Dynadot

discuss Why domainers don't like new gTLDs?

Spaceship Spaceship
Watch

Premiums

find.venturesTop Member
Impact
Just wanna know why, domainers don't like new gTLDs?

•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
I personally like new gTLDs very much - my whole portfolio is based on them :)

For those that do not like them I would advise - try to get better names, and more knowledge about what is available atm. And you need to put lot of hours into this as well. Which means also to reach to relevant end users. Chatting here at forum will not do that, and although it is important as well, and I like it, each minute one spend complaining here is a minute you can use to connect with founder of startup, or marketing director at lets say, Linkedin.

•••
I personally like new gTLDs very much - my whole portfolio is based on them :)

For those that do not like them I would advise - try to get better names, and more knowledge about what is available atm. And you need to put lot of hours into this as well. Which means also to reach to relevant end users. Chatting here at forum will not do that, and although it is important as well, and I like it, each minute one spend complaining here is a minute you can use to connect with founder of startup, or marketing director at lets say, Linkedin.

So which of your domains have you sold using that method.

•••
Last edited:
•••
the best way to sum up why gTLDs suck is this:

I used to use stocks.exchange for crypto.

and even though I'm obv into domains and own gTLDs, and even though i'm fully aware of the website. And even though I'm actively trying to go against the stereotype that people aren't aware of gTLDs, so they don't understand they're an address....

...despite all that, I found myself typing in stocks.exchange.com on autopilot when I wanted to visit the exchange. It happened enough times that I honestly realized that gTLDs would never really make it.

it's not that people aren't aware of gTLDs, it's just that the .com brainwashing won't really end. As long as .com is prevalent, people will be conditioned into thinking websites end in .com.

I'm sure lots of people will argue with me. but it's from my own personal experience. the fact that most of the sites I visit everyday have me typing in xfiojasofjsafj.com, over and over... it takes an actual flip of a switch effort to NOT type .com at the end of an internet address in the address bar.

companies would find this undesirable tbh. when your customer has to make an extra mental effort just to type your domain into the search bar (that's like step 0 of whatever "consumer journey to conversion."), well anyway it's just not good.

imho the only way people will be used to gTLDs is if there's some kind of radical shift away from .com websites. The two can't really coexist happily.
oh and while walking, I actually retrospectively had an epiphany while thinking about this post. I realized that whoever owns exchange.com (it just doesn't resolve) could make so much money on simple ad revenue from people landing there from all the .exchange typos. Not just stocks.exchange, but everyone who puts a .com at the end of an .exchange address.

so gTLDs actually help .com's value. Anyone with a one-word .com in a possible gTLD gets their domain value pumped hard. I realize now why one-word .coms can go for over 5-figs... because of the chance that it might turn into a gTLD and the revenue from all those typos... ginormous.

i'd say if you owned a beautiful one-word .com, like even bite.com... you should hodl it for at least 10 more years just for the chance that a .BITE gTLD comes out and you're suddenly bringing in four figs or more just from parking.

•••
<<< This guy likes new gTLDs :xf.smile: Governments are using .travel quite a bit and I see local businesses here using .melbourne so public awareness will increase. I agree that the .coms are preferable but new gTLDs can be nice alternatives or compliments.

•••
.travel was launched in 2005...

•••
•••
I sold 4 nTLDs as of today...
~$640 per domain in average...
All domains were Non-Premium and even Non-English.

Last edited:
•••
  • The sidebar remains visible by scrolling at a speed relative to the page’s height.
Back