IT.COM

Why .coms

Spaceship Spaceship
Watch
Impact
i always ask myself why does everybody want a .com domain
why not using you own country abbrev like .be for me or .us or .fr

isnt that much easier so everybody knwos were your business is located?

•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
a lot of businesses like to give out the aura of being 'global' which the .com does - I like to have my own country domain (.co.uk) as well as the .com as I find a lot of people in the country will use either or when searching for a site.

•••
always that 'global image' why does everybody wants to give itself a global image, is a straight line not good enough?
really dont understand those people..

•••
.com was the first tld plus its also known as the dotcom revolution most of all its hightly recognizable at the end of the day it comes down to the demand supply ratio we all know its hard to find a good .com

•••
.com is the one that everyone would know, if you go to someone on the streets and ask them about it, they would most likely know it.

•••
There's one .com, but hundreds of country codes...

•••
I also heard this, is it true

HI All

I read some where owning a .com is also better because with more and more people getting computers and by default IE is installed on their pc, and if they type a keyword in the address bar of IE without the .com it automatically thinks that the user wants the .com version of the domain ,

Thus getting more traffic for common keyword domain names,

Any comments on this,

Thanks
Tom Dahne

Expired Domain Software
http://www.expireddomainsoftware.com

•••
Re: I also heard this, is it true

Originally posted by ezimedia
HI All

I read some where owning a .com is also better because with more and more people getting computers and by default IE is installed on their pc, and if they type a keyword in the address bar of IE without the .com it automatically thinks that the user wants the .com version of the domain ,

Thus getting more traffic for common keyword domain names,

Any comments on this,

Thanks
Tom Dahne

Expired Domain Software
http://www.expireddomainsoftware.com

Not true, at least for me. I typed in "hosting" in the address bar, and it went to MSN search. The first result on that page was:

www.superb.net

not even a .com, and instead a .net!

•••
Re: Re: I also heard this, is it true

Originally posted by armstrong
Not true, at least for me. I typed in "hosting" in the address bar, and it went to MSN search. The first result on that page was:

www.superb.net

not even a .com, and instead a .net!

Well, there is a shortcut key that adds www. and .com to whatever is in the address bar.

•••
I doubt very much your average user knows that. And even the ones who do know it won't use it often.

By the way, what is that shortcut key? I might use it. :hehe:

•••
this is why .com is currently best

its like how we think

when we hear the world internet or domain we instantly think .com

•••
For whatever reason, .COM eventually became the norm.. and like generic domain names that command a premium, .com is generic enough not to need qualifiers like a country code. and is .COM (as in commercial, etc.) and not a network (NET) or organization and so on... More importantly, .COM's have become the accepted norm to be the domain and tld of value .. and whether one agrees with why this is so or not, is irrelevant, because the world already accepts it this way. Just like Apple may have better products than those in the PC world, but the PC is the king of the hill anyway, the world may accept the prevailing standards, even if they defy logic. Ditto for .COM.

•••
ok i know the shortcut but isnt that pushing you and pushing the world to register .coms??

•••
CTRL+ENTER is the shortcut!

•••
we knew that already :) :) lol

•••
  • The sidebar remains visible by scrolling at a speed relative to the page’s height.
Back