IT.COM

.com Why You Must Buy .Com Domain Name

Spaceship Spaceship
Watch

levinsondomains

Established Member
Impact
I just finished it , If someone as any additionl info it will be great!

Every month or two, new domain name extensions are released by ICANN. Today, it is possible to see a domain name extension for all industries such as .biz, .edu, .gov, .net. and more. Despite thousands of domain name extensions available in the market today, .com domain names still remains the most sought after domain name extension and there is a good reason for that.

Importance of .Com Domain Names
When most people think about the internet and a website, they think .com. Have you ever asked a friend the name of his website and he say something like; "Oh, the name of my website is Finename". Even without adding the extension to it, what automatically comes to your mind is .com and that's what you are going to use when you are searching for the website. No doubt, the importance of .com domain can never be over-emphasized.

Over the years, businesses have paid millions of dollars to acquire .com domain extensions. In fact, you will not see any other TLDs apart from the .com domain in top 20 most expensive domain names.

Below is the list of a pick of the most expensive domain names:

No doubt, there is a great importance attached to .com extensions. According to the survey by W3Techs, dot com is used as a top level domain by 47.2% of all the websites; this shows the superiority and preference of .com TLD over other TLDs. A search at Domaintools.com, an app that shows domain count statistics for TLDs revealed that as of July 2017, there are over 129,255,879 .com domain names. This number is 7 times bigger than .tk domain extension that comes in the second position with mere 18,769,675 domains.

The preference of .com domain over other extensions started since 1985 when the first .com domain was registered and hasn't shown any sign of slowing down anytime soon.

.COM DOMAIN NAMES
% OF ALL WEBSITES ARE COM
Let's take a look at some reasons why you definitely need a .com domain extension
1. It is the Trend

When you are starting a business, there is no need to re-invent the wheel. All the big businesses - Facebook, Instagram, Pinterest, LinkedIn, Apple, Microsoft, and more are all using a .com TLD. If these businesses recognized the importance of following the trend in the business sector, why the hell would you want to change that? In fact, most of these businesses paid millions of dollars to acquire these domain extensions like I showed above. This shows you that if you want your business to survive you need a .com domain name.

2. It is the Most Popular
Forget all the fancy TLDs that are being released by ICANN in recent years, no one wants them. This is the reason why most domain registrars are willing to sell you .biz, .ecommerce, .website at a ridiculously cheap rate. It is because no one wants them, if they are popular, they won't be sold at such cheap rate. Dot come TLD is the best and the most expensive because of the benefits that are attached to them. Your business will have more chance to compete and become popular when you are using a .com domain extension.sector, why the hell would you want to change that? In fact, most of these businesses paid millions of dollars to acquire these domain extensions like I showed above. This shows you that if you want your business to survive you need a .com domain name.

3. Easy To Remember
Like I mentioned above, most people usually assume that every website ends with .com. You will have to keep on reminding your customers that your website ends with something else when you are not using a .com domain. Think of thousands of business you will be losing. To make it worst, if your competitor gets his hand on .com extension of your website, he could end up stealing all your customers and crumble your business. Do you want that to happen? Certainly no way.

If you don't want to keep on losing traffic, business, and potential customers to domain name companies or competitors, you will need to do yourself a favor and get a .com extension.

4. Important for Branding and Authority
I wanted to save this point for last. Do you know why? Because thousands of companies and startups are looking for a .com domain because of all the reasons mentioned above. No one starts a business worth millions of dollars use anything else but .com domain names.

Your business will lack respect, authority, and even has trust issues when you are not using a .com domain name. Most customers view websites with other TLDs apart from .com with somewhat distrust. It will be difficult to carve a niche for yourself without .com extension. This TLD is necessary to demonstrate authority, longevity, and trust. Good .com domains are indicative of good business sense and tell a lot about your business.

The importance of branding and authority is the only reasons why companies are willing to pay millions of dollars to pay for dot com domain names. For big brands or start-ups that want to carve a name for themselves in the industry, not having a .com domain is like shooting yourself in the leg.

ake it worst, if your competitor gets his hand on .com extension of your website, he could end up stealing all your customers and crumble your business. Do you want that to happen? Certainly no way.

If you don't want to keep on losing traffic, business, and potential customers to domain name companies or competitors, you will need to do yourself a favor and get a .com extension.

If you want to start a website flipping business or you want to resale your domain name in future, it is extremely important that you invest only in .com domain extensions. At the moment, no other extension has a resale value more than dot com TLD. You can buy a .com domain extension for as low as $10 or $2000 and sell it for more than a million dollar in the future.

In conclusion, someone still has a doubt why .com is called king com?

•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
king.png

•••
I think it is a very good article. As pure new gTLD investor, I would agree with 90% of it.

If someone would ask me, what would you prefer to be given: 10 great 1 keyword .com names, or 10 great new gTLD combos, I would go for first option anytime. It is because if you own 10 great .com names, they are very liquid, and you can sell them for large amounts of money. There is no doubt about it. From this perspective .com is a king.

If I would own large company, I would also want to have .com, in first place. Personally, for me, as I know there are lot of great new gTLD combos, in some cases I would go for new gTLD name, but generally it is clear that at this stage most end users will go for .com, and they have valid reasons described in the article. From this perspective .com is also a king.

So why some of us invest in new gTLDs? The reason is last sentence in the article:
"You can buy a .com domain extension for as low as $10 or $2000 and sell it for more than a million dollar in the future"

This is one of few sentences there I do not much agree. I do not think in 2017, you can invest money in range of $10 or $2000 and get million dollars in future. What can be observed is that if you invest reg fee and choose great and trendy name, you can get XXXX, and XX XXX in some cases. Also XXX XXX possible in few cases. But normally it is few thousands of dollars. To resell for millions of dollars for $100 investment was possible, but that was long time ago, years ago. Now we are in 2017. All good .com names are being long time distributed between investors who are very well aware of their prices. Competition is huge, prices are established and well reported.

New gTLDs are different story. I personally perceive them as much more risky investment, liquidity is much lower at the moment, comparing to .com. But you can get some very good names still for reasonable prices, as there are lot of doubts, prices are definitely not established, data are not yet sufficient, new extensions are still to come, etc. This is the main point. Every investor has different views of what level of risk he or she can accept. If you want stable/proven/liquid go for .com, but beware of huge competition and much higher acquisition cost for really good keyword .com domains. If you want to explore new territories/are not so risk averse/can plan or hold for longer, you can go for new gTLDs.

It is similar as in real estate or stocks market - there are cheap or expensive properties, riskier or established stocks, etc - but you can win in all of those areas, if you are prepared, and you know what you are doing (and are a bit lucky too). One does not need to compare if riskier stocks are the king, or more stable stocks are the king..as those are just 2 investment instruments and each is suitable for different kind of investors. Just imho.

I wish good luck both to .com and new gTLD investors :)

•••
Such holywar threads are appearing regularly here...
Some kind of religion... nothing more.

•••
•••
Every investor has different views of what level of risk he or she can accept. If you want stable/proven/liquid go for .com, but beware of huge competition and much higher acquisition cost for really good keyword .com domains. If you want to explore new territories/are not so risk averse/can plan or hold for longer, you can go for new gTLDs.

Very well said.

•••
  • The sidebar remains visible by scrolling at a speed relative to the page’s height.
Back