tips Why you should renew domains in advance

Spaceship Spaceship
Watch

AbdulBasit.com

DomainsWeb.comTop Member
AbdulBasit.com
Impact
Hello everyone,

Today I wanted to share my point of view on why you should renew your domains in advance and the benefits of it.

So let’s check at how renewing your domains for a longer period than a year might prevent a big headache in the course of time.

1) If you've developed a website and worked hard for marketing your brand and receiving a great number of audience on your domain name, simply don’t let that site suddenly go dark because you forget to renew the domain on due time. So when your registration expires, any services associated with the domain (your website, email service, and so on) stops working. Sometimes the domain renewal alerts can easily get overlooked due to aggressive spam filters on your email account, an overflowing inbox, or any of life’s other distractions.

2) As it may happen with anyone and there are some situations happening around us which are not in our control like the current global situation regarding the virus and its impact to overall humanity. This may lead to weak financial condition, savings are needed to be used for some emergency and more important needs and last but not the least, the lack of domain sales can kill the cash flow in such tough times.

3) There are also some cases where investors tend to renew domains each and every month as the renewal comes for their large portfolio of domains but with any sudden death in family or the domain owner itself, hospitalization, any case of emergency, etc may put your domains at risk of expiring and ultimately to drop. So it's better to renew a lot in advance.

4) Another positive side of renewing the domain is like when any endusers or domain brokers find the domain is near to expiration, they may try to wait for the domain to drop and either hand register it or backorder to secure the domain. But when your domain is renewed in advance let's suppose for an addition of 3 or 5 years, chances are high that the interested party would try to contact and buy directly from you rather than waiting for years for the domain to expire.

So never give a slight hope to anyone that your good domains are going to drop anywhere in the near future. Give yourself peace of mind by renewing your domains far in advance so you don’t accidentally lose them.

As for my portfolio, when it was around 1,000 domains, it was quite easy for me to renew domains for at least a couple of years ahead of expiry. But with the portfolio growing and now little over 4,000 domains, it's difficult to renew that much in advance. But still I have all my domain keepers renewed for an additional 1 year.

Feel free to give your feedback about my strategy and share your own to let others know.

•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
Hi all I exactly,
I am also renew for more than 2years my top 10 domains, when you try to renew more than 3 years, first transfer tour domain to trusted domain registrar then renew additional years

thanks

•••
I would rather put the funds into growth, but, eventually, yes, will divert the funds into renewing early.

It could be a good cash flow management and tax optimization tool.

For developed projects, renewing ahead could also help with SEO as another, albeit weak, positive signal.
I have tested domain expiry date as a "seo factor" and it failed, expiry date does not help with SEO in any ways or forms. i also tested how long it will take google to tank my seo on a expired domain? it took them 2 months to notice that domain is not even LIVE right now. this is not a single domain test but over 20 domains were used. just sharing, in your exp. you maybe right too.

•••
I have tested domain expiry date as a "seo factor" and it failed, expiry date does not help with SEO in any ways or forms. i also tested how long it will take google to tank my seo on a expired domain? it took them 2 months to notice that domain is not even LIVE right now. this is not a single domain test but over 20 domains were used. just sharing, in your exp. you maybe right too.

It is supposed to be a WEAK signal, meaning it would be hard to notice as a standalone. Not sure about your methodology of testing and cleanliness of the experiment. But by the fact that you also mingle in Google not monitoring for domains expiry every few weeks, I don't think it would be done properly. Google is not actively monitoring every page it indexed. It assumes nothing changed unless it is told so with some scheduled re-crawls.

It would be dumb for Google to ignore this signal, as chances of an older name being used as spammy content provider is considerably less than a fresh reg. It could be that Google is not even focusing on the reg data, but on the data Google first found out about it.

•••
I agree with you @AbdulBasit.com

I am doing this from last year for all the premium domains I own. Renewed them for at least 3 years in advance.

It's good to renew premium gems for years and everyone who owns premium domains must do.

•••
I agree with you @AbdulBasit.com

I am doing this from last year for all the premium domains I own. Renewed them for at least 3 years in advance.

It's good to renew premium gems for years and everyone who owns premium domains must do.

How do you define "Premium"?

•••
Domains worth minimum $1k or more, no matter its hand reg. or acquired through auctions. Valuable domains are premium domains.

Many domainer hand reg domains to flip so renewing them for years makes no sense.

•••
Domains worth minimum $1k or more, no matter its hand reg. or acquired through auctions. Valuable domains are premium domains.

Many domainer hand reg domains to flip so renewing them for years makes no sense.

1K valuation per who?

•••
Per, Domain realistic value

•••
I agree with your points @AbdulBasit.com
I would add one more.. it's entirely psychological.. but renewing your domains for 3-5 years gives you a position of strength in negotiations. The potential buyer knows you can sit on it for 5 years without spending another dime. So you don't come/seem to come from a place of desperation to the negotiating table.

•••
I agree with your points @AbdulBasit.com
I would add one more.. it's entirely psychological.. but renewing your domains for 3-5 years gives you a position of strength in negotiations. The potential buyer knows you can sit on it for 5 years without spending another dime. So you don't come/seem to come from a place of desperation to the negotiating table.

Yes, rightly said (y)

•••
At the end of the day, it boils down to the opportunity cost of the money. What is certain here as death and taxes is that you pay early. Let's say you renew by 1 year everything vs right on time. For 1000 names, that is $8500 paid a year earlier. If you can make 20% on your investment if you put that $8500 elsewhere for a year, that is $1700 you could earn for the money that you are foregoing.

Now, if you can do just one extra sale because your extra renewal triggered a purchase for that amount minus cost, then you are at break even. If you did 2, then you made money. So the tactics have to add 0.1-0.2% to your sell through for it to make sense from money perspective (of course, there are possible strategic benefits there too, but this is only about the monetary part).

Again, for me it doesn't make sense, because a) my opportunity cost is 40-50%+ b) I use funds to grow rather than adding years to current portfolio c) I don't have any data to support extra sales from it (I do have some names that I bought that had extra years, did not notice more interest with them, still small sample size though).

•••
4) Another positive side of renewing the domain is like when any endusers or domain brokers find the domain is near to expiration, they may try to wait for the domain to drop and either hand register it or backorder to secure the domain. But when your domain is renewed in advance let's suppose for an addition of 3 or 5 years, chances are high that the interested party would try to contact and buy directly from you rather than waiting for years for the domain to expire.

So never give a slight hope to anyone that your good domains are going to drop anywhere in the near future. Give yourself peace of mind by renewing your domains far in advance so you don’t accidentally lose them

While I enjoyed your entire post and your renew-in-advance premise, I thought reason #4 was a compelling and persuasive reason for long term in advance renewals.

For high quality names in particular, any interested party realizes they must contact and deal directly with you rather than trying to " wait out " a possible drop of the domain.

•••
While I enjoyed your entire post and your renew-in-advance premise, I thought reason #4 was a compelling and persuasive reason for long term in advance renewals.

For high quality names in particular, any interested party realizes they must contact and deal directly with you rather than trying to " wait out " a possible drop of the domain.

Thank you so much :xf.love:

•••
•••
For those of us that "renew" by transferring out via promos... "renewing" depends totally on the promo at hand :tightlyclosedeyes:

•••
Thank you for your great advice. especially #4. With the current situation of the world, many people (endusers and domain investors) are expecting the domains they are interested in, they will be expired.

•••
  • The sidebar remains visible by scrolling at a speed relative to the page’s height.
Back