Dynadot

discuss Why ZUXY.COM sells for 2201 on GD expiry but not for 416 on GD public auction?

Spaceship Spaceship
Watch

domainerfella

DN.DOMAINSTop Member
Impact
This is just an example. Nobody bought it from the domainer and he had to let it expire. It looks like he had bought it for 415 a year ago. He was just looking for a 1$ profit.

Why do expiring auctions get all the attention?

Why are domainers at a disadvantage, considering people who buy names on expiry are again mostly domainers? Are we missing something?

What are the tools that give edge to expiring auctions and what can we do as a community to get the same kind of exposure? What can be done to improve visibility and sales of public auctions to match with that of the expiring?

Thoughts or am I sounding dumb?

•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
Not dumb at all. Some very good questions but unfortunately no easy answers. The expired auctions are getting the lion's share of bids, and some of the final bids and even opening bids are often incredibly high for domains that on first look seem very unremarkable. There's more to this story than meets the eye.

Folks running public auctions at GoDaddy are at a huge disadvantage, that much is for sure. With the commission now at 20%, it's hardly worth the effort or cost.

•••
Tested this many times, a decade ago I was talking about the difference between expired and public auctions, a few people told me no difference, If I like a domain I would bid, I agreed with that sentiment personally. But it is not true in general.

I have had some domainers say if it is expired at NameJet I know I am going to get the domain, Frank Schilling one time said that on his blog years ago, commenters would say I have a similar name to what you paid on NameJet and Frank made clear he did not like to make those kinds of purchases, things are organized and streamlined at NameJet he felt confident he was going to get the domain.

Others have been burned, won a name in a public auction and the seller did not like the price so refused to transfer the name, when it comes to money, I know everyone loves to quote "all you have is your reputation, don't soil that for a few dollars" Truth is over the last 18 years I have met people that would sell their Mother for $100 in the hopes of buying her back for $80. Having a Sedo or Go Daddy account closed does not upset everyone, especially when they know the ways of setting up a new account with little to no problem.

Back to expired auctions vs public auctions, in working with Adam Dicker, there were names that Adam owned expiring, some of these names went up to as high as $2,200 with four days left, these were all LLLL.com domains, so Adam renewed and on a handful of these 4L.coms a 7 day public auction was started. None of the names got over $400, and did not meet reserve, not one, this happened again in 2014 and the same thing happened, 4L.coms bid up to $2,000 before getting to the last hour bidding frenzy, renewed, public auction and nothing over $400.

I have had people tell me to my face I don't want to put money in the pocket of a competitor, I only buy expired auctions.

•••
The folly of fools is deception.

•••
Might be those Domainers aren't lucky :(

•••
Back to expired auctions vs public auctions, in working with Adam Dicker, there were names that Adam owned expiring, some of these names went up to as high as $2,200 with four days left, these were all LLLL.com domains, so Adam renewed and on a handful of these 4L.coms a 7 day public auction was started. None of the names got over $400, and did not meet reserve, not one, this happened again in 2014 and the same thing happened, 4L.coms bid up to $2,000 before getting to the last hour bidding frenzy, renewed, public auction and nothing over $400.

I have had people tell me to my face I don't want to put money in the pocket of a competitor, I only buy expired auctions.

We have a problem.

•••
  • The sidebar remains visible by scrolling at a speed relative to the page’s height.
Back