed platforms
- Corporations trying to alter how the internet functions to prevent piracy. Commercial pressures may hurt the open structure of the web.
- Google and their war on domains
- The weakening of western economies and the western middle class, and the shift in the global power balance and trade system is possibly going to impact lower end English language .com demand over time
- Actions by governments to maintain political control (i.e. China's great firewall). Increased blocking and filtering leads to further fracturing, balkanization and segmentation of the web.
- Surveillance and privacy issues.
- Net neutrality/level playing field issues.
- Voice computing
/AI personal assistants

In my opinion, governments are the biggest threat to the Internet and domains. I don't think a demise of domains is imminent, but there are a number of factors that may negatively affect domains in the long term.

•••
apps, and mobile share of internet market has been growing at enormous speed. Just my 2 cents.

•••
anything can change as time goes on. Keep yourself informed and flexible

"When driving, Its always good to look at the road ahead"

•••
  • The sidebar remains visible by scrolling at a speed relative to the page’s height.
Back