IT.COM

discuss Why so much for Registration and Renewals of .Cars

Spaceship Spaceship
Watch
Impact
One of my clients wanted .Cars .Car .Autos for his Dealerships and found out today from Godaddy that it is $2,795 a pop to register and then the same each per year to renew.

Does anyone know why it is so much compared to the other new extensions out there. not even the .XXX extensions were this much.

Thanks,

Darbin

•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
Because they can charge it. It is probably best to just avoid these at this point.
This is what happens when you have a registry that is delusional when it comes to basic supply & demand.

Sooner or later the registry is going to face reality and supply & demand will dictate the prices will need to be lowered.

Brad

•••
I searched a few .cars names and all were that price. On to something else. Like .com

•••
Two possibilities; they are either too dumb to realize that no one will buy anything at that price, or they're smart enough to get dumb people to spend that much in the beginning and drop prices once demand decreases.

•••
All renewals, not just "premium" terms, retail at over $2,500/year. It is totally absurd.

All the registry is going to do is limit adoption with that business model.

Brad

•••
1) Maybe they think all car dealers are rolling in cash.

The registration/renewal averages out to about $110 a month -- about the equivalent of maybe an hour or so of what the dealer charges for labor (at least in big city USA). The dealers just need to overcharge one customer each month for an extra hour of repair work and they've covered the cost of the domain!

2) It's a money grab!

On a side/personal note, there is no love lost between myself and car dealers. Dealers have NOOOOO problem sticking it to non-savvy car buyers so if the registrar can suck this kind of cash out of them I'm MOOOORE than happy to support them in taking the dealers to the cleaners!

•••
If any dumb person decide to register .cars, he/she shouldn't forget to register .car as well, so their business doesn't lose online traffic by typo errors (car, cars). Clear money grab. Very unethical too.

•••
The registration/renewal averages out to about $230 a month -- about the equivalent of maybe two hours or so of what the dealer charges for labor (at least in big city USA). The dealers just need to overcharge two customer each month for an extra hour of repair work each and they've covered the cost of the domain!

FIFM -- Fixed It For Myself!
(Somehow divided by 2 before calculating monthly cost.)

Last edited:
•••
So you guys are saying that Frank Schilling and Daniel Negari are dumb?

•••
It's a new day with many new releases, I've said it before. Donuts seems to be staying within reason but many are untouchable for investors. Actually I don't see how anyone other than a large profitable business, or a huge player going for these.

.protection - $2,699.00 per yr..
.security - $2,699.00 per yr..
.car, .cars and .auto - $2,099.00 per yr..

The way I look at this is congrats to those who got in early on great one word gTLDs, those who can find bargains in future launches. If this becomes the norm, it actually might help many of us who own lower priced newer gTLDS but as always JMO. :)

I can assure you I won't reg. any of the above...

•••
  • The sidebar remains visible by scrolling at a speed relative to the page’s height.
Back