IT.COM

WhyPark pages going bye bye?

Spaceship Spaceship
Watch
Impact
Have any of you fellow Why Parkers noticed if the number of pages indexed in google for your sites have fallen into the single digits? This has happened to all of my WHyPark sites. I'm hoping this is just google rebuilding their index, and not some penalty against the whypark model. Anyone have some info or comments on what is going on here?

•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
I only put one name with them so far but it got indexed almost immediatly. I put it with them maybe a week ago.

•••
do why park add fresh pages often to your domains

•••
I've lost all indexed pages on a few whypark sites and I am definitely losing indexed pages across the board. And my SE visits are going down. Also, I'm having to re-verify in the Google Webmaster tools and in some cases have had to re-verify more than once. I'm sure this has to do a lot with duplicate content and possibly the server timeouts.

•••
avi2l said:
I've lost all indexed pages on a few whypark sites and I am definitely losing indexed pages across the board. And my SE visits are going down. Also, I'm having to re-verify in the Google Webmaster tools and in some cases have had to re-verify more than once. I'm sure this has to do a lot with duplicate content and possibly the server timeouts.

Same thing is happening with me. In fact I've mentioned this in 2 other threads about 3 weeks ago after Googlebot spidered my WhyPark sites. They all used to have anywhere fom 80 to 200 indexed pages to a present 5-12 pages indexed. That's a significant drop. Only thing I can think of is Duplicate Content.

From what I hear WhyPark already has 20.000 sites out there, so there's bound to be lots of similar sites using the same content and Google must be seeing this.

And just like you, 21 of 55 my WhyPark domains need to be re-verified, which I havn't touched for the last 3 weeks to see if the numbers increase. They've remained at 21 of 55, so I'll re-verify them again in the next few days.

BTW this re-verify problem had happened for the first time about 6 weeks ago, where I had to re-verify 6 of my 55 WhyPark domains.

Yes, they do put out fresh pages stalwart, and BTW welcome to NamePros :hi:

GIL :)

Last edited:
•••
I've got two, and they're both indexed and ranking, since I put them up at the beginning of the month. But I'm using only my own content, and none of WhyPark's at the moment - and that's probably why.

When you think about duplicate content, it's important to think of it in terms of percentages, because I'm fairly sure that's how Google figures it (they have to do it by algorithm, because anything else wouldn't scale)

So it stands to reason that if Google comes along and sees that a significant percentage of your site is duplicated either elsewhere on your own site, or elsewhere on the web, then you run the risk of having them decide it's not important enough to index and/or rank. It's a balancing act.

A certain percentage is always going to be duplicate across all your pages - your navigation, headers, footers, etc. If you're using WhyPark (or other syndicated) content, then you have to add that to the percentage.

By the time you add all that up, if it's over 60 to 70% duplicate, well, you're probably going to have a problem.

So what you have to do is figure out how you can add some unique content to tip that percentage back a little bit in your favor. Having unique page titles and meta description tags helps, but sometimes you need a little more. Sometimes you can do it with a paragraph (if you have a small amount of duplication elsewhere) or sometimes you have to do it with a LOT of paragraphs. It all depends on keeping your percentages in balance.

If you think you are running into a duplicate content issue in Google, then start by making sure all your titles and meta description tags are unique to the page. Then start adding content, a paragraph at a time, and see if that doesn't improve it. But if you just add more syndicated content, you're just going to exacerbate your original problem.

And if you're stumped about adding fresh unique content, then try it the other way - try REMOVING some of the duplicate content, to even it out that way. Choose fewer syndicated articles per page, for example.

You'll probably have to keep tweaking until you get a formula that works for you and your niche.

Remember - if it were easy, everyone on the planet would be publishing.

Last edited:
•••
netmeg said:
I've got two, and they're both indexed and ranking, since I put them up at the beginning of the month. But I'm using only my own content, and none of WhyPark's at the moment - and that's probably why.

When you think about duplicate content, it's important to think of it in terms of percentages, because I'm fairly sure that's how Google figures it (they have to do it by algorithm, because anything else wouldn't scale)

So it stands to reason that if Google comes along and sees that a significant percentage of your site is duplicated either elsewhere on your own site, or elsewhere on the web, then you run the risk of having them decide it's not important enough to index and/or rank. It's a balancing act.

A certain percentage is always going to be duplicate across all your pages - your navigation, headers, footers, etc. If you're using WhyPark (or other syndicated) content, then you have to add that to the percentage.

By the time you add all that up, if it's over 60 to 70% duplicate, well, you're probably going to have a problem.

So what you have to do is figure out how you can add some unique content to tip that percentage back a little bit in your favor. Having unique page titles and meta description tags helps, but sometimes you need a little more. Sometimes you can do it with a paragraph (if you have a small amount of duplication elsewhere) or sometimes you have to do it with a LOT of paragraphs. It all depends on keeping your percentages in balance.

If you think you are running into a duplicate content issue in Google, then start by making sure all your titles and meta description tags are unique to the page. Then start adding content, a paragraph at a time, and see if that doesn't improve it. But if you just add more syndicated content, you're just going to exacerbate your original problem.

And if you're stumped about adding fresh unique content, then try it the other way - try REMOVING some of the duplicate content, to even it out that way. Choose fewer syndicated articles per page, for example.

You'll probably have to keep tweaking until you get a formula that works for you and your niche.

Remember - if it were easy, everyone on the planet would be publishing.

As usual your posts allways make sense. Thanks again. BTW did Michigan recover to win the game?

•••
GILSAN said:
As usual your posts allways make sense. Thanks again. BTW did Michigan recover to win the game?

No, we lost, badly. Only redeeming factor is our arch-rival, #1 ranked Ohio State, lost as well. Now the big showdown between us and them (and the last game of the season) next Saturday, and this bad season will be behind us.

•••
Thanks, Netmeg, very informative. I'm gonna try to spend some time on my WP sites that don't have unique content.

And good luck with the Buckeyes this weekend. I'm hoping they get left out of NC game and come play USC at the RoseBowl.

•••
  • The sidebar remains visible by scrolling at a speed relative to the page’s height.
Back