question Why domain age is matter?

Spaceship Spaceship
Watch

domainonliner

Established Member
Impact
Hi!

Why domain age is matter?
What are difference beetween 20 year old domain and domain registered yersterday for buyer if there wasn't any site on it?

Thank you!

•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
Hi @domainonliner ...

Technically there usually no big difference (particularly if it was never a website).

However .. chances are that if someone bothered to pay 20 years in renewals, then the PROBABILITIES are higher that it is a better domain than a new one.

That does NOT mean an old domain is always better than a new domain, but if you're looking at thousands of domains a day, then you're much more likely to find better domains if they are older as opposed to newer.

This question has been asked several times in the forum in the past .. I recommend you do a search to get significantly more information ...

https://www.namepros.com/threads/age-of-a-domain-does-it-make-a-difference.1082833
No ... and Yes .. lol

Technically from an SEO point of view it makes little difference if the domain was registered but never used.

If it was used, then it could hold certain SEO benefits of backlinks .. and more importantly regardless of SEO .. existing backlinks can bring you traffic.

But as for sheer domain value there are valid points on both sides ...

On the wholesale (liquid) level, many domainers do indeed give weight to age .. not so much for the actual age .. but more for the probabilities that ages brings. If a domain has been registered for ages then there's a much higher chance of it being a good domain for the simple reason it was good enough for someone to keep renewing it year after year. But ultimately there are tons of people out there who register and renew absolutely garbage and worthless domains for 10, 15 and even 20 years! So while a domain's age can help you find better domains .. it in ZERO way means a domain is actually good in any way. Most aged domains are garbage .. it's just that on a percentage basis they are likely to be less garbage than younger/hand-reg domains. That being said .. there are still many domainers who think age is important .. so that fact in itself does make age a factor on the wholesale level (regardless as to if it should be or not). So yes .. and no.

On the end user (retail) level. I doubt it really matters much. The only reason it might matter is if it's used as a sales tactic to market the domain and the end user believes age is important (when it actually isn't). In some cases age might indirectly come into play where a domain has been taken for ages and end users actually have been wanting it .. so when it finally does become available for sale there is better edmand for it than younger domains. But again .. this is a trend that comes with age .. not an absolute rule in any way and it definitely is only true in a minority of better quality aged domains. So again .. no and yes.

At the end of the day I think it's ok to give a little weight to domain age when looking to buy domains .. but in no way should you ever buy any domain simply because it is aged. But if it can be the difference if deciding between buying OrangeDog.com and PurpleDog.com if one is 1 years old and the other is 21 years old. But even in that case it's entirely possible the 1 year old domain is the one that will sell for more and sell faster.

Remember that each domain is unique .. so be sure to do your research or deep thought/debate before buying any domain! :)

https://www.namepros.com/threads/is-age-always-critical.1127948/
The age of *A* domain has virtually nothing to do with it's value. However ...

The age of domains in general, on scale, is one of many factors domainers look at to weed out the crap. It's a probabilities thing.

Basically if a person or company bothered to pay renewals on the domain for 15 years, then that increases the probability of it being a good domain. But to be clear .. it does NOT mean a domain is good if it is aged .. nor does it mean that a domain is bad if it's not aged.

It simply means that if you take 2 random domains, the older one will likely be better.

That being said .. within the domainer community the importance of that fact I think kinda grew into it's own thing .. and as such there are actually some domainers who do put more value on aged domains ... and the irony of that .. actually means that indeed within the domainer community there actually is more demand/value on aged domains simply because of a domain's age.

So yeah .. indirectly aged domains do have a tiny extra advange just because they are older .. but it's based on a false narrative that became self-fulfilling. That being said .. I don't think it changes the value to justify over paying for them.

So in terms of wholesale pricing there could be a little bump ... but it really doesn't make much difference to end users in many cases. Although again .. if a potential buyer isn't set on a domain yet and is "window shopping" .. if the domain was tagged "aged domain", then it could be a factor for the buyer because he believes the "hype" and marketing even if at the end of the day age makes no difference to end users.

In fact .. age could technically be a bad thing for end user buyers if the domain had a questionable history with spam etc .. could make for problems sending out emails or getting ranked in google .. but in the end that's not really a factor in most cases.

Where age can be a huge factor is when searching for expired domains ... if you only have 10-15 minutes to search, then you're likely to find better domains if you filter based on age.

That being said .. some of my best domain VALUE PURCHASES have been domains in lower age tiers .. the ones that other people don't have the time to search for so I can grab with little competition or even at closeout.

The one instance where age obviously does not and can not apply .. is "future tech" .. which I would say is what category your "Handsfree Crutches" falls into.

Recent trends are things like drones, crypto, cannabis .. none completely new .. but there has(/had) been such explosive growth in those industries that there were not enough existing domains to fill the demand .. so then the only choice is to handreg.

I almost exclusively buy expired domains at auction and closeout .. however .. every now and then if I'm watching the news, I'll jump to try to register something that looks like it could be a future business or trend. Really does not happen often though (like twice a year .. lol) .. usually 90% the domains are taken ... looks like you got lucky! :)

•••
•••
  • The sidebar remains visible by scrolling at a speed relative to the page’s height.
Back