IT.COM

question Why Do Some People Space o u t Their Domain Extention?

Spaceship Spaceship
Watch

Ategy

Arif M, NameCult.com TheDomainSocial.comTop Member
Impact
OK .. I've already got half a dozen probable reasons why some people space-out their domain from it's extension here in the forums. I know it's likely to avoid being searchable .. but just curious as to the actual real reason why?

Just to be clear ... I mean stuff like this:

domain (dot) com
domain . com

Instead of just: domain.com

•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
It's to prevent it from showing up in search engines.

domain (dot) com
domain . com
Your examples will not prevent it from showing up in search engines, but this will (Space in-between each letter):
  • d o m a i n . c o m
(Unless someone searches for "d o m a i n" with spaces, it won't show up for searches of "Domain.com" or "domain".)

This will prevent it from showing up in search engines when the exact domain is searched:
  • domain . c o m
(Will not show up when "domain.com" is searched.)

Hope that helps,

•••
My reason..I buy a domain here for $10.00 at a auction..sure dont want a future potential buyer finding out that price through a search. Especially when I trying to get way more..

•••
OK .. I've already got half a dozen probable reasons why some people space-out their domain from it's extension here in the forums. I know it's likely to avoid being searchable .. but just curious as to the actual real reason why?

domain (dot) com
domain . com

One of the reasons is that they don't want Google to show/catch up their domanname on namepros (and the price it once was sold or bought), so the spaces avoid this from happening

•••
Yeah .. I'm actually looking to start selling domains .. so I don't really care about them being searchable (on the odd minute chance it drives a buyer to me .. lol) .. was just curious as to the reason why people wouldn't want their domains searchable .. the pricing thing @Domainstore mentioned was one of the ones I thought of .. but I was wondering if there were other reasons I didn't know about that would make me consider start doing it myself, because I've seen it done a few times when there was no mention of price .. but I'm guessing it's simply because sellers (NP members) don't want their buyers to come here via a search of the domain, then to find other possible domain choices.

•••
In addition, depending on which forum you are reading it on, new members often can't post links before they hit a certain number of posts...so they may try those methods to get around the forum rules.

•••

domain (dot) com
domain . com

Attention

•••
What are the views on p|i|p|i|n|g ?

•••
@Eric Lyon Does the <code> block get indexed? Asked from a senior mod but he wasn't 100% sure.

•••
  • The sidebar remains visible by scrolling at a speed relative to the page’s height.
Back