IT.COM

Why lose this domain, after I already won the auction

Spaceship Spaceship
Watch

darishzao

Impact
Hello guys,
Recently I won an auction in "Dynadot" for a domain I really wanted for a project. But a day later I receive a e-mail telling me this :
The expired domain auction for ****.com has been cancelled because the original registrant has transferred the domain to another domain registrar.
If you’ve already sent payment, we’ll automatically credit it to your Dynadot account as account credit.

How and why can a registrar just transfer the domain I won to other registrar, I been wondering what is this about, and can I do something about it?

I am pretty new to this, so I am assuming is something I missed.

•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
In Dynadot expired auctions, there’s a grace period in which the previous owner can renew/extend/transfer to maintain control of the domain. If they don’t do so within the grace period (general 3-4 days), then Dynadot collects your money and transfers the domain to you. IME, the owner usually doesn’t renew, but this does happen from time to time.

•••
I suspected this to be the case, guess I shouldn't celebrate before time on this things.

Thanks Optixgroup.

•••
From my experience with Dynadot expired auctions, many quality domains get redeemed after the auction.

It is probably done by owners who are trying to gauge market value, or get interest in their domains.

Brad

Last edited:
•••
It is probably done by owners who are trying to gauge market value, or get interest in their domains.

^ Exactly this.

Also, I think the name gets added to everyone's watchlist if they've bid on it before it was renewed or transferred, so after the owner renews it, they can list it for sale at Dyna and I believe that everyone watching it will get pinged that it's available for sale.

I think expiring auctions attract more attention than user auctions, so I think people are able to game things a bit by getting attention on their expired auction without having to commit to selling it, and then being able to list it for sale.

I'm not 100% positive on this, I just remember getting emails for domains I'd bid on in the past like this, so that's what I figure people are doing. It's not a bad strategy from the seller's POV to use the system Dyna has in place, but definitely annoying as a bidder.

•••
Godaddy used to do this, until they fixed it.

Shame on @Dynadot, @calebdynadot

People who send their “expired domains” to auction only to renew; are worst! — Feels intentional, and abused.

Please fix this! This is fraud.

Last edited:
•••
^ Exactly this.

Also, I think the name gets added to everyone's watchlist if they've bid on it before it was renewed or transferred, so after the owner renews it, they can list it for sale at Dyna and I believe that everyone watching it will get pinged that it's available for sale.

I think expiring auctions attract more attention than user auctions, so I think people are able to game things a bit by getting attention on their expired auction without having to commit to selling it, and then being able to list it for sale.

I'm not 100% positive on this, I just remember getting emails for domains I'd bid on in the past like this, so that's what I figure people are doing. It's not a bad strategy from the seller's POV to use the system Dyna has in place, but definitely annoying as a bidder.
I believe Godaddy was rampart with this and a small fix, completely prevented this.

Now, perhaps more taking advantage of DD loophole.

Shame @Dynadot! Why wont try ”expired” auctions.

Last edited:
•••
An expired auction doesn’t guarantee you get a domain as the expired auction takes place at the tail end of the grace renewal period. Registrants have every right to renew that late in the game if they so choose. It happens alot.

The super annoying thing at Dynadot is they try to give account funds for these kind of losses unless you demand a refund. Since they choose to run auctions on still renewable domains refunds to payment method used should be automatic.

I recommend you pay for the auction as late as possible in the 48 hr period you have to pay.

Last edited:
•••
It appears to be a widely-used practice for registrars to accept one's payment method, only to find some reason to cancel the purchase and refund to account funds. This ties up that money, should the customer want to take their business elsewhere.

•••
^ Exactly this.

Name silo does similar but they don’t allow you to renew after the auction; just up till the last minute.

•••
Name silo does similar but they don’t allow you to renew after the auction; just up till the last minute.
Which seems like a more reasonable way to do it.

In my view auctions should be timed that when the auction ends, the original registrant no longer has rights.

Brad

•••
  • The sidebar remains visible by scrolling at a speed relative to the page’s height.
Back