IT.COM

question Domains With Variations Taken by HugeDomains/BuyDomains

Spaceship Spaceship
Watch

mixing

Established Member
Impact
HugeDomains and BuyDomains obviously seem to know what they're doing when it comes to buying & selling domains. I don't think either place would be around for as long as they have been if they weren't successful.

So my question is... If there's a domain that you can hand reg which has a similar variation (plural vs non-plural) listed on one of these platforms, would you grab it?

For example, if HugeDomains has BlueWidget.com listed and BlueWidgets.com is available to register - would you get it? Keep in mind, both of these domains would actually make some sense for end users. This wouldn't be a comparison of something like "Shop" and "Shops" where there is a big difference between the two words in terms of end user value. This would be something more like "Necklace" and "Necklaces" where both the plural and non-plural versions could be pushed to end users.

For those who may have registered names like this in the past were the plural or non-plural version was listed in HugeDomains or BuyDomains, were you able to sell it? For instance, did one of these companies come and buy the name from you?

•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
I don't think you are suggesting a smart strategy. In your example the plural domain may have been registered first and HD or BD simply picked up the singular in the hope they could sell to the first party or a copycat IF the initial domain becomes a successful website. Years later the plural is dropped because it sucks, it doesn't mean you should buy the singlular version because HD or BD made a gamble that never paid off. They are stuck with a worthless domain and will drop it, don't compound their error with your own. Buy domains that have some intrinsic value.

•••
I don't think you are suggesting a smart strategy. In your example the plural domain may have been registered first and HD or BD simply picked up the singular in the hope they could sell to the first party or a copycat IF the initial domain becomes a successful website. Years later the plural is dropped because it sucks, it doesn't mean you should buy the singlular version because HD or BD made a gamble that never paid off. They are stuck with a worthless domain and will drop it, don't compound their error with your own. Buy domains that have some intrinsic value.

Thanks for your reply cerno. I don't want anyone to think that I am suggesting this as a strategy. BD and HD have extremely large portfolios that most of us will probably never be able to build. On top of that, they also have more funds for registrations and renewals than most of us probably have. That's why I'm asking if anyone has ever tried such a thing (maybe with a handful of domains) and actually had any success with any of them selling. This could even be if, when they purchased those names, they didn't even notice that the similar version was listed on one of these platforms, but then discovered it after the fact.

•••
  • The sidebar remains visible by scrolling at a speed relative to the page’s height.
Back