Domain Empire

Why is single better than plural??

Spaceship Spaceship
Watch

Lyte

Pros Against PrejudiceEstablished Member
Impact
Howdy!

Okay, so why is a singular name (e.g. sale.com) better than the plural version (sales.com)??

Thanks!

•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
It is or it is not. Depends on the name and what you will do with it
Namepros is better than namepro
Buydomains is better than buydomain

•••
not all the time, depends on the name

•••
Sounds logical! :) I just recall reading a couple posts that said the singular version would have been better and I didn't see how that was the case. Naturally, I can't think of the name or post right now! LOL

•••
Alot of the time, the singular version will be searched first or more often but it depends on the word and context. Classified and classifieds can mean two different things.

Lyte said:
Sounds logical! :) I just recall reading a couple posts that said the singular version would have been better and I didn't see how that was the case. Naturally, I can't think of the name or post right now! LOL

•••
Apple ..and.. Orange

-OR-

Apples ..and.. Oranges

Just Depends on the context of the Search ~

•••
If you use WordTracker , you get the plural and singular forms, whereas Overture generally lumps them together. I like to use both, for the overview.

•••
if you are concerned about accidental type ins... you are more likely to get type ins with singular words... they are more often used...

singular words also carry a much more braud field... where plural words are limited

•••
"Sale", for me, implies a product at a discount, or a storewide event. "Sales" is the plural of this, but I associate it more w/ a staff or dept that is selling the product. "House Sale" comes across as a single house for sale, whereas "House Sales" implies a real estate agency or department. The Google numbers are comparable w/ the singular having the slight advantage. I'd take either, (he-he), but in this instance would lean slightly towards the singular.

•••
The singular is almost always 1 character less and sometimes 2 characters less. (watch vs watches).

As previously said, it really depends on the context of the word and what sounds more natural based on the intended use. If registering a single word, I often look for multiple variations that are useable like the following

Bike
Bikes
Biker
Biking
(in very few cases the past tense is usable as in biked)

•••
It depends on which form is typed more often. Your visitors could accidentally make a typo of lets say a plural domain of yours and type in the singular form of it instead. It would benefit you if you register both because someone else could steal your traffic by registering one form or another.

•••
Neither singular nor plural is in and of itself better. It all depends on the term.

•••
  • The sidebar remains visible by scrolling at a speed relative to the page’s height.
Back