IT.COM

discuss Why many Generic Term Domains (e.g.: dentist.com) are NOT used?

Spaceship Spaceship
Watch

scotch

Established Member
Impact
Domain pros, would anyone tell me why so many generic domains are sitting non-used. To name a few:
dentist.com
carmechanic.com
drycleaners.ca

I understand if one is in the above business these domain cannot be trademarked, but they can definitely be used to point to brand websites. Why let those amazing domain go to waste?

•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
What do you mean? All three are used. One is parked and displays ads and the other two are listed for sale.

•••
because being sold and resold again and again? Maybe, in fact, the key of this business.

Last edited:
•••
Domain pros, would anyone tell me why so many generic domains are sitting non-used. To name a few:
dentist.com
carmechanic.com
drycleaners.ca

I understand if one is in the above business these domain cannot be trademarked, but they can definitely be used to point to brand websites. Why let those amazing domain go to waste?
My guess is the price may be out of the budget of most or maybe names that are brandable or descriptive serve people's budget and business better.

If you want a computer, do you go to computer .com?
If you want food? do you go to supermarket.com or grocery or groceries.com? or even food.com?
If you want to buy toothpaste.. do you go to toothpaste.com?
If you want to buy clothes... do you go to clothes.com
If you want to buy a website... do you go to websites.com?

Now you can be highly successful with such names, like Hotel.com (even this required excessive branding)
I would not even know about hotel.com if i didn't see it all over the NBA. Generic names have authority and natural traffic, but it's not easy to brand.

I thinking madeup names or descriptive names might be easier to brand for the average guy

If i wanted to start a dry cleaning company... i probably wouldnt call it drycleaners.ca because how would that separate me from all the other dry cleaners.

some weird name that's hard to forget may sound better like: The Fabric Spa .. would work better imo

But i could be wrong. it's all about branding. and leaving your mark. otherwise bestbuy, Apple or amazon etc would have already bought computers.com

they probably realized that you could make a random name connect to computers in people's mind more than computers.com (The power of branding)

Last edited:
•••
  • The sidebar remains visible by scrolling at a speed relative to the page’s height.
Back