I believe it is because search engines recognize yourdomain.com and then it is easily found in the search engine. For example if i wanted to try to sell a domain to an end user and came here for an appraisal I would not want the NamePros appraisal thread to be one of the top search results... yourdomain . com is also viewed the same as yourdomain.com so by putting the ( & ) in their it doesn't show as relevant in search results...
Ok but I am confused as to why it would be a bad thing if your site comes up on a forum? Isn't it the more your "brand" or domain is out there the better?
Ok but I am confused as to why it would be a bad thing if your site comes up on a forum? Isn't it the more your "brand" or domain is out there the better?
It all depends on what your goals for the domain are. If you plan on holding on to your domain for quite some time and developing it then I don't see any reason not to spell it out like yourdomain.com. However, if you are trying to sell the domain then you may want to spell it out like yourdomain (.) com or yourdomain DOT COM or whatever so that if you try to sell the domain to someone and they Google "yourdomain.com" then a NamePros thread doesn't pop up in the search results with some potentially unfavorable things said about your domain.