IT.COM

Wii????

Spaceship Spaceship
Watch
hello I have a great domain name that begins with Wii will this cause legal problems down the line if I decide to sell it?

•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
You shouldn't have anything to worry about. I have about 20 such names, and have never had any issues whatsoever.

•••
Yup I wouldn't worry. As long as you aren't going to infringe on their trademarks I wouldn't worry.

Skinny

•••
Yeah, wii is a generic word and has been around for centuries. Go ahead and use it, but why stop there? register some more, they can not legally touch you...

Ugh, the above was sarcasm, it amazes the thought process of some "domainers" around here. This is the legal section, how about some legal point of view? It is a TM, hence there can be issues. As far as not ever being contacted about TM names you own, consider yourself lucky instead of being legally able to hold them.

Good test here, if you register something because you heard of a name, product or service, you are more than likely infringing on the name.

•••
Technically speaking, yes. But realistically, there isn't much likelihood of anything happening.

•••
Do a search at WIPO for Nintendo...you will get an idea of how well they protect their brand and for what reasons. Normally it's the content of the sites that get Nintendo pissed off. Also don't park the name. If you develop a fan site with moderate advertising...I would be willing to bet they would leave you alone. I have developed and sold many nintendo based names and not once have they C&D'd me.

•••
  • The sidebar remains visible by scrolling at a speed relative to the page’s height.
Back